20 replies to this topic

#1 Veez

Veez

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Toyota Model:RunX RSi

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Hi

Due for an Oil change and a few friends suggested i use Castrol Edge 5W40 or maybe Castrol Magnetec 10W40.

Between the two - Which would be better on the 2ZZGE?

I have used Mobil1 0W40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 before - but cost is a bit too much.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 lateralus

lateralus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • First Name:lateralus
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model:Subaru WRX hatch MY11
  • Year: 2011

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

first of all, it's 5w30. and it would be fine in the 2zz. while theres nothing wrong with the magnatec, i think the edge 5w30 is much better suited to a high revving 4 banger - 2zz in a nutshell.

there's also edge 0w40, which is about $30-$35 more than all the other edge oils and harder to find. but thats the one thats actually recommended for your engine.

#3 eviltwin

eviltwin

Corollaism is a Religion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • First Name:Mick
  • Toyota Model:AE82 Twincam Corolla & AE95R 4WD Wagon
  • Year: 1986

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

i bought 5 litres as it was on special at 30 bucks but otherwise i wouldn't have , id much rather place penrite in at the correct weight as JP mentioned.

#4 chicaboo

chicaboo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Toyota Model:1998 Nissan Pulsar VZ-R

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

Magnatec is no good, go for Edge.

#5 eviltwin

eviltwin

Corollaism is a Religion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

As Jas told me , edge breaks down quickly so providing you do frequent oil changes it will be alright...

#6 Brad-dreama

Brad-dreama

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Toyota Model:WTB stubby antenna

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

I used 5w40 in my stivo and I found that it burned a bit too fast.
I have 10w30 atm. Are you sure 0w40 is good to use? Our climates different to jp/

Correction, I'm sure I was using edge that seem to burn quickly/

Edited by Brad-dreama, 02 November 2009 - 07:52 AM.

#7 lateralus

lateralus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • First Name:lateralus
  • Toyota Model:Subaru WRX hatch MY11
  • Year: 2011

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

Are you sure 0w40 is good to use? Our climates different to jp/

thats what castrol recommends in the edge range for the 2zz. otherwise they recommend magnatec.

#8 CHA54

CHA54

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts
  • Toyota Model:various
Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

I use Edge 10w60 in my engine as that's what it's bearing clearances were setup for. It does seem to break down fairly quickly, I do oil/filter changes every 5000km.

#9 Modena

Modena

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Toyota Model:Corolla 07 (Auris)

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

With naturally aspirited cars (corollas) there is no need to change the oil earlier than 10,000 KMs, especially if you use quality fully synthetic oils like Mobil1, Motul or Redline as these oils work better the longer you keep it. Turbo cars usually change oils around 5000 KMs mark because of the turbo.

Dont waste money changing too frequently.

I have Mobil1 5w-30. Love it.

#10 eviltwin

eviltwin

Corollaism is a Religion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

I disagree completely but i respect the above opinion. The frequency of oil changes in my mind is reflective on how the vehicle is driven , where it is driven and what it's purpose is. I can 100% guarantee oil change intervals on the same motor with the same treatment will show different results regarding engine life and general running day to day , especially with age, that said if you treat the car well it will serve you well in return.

#11 Blind Kid Seeks

Blind Kid Seeks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Toyota Model:AE93SX
Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

With naturally aspirited cars (corollas) there is no need to change the oil earlier than 10,000 KMs, especially if you use quality fully synthetic oils like Mobil1, Motul or Redline as these oils work better the longer you keep it. Turbo cars usually change oils around 5000 KMs mark because of the turbo.

are you on crack?

oil breaks down.... and even good quality oil. Oil also helps to clean your engine, capturing particles as a by product of combustion.

The more frequently you change the oil, the less particles of carbon, engine, or any other minute fragments the oil collects in its life, your engine will be subjected to.

irrespective of if you are NA or FI... new oil is good for your engine.

i change my oil frequently, because i want o preserve the life of the engine, keeping it clean, and working efficiently.

#12 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • First Name:K
  • Toyota Model:ZZE122 Corolla
  • Year: 2003

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Just a random note,

Super Cheap Auto is selling these Castrol Edges 5w-40 for $29.90

Sale starts 4/11 (thursday)

#13 CHA54

CHA54

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts
  • Toyota Model:various
Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

MAP81's 1zz has had mobil1 oilchanges every 5000km from new, when the cam cover was removed at 100,000km the topend still looked brand new, perfect bright clean alloy. Lots different to some other 50-60,000km old motors which have the dealer recommended service intervals (not sure what oil used) which have a yellowish tinge under the cover.

#14 chicaboo

chicaboo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Toyota Model:1998 Nissan Pulsar VZ-R

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

MAP81's 1zz has had mobil1 oilchanges every 5000km from new, when the cam cover was removed at 100,000km the topend still looked brand new, perfect bright clean alloy. Lots different to some other 50-60,000km old motors which have the dealer recommended service intervals (not sure what oil used) which have a yellowish tinge under the cover.

I observed that with Castrol Edge 5W30 in my Astina. When I got the car at ~30,000kms, it had the usual mucky brown look to the cams and valve train. But after using Edge every 5k for so long, it becamse a clean polished light golden/honey colour until the day I sold it. It just looked like brand new clean metal with new oil tipped on it. I can't say the same about my TX3 which has had Penrite and Motul go through it for the last 2-3 years it was driven, but it's an old car...

Gav.

#15 jps137

jps137

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • Toyota Model:Camry Altise Ltd Corolla Levin SX & Tarago GLi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:13 AM

are you on crack?

oil breaks down.... and even good quality oil. Oil also helps to clean your engine, capturing particles as a by product of combustion.

The more frequently you change the oil, the less particles of carbon, engine, or any other minute fragments the oil collects in its life, your engine will be subjected to.

irrespective of if you are NA or FI... new oil is good for your engine.

i change my oil frequently, because i want o preserve the life of the engine, keeping it clean, and working efficiently.

Think of the cost of your oil change (quality of oil and frequency) vs the cost of your engine. I view it as insurance for my engine

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users