Window Tinting advice

riftime

I'm hoping someone has more knowledge (than I) on the matter and can share some light...

I've always had tinted windows and am now thinking about getting my Presara's windows tinted. However, I was reading somewhere (the owners manual I think) that some window tints are incompatible (metal based tints)? Specifically the rear window, something about blocking the GPS and or sat/phone system.

I don't know much about types of window tints, is there a particular type I should get or stay clear of? I had a quick chat with someone in a booth in the middle of the shopping center advertising window tinting for ~$140. I asked them about this but the sales agent didn't demonstrate much knowledge on the matter and was keen to sell me their product regardless of my concerns. Needless to say I walked away.

Furthermore, they were offering a service whereby they pick up your car from home and bring it back to you when complete... :lol: No offence to their outstanding customer service, but I'll be driving my own car thank you to them and supervising. Call me paranoid, but I'm not keen on having others drive my car...

On my old car I had the dealer organise window tinting. Cost me $500 (!!!) with lifetime warranty. Later I found out that they just drove the car around to tint-a-car, probably paid $200 and pocketed the rest. Despite the lifetime warranty, one window (driver door) started peeling at corner recently. So my question is are there different qualities in window tints and/or companies fitting them? I'm not looking to shop around for the cheapest tint, I'm looking for the best tint.

I'm in Melbourne, any good tint places around the northern suburbs ?

Thank you.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had tinted windows and am now thinking about getting my Presara's windows tinted. However, I was reading somewhere (the owners manual I think) that some window tints are incompatible (metal based tints)? Specifically the rear window, something about blocking the GPS and or sat/phone system.

Me too, after talking with 2 shops namely Tint-A-Car & TintProfessor and few calls, I decided to leave my car un-tinted. By the way, a shop gave me around 20 differrent types of many brands (including one famous sunglass brand) varying from $300 to $800.

I'm living in a SE suburb of Melbourne.

BH

I just got mine done the other day 20% all round and 15% on the back. The back needs to be slightly darker because they use a carbon film to stop the interference. It cost me $210 with a lifetime warranty. :D
r

S%!T thats a lot cheaper than the Fatory tint (added options). But I would have not got off my **** to get it done otherwise.

I just got mine done the other day 20% all round and 15% on the back. The back needs to be slightly darker because they use a carbon film to stop the interference. It cost me $210 with a lifetime warranty. :D
r

S%!T thats a lot cheaper than the Fatory tint (added options). But I would have not got off my **** to get it done otherwise.

When i spoke to my local tinter he told me if i went through the car yard they would just get him to do it anyways. He also said the yard would put their bit on top as well.

Our Presara has 35% metallic tint all round and it doesn't affect the GPS or phone system in any way.

Tinted by The Tint Professor for $240.

So what if i was interested in getting a new tint soon, would it cost extra for them to remove my old tint or what?

By the way I had the tint done before I picked up my Auris...i mean 07 Corolla :P

BYW, the best window film i have ever used is 3M's-- reduce up to 99% UV, 79% solar heat, and relect up to 35% of indoor heat back into the room. I got it in my Holden Astra it works really good. You can feel it especially in the sunny day.

When I went to the TOYOTA dealer, they said the window film they using called Solid Tint(never heard of that) can only reduce 35% UV ray. -_-

Edited by Squall

I'm hoping someone has more knowledge (than I) on the matter and can share some light...

Hi Riftime,

I decided to get the manufacturer tint, by Diamond Tint. 20%. Was abit expensive, but comes with lifetime warranty, and im quite happy with it.

Can post pics if you want.

I've just booked in with Solartint - the dealer was going to charge me in excess of $400.. :-p

As mentioned in one of my note: I went to Tint-A-Car, they showed me many types from $250 to over $800 - Tintprofessor gave me one-quote-fit-all $265 ..... well it turned out very hard decision.

BH

I've just booked in with Solartint - the dealer was going to charge me in excess of $400.. :-p

As mentioned in one of my note: I went to Tint-A-Car, they showed me many types from $250 to over $800 - Tintprofessor gave me one-quote-fit-all $265 ..... well it turned out very hard decision.

BH

Over 800, what are those ones?

Might be a silly question, but you know how there's already proven technology in the optometry world for "transition" lenses? (those that darken in proportion to the amount of UV hitting them)... Why don't they make tint films like that so that at night the windows are NOT tinted, but during the day they are ?

Wouldn't that be nice ? However, going by the price optometrists charge for transition lenses, a tint job will cost more than the car!!! :lol:

If transition can't be made in a "film", then Toyota should have it as an option for the type of glass used.

... just thinking out loud

I too would be interested to know what kind of tint costs more than $800 !!! Cross my fingers that it's the one I'm describing above, but somehow I doubt it.

Edited by riftime

BYW, the best window film i have ever used is 3M's-- reduce up to 99% UV, 79% solar heat, and relect up to 35% of indoor heat back into the room. I got it in my Holden Astra it works really good. You can feel it especially in the sunny day.

When I went to the TOYOTA dealer, they said the window film they using called Solid Tint(never heard of that) can only reduce 35% UV ray. -_-

It's called "Solar Tint" actually..

not sure if "solar tint" is smashproof, coz 3M is..

• 2 weeks later...