200 Series Dust Problems

safari

We have 2 LC 200 series glx. one is the deisel and one the petrol. They have both done about 15000 km and we are having huge problems with dust on the interior. It makes no difference weather the A/C on on recycle or not. It comes in through the door handles, window controls. Even the storage compartments in the back tailgate have dust comming out of them.

I am waiting on some info from Toyota but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Other wise they are both great vehicles.

We have 2 LC 200 series glx. one is the deisel and one the petrol. They have both done about 15000 km and we are having huge problems with dust on the interior. It makes no difference weather the A/C on on recycle or not. It comes in through the door handles, window controls. Even the storage compartments in the back tailgate have dust comming out of them.

I am waiting on some info from Toyota but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Mate. I think you will find that its not dust as in road dust from outside of the vehicle, but general dust, same as what you have to dust at home.

I think it seems to be bad, or worse than it is by the fact that the LC 200 has a black dash / console. I used to get a similar amount of dust in my 100 series, but because the dash / console was grey, it was seen less ir just not as visable.

I use a rag with 'armour all' protector with 'dust repeller' on the dash / console area. Seems to work OK.

Cheers.

Edited by ConeHead

• 1 month later...

It is definately road dust, it commes out of the door fittings (locks etc). These cars get wiped down almost daily. Toyota have now told me not to run the a/c on recirculate as that causes low pressure inside the vehicle which is causing the dust to be sucked in through the doors.

They now have a new problem on both of them. The door seals on the top half of the tailgate have worn through the paint on the bottom half where they join up.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

PS. I have attached some pics...sorry about the quality.

post-10007-1223526247_thumb.jpg

post-10007-1223526271_thumb.jpg

post-10007-1223526304_thumb.jpg

post-10007-1223526330_thumb.jpg

post-10007-1223526365_thumb.jpg

It is definately road dust, it commes out of the door fittings (locks etc). These cars get wiped down almost daily. Toyota have now told me not to run the a/c on recirculate as that causes low pressure inside the vehicle which is causing the dust to be sucked in through the doors.

They now have a new problem on both of them. The door seals on the top half of the tailgate have worn through the paint on the bottom half where they join up.

Good day Safari & other 200 drivers.

1st time on this forum, as usually on the Terracan forum (TCO = TerraCan Owner - haha).

I am fortunate as I share a 200 series as a work vehicle with a"back to back" partner.

Ours must be one of the first in Aus, and was delivered late Dec 2007, and now has 38000 kms on the clock.

I would be guessing that about 8000 kms would have been on gravel in the Pilbara WA,

We don't have an issue with the dust, but we never use recirc on the gravel unless there is oncoming traffic, and never follow others in the dust (just pull over and have a leg stretch).

What I normally do with oncoming traffic is crank the fan up high for 10-20 seconds, and the put onto recirc when passing the other vehicle.

We travel on some real crap roads and tracks, and on most occasions when I open the tail gate, I stand back because of the dust.

When I am back at work next, I will check our rear door seals for wear.

TCO.

Good day Safari & other 200 drivers.

1st time on this forum, as usually on the Terracan forum (TCO = TerraCan Owner - haha).

I am fortunate as I share a 200 series as a work vehicle with a"back to back" partner.

Ours must be one of the first in Aus, and was delivered late Dec 2007, and now has 38000 kms on the clock.

I would be guessing that about 8000 kms would have been on gravel in the Pilbara WA,

We don't have an issue with the dust, but we never use recirc on the gravel unless there is oncoming traffic, and never follow others in the dust (just pull over and have a leg stretch).

What I normally do with oncoming traffic is crank the fan up high for 10-20 seconds, and the put onto recirc when passing the other vehicle.

We travel on some real crap roads and tracks, and on most occasions when I open the tail gate, I stand back because of the dust.

When I am back at work next, I will check our rear door seals for wear.

TCO.

I'm just back from 5000ks in 9 days of outback travel in my 200 GXL TD to Ulura and back (see other post). Dust was minimal and that included some dry dusty off road work in the Breakaways and Little Desert. We used aircon about 50% of the time only.

The black trim does show a bit more dust but we had very little overall.

Not sure why you are having such a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have taken my LC 200 GXL TTD to Limmen Bight NT and drove down the Nathan River road. The LC 200 had very little dust inside. In a comparison the previous trips into the area with a 120 Prado a higher level of dust was experienced. I am very happy with the interrior sealing of the LC 200.

Hi there,

my name is Mick and have experienced similar unnacceptable dust ingress to my new 200 series, is it ok if you could call me on 08 9434 2182 or 0423159962w to discuss further as my typing is pretty slow!! I also have been pursuiing this with toyota...

thanks,

Mick

I have 200 series and I used to have problem with dust. My dealer advised to use fresh air as the a/c automatically goes to recirc everytime I start the car. Since I have been in thick bulldust and I just use a high fan speed with fresh air and I now have no problems. If you are having problems think about taking off recirc and using the highest fan speed if you are in bad dusty conditions.

• 2 months later...

Hi Safari

What is the latest on your dust problem ? I have a brand new LC 200 (Australian build). After 400km dirt road it has more dust inside than outside ! Even the glove box is full of dust. Your feedback will be appreciated. Regards from South Africa

• 3 months later...

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm from Chile,Patagonia, South America.

My brother and I bought 2 LC 200 VX Diesel on April 2008.

We imported them from Belgium.

This summer we went to the Chilean Patagonia and we traveled about 1000 Km on off-road .

We were shocked with the dust that ingress into the cabin in both LC 200.

We asked to our local dealer and he said that "It's normal"

Yes, sure .....normal

Well I don't think so., I'm not agree with that.

It's absolutely unusual that you can see the dust flying in front of your face .

It supposes that the LC it's made for this kind of off road travels

It's unacceptable that a vehicle of that COST present that kind of problem.

I have made the same travel many times in my old Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi 1996 .... and surprise!!! I never had this disagreeable problem.

Recently I've been in Bolivia and I've suffered the same problem ,a lot of dust in the cabin.

I really appreciate that if you heard of any solution could send me an e-mail (jmalcalde@netline.cl)

I hope that my English was understandable.

Sincerely,

Jose Miguel.

Hello,

This summer we went to the Chilean Patagonia and we traveled about 1000 Km on off-road .

Yes, sure .....normal

It's absolutely unusual that you can see the dust flying in front of your face .

I have made the same travel many times in my old Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi 1996 .... and surprise!!! I never had this disagreeable problem.

Recently I've been in Bolivia and I've suffered the same problem ,a lot of dust in the cabin.

I really appreciate that if you heard of any solution could send me an e-mail (jmalcalde@netline.cl)

Sincerely,

Jose Miguel.

Jose, try this.

Always use "Fresh" on gravel with fan at medium.

Never use "Recirc" on the gravel unless there is oncoming traffic, and then switch back to "Fresh"

Never follow others in the dust - just pull over and wait..

What I normally do with oncoming traffic, is crank the fan up high for 10-20 seconds, and the put onto "Recirc" when passing the other vehicle, and then back to "Fresh".

Our 200 LC has 62,000 km's and about 15,000 of these km's, are on dirt.

TCO.

Hello,

Yes, sure .....normal

Sincerely,

Jose Miguel.

Jose, try this.

Always use "Fresh" on gravel with fan at medium.

Never use "Recirc" on the gravel unless there is oncoming traffic, and then switch back to "Fresh"

Never follow others in the dust - just pull over and wait..

What I normally do with oncoming traffic, is crank the fan up high for 10-20 seconds, and the put onto "Recirc" when passing the other vehicle, and then back to "Fresh".

Our 200 LC has 62,000 km's and about 15,000 of these km's, are on dirt.

TCO.

TCO,

Thanks for your recommendations.

Next time I'll try it.

Regards,

José Miguel.

• 4 months later...

one of the problems those of you may be facing with dust...

even if you use Fresh mode, to reduce negative pressure in the cabin and not suck dust in, is an automatic switchover feature that Toyota air/con units feature, which switches from fresh to recirc automatically after 3 minutes of equalised temperature - your local dealership should be able to disable this. Generaly this is designed to save you fuel use etc - but is not relevant in a LC etc.

• 4 months later...

There was another poster to whom I responded to re the dust problem. ;)

For those of you experiencing dust, can you confirm if you have the Toyota trailer wiring loom fitted to your vehicles? The reason why I ask is because so many installers are too slack to do the job properly and do not fit the rubber grommet that keeps the dust out.

Edited by tempestv8

I am also curious to find out whether your dealers have done anything to address the dust problem for those of you who have experienced the dust issue. Please feedback to the forum, otherwise your post isn't much help to others who may be experiencing this problem (I'm not one of them).

• 13 years later...