Resetting the ECU

Northy

1) disconnet the battery for 30mins+

2) reconnect the battery and let the car idle for 5-10mins (make sure all the acessories are OFF)

3) turn the car off and disconnect the battery for ~30sec

4)

dont forget to do two laps around the car while patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time ;)

5) reconnect the battery, start the car and drive the rings off it.

This speed's up the recalibration process, the 30mins is to clear the ECU so that it rememebers nothing, the 30sec is to let it reboot so to speak, its like updating system files on a PC it needs to reboot to use them the ECU works in the same way, and as for driving the "tit's" of your car, your ECU will learn how you drive and the first 2-300km is its steepest learning curve so you have to shape it so to speak so that you get the end result that you are looking for.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northy,

Just to add, I did this, however I found the following beneficial (this is similar to both Toyota and Nissan ECU's with the learning function)

1. Disconnect battery, pump brake, this eliminates the requirement for leaving it for 1/2 hour as it drains the residual charge from the entire system.

This is all I did before connecting and driving it hard with all accessories off. I did not do 2 or 3 and seemed to work fine. I did this after changing fuel, fuel filter, and air filter. Seat of the pants it feel better...but dyno proof would have been better!!!

not certain how true this is but somone told me that

for the first 30-50kms after the reset you shouldnt hit redline as it slows down the learning curve

cus the ECU rejects it or something cus its trying to learn from scratch again

like learning how to ride a bike after so many years you can do it but your a little unsure at first

so you should only go like 7000rpm give it a 700rpm gap before hitting redline only for first 50km but then next 150kms HAMMER it lol

but you still need to drive it hard for it to learn how you want it too

yup afaik it happens to all stivos

just keep pressing it n eventually it will return to normal  :)

yup press button till window gets to bottom...keep holding for 2 seconds.

pull button to push window up....kepp holding for 2 seconds once at top..

Problem SOLVERED!!

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone confirm this for me.

When I reset my ECU, I disconnect the negative lead from the battery and leave it for 30 mins then re-connect it.

Is that how you disconnect the battery???

Just want to know if that's how you do it and if I'm doing the right thing???

Does it matter which lead? Positive or Negative? Will taking the negative lead give me a negative outcome??? :lol::rolleyes:

P.S. Also...has anyone notice that when you reset the ECU, the car seems to be sluggish for the first 10 mins??? Everytime I reset, (Yes I idle the car for 5 mins, then disconnect the battery again for 30secs) my car is so sluggish that sometimes it feels like it's gonna stall. I've find a way to stop this by swicth the car off (I park the car first) the starting it up again. This seem to stop the idling problem. But sometimes the recalibration is crap...like slow pick up and sluggish. I just reset the ECU again.

Has anyone here have problems when they reset their ECU???

Edited by In_D_Major

• 2 weeks later...
dont forget to do two laps around the car while patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time ;)

Hey, why not, its known to give me good luck!

Or maybe it just resets Buddha's ECU (Energy Collection Unit)! :lol:

Can someone confirm this for me.

When I reset my ECU, I disconnect the negative lead from the battery and leave it for 30 mins then re-connect it.

Is that how you disconnect the battery???

Just want to know if that's how you do it and if I'm doing the right thing???

Does it matter which lead? Positive or Negative? Will taking the negative lead give me a negative outcome???  :lol:  :rolleyes:

P.S. Also...has anyone notice that when you reset the ECU, the car seems to be sluggish for the first 10 mins??? Everytime I reset, (Yes I idle the car for 5 mins, then disconnect the battery again for 30secs) my car is so sluggish that sometimes it feels like it's gonna stall. I've find a way to stop this by swicth the car off (I park the car first) the starting it up again. This seem to stop the idling problem. But sometimes the recalibration is crap...like slow pick up and sluggish. I just reset the ECU again.

Has anyone here have problems when they reset their ECU???

yeah mine does that. Especialy After I've installed the CAI.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys thanks for all the replys, as for the problem, it occurs at low rpms and not just at high rpms (even then i dont seem to get lift at those times: which may be a problem with the vvti??)...the throttle response seems to diminish on the days that i have the problem..

this happens on a weekly basis, i have to keep hoping if it runs better everyday..

as for the suggestion for resetting the ecu, i will try that asap and wil post back any changes

thanks everyone

woops guys sorry wrong forum topic!!

• 2 months later...

Anyone else notice that the Auto Power window switch doesnt work for two days or so after youve reset the ECU <_< .

Happens with mine and a friend of mine.

just keep pressing it n eventually it will return to normal  :)

Problem SOLVERED!!

Hey Everyone,

I performed a ECU reset tonite and had the same problem with the electric windows. The button lights kept flashing. I tried pushing all the way down the holding all the way up. What I noticed was that you had to do that to all the passenger windows first on their actual buttons on their respective doors, then do the driver's window, otherwise the driver's window won't fix itself.

Just putting what i've noticed out there.

Cheers everyone

Anyone else notice that the Auto Power window switch doesnt work for two days or so after youve reset the ECU <_< .

Happens with mine and a friend of mine.

just keep pressing it n eventually it will return to normal :)

Problem SOLVERED!!

Hey Everyone,

I performed a ECU reset tonite and had the same problem with the electric windows. The button lights kept flashing. I tried pushing all the way down the holding all the way up. What I noticed was that you had to do that to all the passenger windows first on their actual buttons on their respective doors, then do the driver's window, otherwise the driver's window won't fix itself.

Just putting what i've noticed out there.

Cheers everyone

Correct. People need to know this to save them running around to Auto Elecs asking what the heck is going on with my car. Not to mention save some money too as some members on here didn't know this including myself :(

• 3 months later...

the ECU is constantly adjusting it's parameters. "Resetting" it just makes it start from scratch again, and it learns it's way back to how it was... depending on your fuel and driving style etc etc. You do not have to reset the ECU when you modify the vehicle, it will learn over a couple of hundred K's.

The purpose of "resetting" and ECU is to clear error codes when there's a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
the ECU is constantly adjusting it's parameters. "Resetting" it just makes it start from scratch again, and it learns it's way back to how it was... depending on your fuel and driving style etc etc. You do not have to reset the ECU when you modify the vehicle, it will learn over a couple of hundred K's.

The purpose of "resetting" and ECU is to clear error codes when there's a problem.

sorry to bring an old thread to life...when i get my cai (got it in the last group buy).... i got told the same thing from toyota (what rollamods said)..

by reading the above posts most people find a difference after resetting (good that is)..but if it does this itself is it worth it ??

thanks