Power FC

well as most of you know I now have a Power FC (PFC) for my car and its intsalled/tuned and the car is running.

the PFC was not made for the sportivo corolla, its for the celica the celica has a diff ECU to us so the PFC was NOT just a simple plug and play exersice. There are quite a few differences in the looms of the two car as well as some pins not existing the in the corolla, this lead to its own set of issues and after many hrs of troubleshooting/testing we got the car to a stage that its driveable, we are still in the process of ironing out some more issues but in the coming week or so it should be working 100%

here are some pics,

The Unit and the Hand Controller

gallery_247_113_1128217996.jpg

The Hand Controller during Start up

gallery_247_113_1128217960.jpg

Results.

Well after getting the car tuned there was a significant difference in the total power and also the midrange, the car pulls so much harder now out of lift then before (few of the brisbane guys will testify to that) we also moved the lift point down a few hundred RPM as well as extedning the fuel cut up to 8600RPM, the extended lift range has made it very easy to stay in lift even when going up hills, now even if i miss shift when i get it into gear im still in lift. The following dyno was done at the tuners and i have removed the total power output figure as the point of this thread was to show the gains as we all know total power cannot be compaired unless the cars run the same dyno at the same time.

gallery_247_113_1128222881.jpg

I also added a set of Cusco Zero 2's to my collection, these have made the car fantastic to drive,

Fronts Fitted

gallery_247_113_1128039972.jpg

Rears Fitted

gallery_247_113_1128039939.jpg

All 4 Before Fitting

gallery_247_113_1128039895.jpg

Ride Height

gallery_247_113_1128039412.jpg

gallery_247_113_1128039451.jpg

Edited by Northy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont tell me you're one of those homo's too scared to post the actual power figures before/after....

So can you drive with the electrical load now? Did you use my suggestions?

i am very interested in how much the PFC cost too please tell everytime i ask no one wants to tel is it that much of a secret or to embarassed to admit paying the high price

cheers guys

i am very interested in how much the PFC cost too please tell everytime i ask no one wants to tel is it that much of a secret or to embarassed to admit paying the high price

cheers guys

fitted/tuned was bit under $2500AU

cheers guys

fitted/tuned was bit under $2500AU

Great stuff Northy.. how i wish i had a PowerFC today :( tried to shift quick and ended up crunching 2nd gear again.. :angry: i'm getting the ****s now with the gearbox.. could have shown the auto BA XR8 who's boss..

must feel great to have LIFT cut in at 5800rpm though same as VTEC, u won't even need to raise the redline then and should be able to land LIFT sooo comfortably now.. how envious :(

Hmmm, not to knock your "investment" or anything Northy, but that PFC looks to be a bit of scam, considering the price.

And overall approx 5% increase in power accross the range (and undocumented gains on torque)? What you are really paying for is the alteration in fuel cut off and lift times, although save a bit more and you could get much better gains in accordance to money spent via either internal engine work or F/I.

May i ask why you opted for such an expensive mod that doesnt really give its worth? Personally the only reason i can see in it is as ground work for some more major engine mods, but for that price, you could get a MOTEC ECU with much greater tunability - although finding someone who can tune one of those well for the 2zzge may prove to be difficult...

Hmmm, not to knock your "investment" or anything Northy, but that PFC looks to be a bit of scam, considering the price.

And overall approx 5% increase in power accross the range (and undocumented gains on torque)? What you are really paying for is the alteration in fuel cut off and lift times, although save a bit more and you could get much better gains in accordance to money spent via either internal engine work or F/I.

May i ask why you opted for such an expensive mod that doesnt really give its worth? Personally the only reason i can see in it is as ground work for some more major engine mods, but for that price, you could get a MOTEC ECU with much greater tunability - although finding someone who can tune one of those well for the 2zzge may prove to be difficult...

N F I :lol:

Japanese Racer's rely on Apexi (Now Apexera) or similar priced and specified ecu's for tuning around 200hp (154kw) ATW outputs on small capacity n/a engines.

They only switch to MOTEC or similar once they start chasing outputs well over that.

the motec unit was over 3K thats not including fitting/tuning, im chasing up another dyno print with the torque curve on it, i have the PFC now so that if down the track i decide to do some more work (i have a few things in mind) i wont be limited by the ECU. Also from what the tuner said about the stock map and how the car reacted to tuning was that when he changed the AFR and even some of the ignition/injection timing he was not seeing the usual gains, touch the cam's and he said the engine came to life so to speak. Emanage/Unichip cant do this so the only real option was the PFC

for a MOTEC you are looking at about double what Corey payed...

2.5K well spent I say :D :D :D

great work Northy, time for me to start saving... more...

its a vichious loop mate, you save then see somthing that looks nice so you spend lol, the car gets heavier and my wallet gets lighter :blink:

Ok guys before this breaks out into a biatch fight let me step in and lay the facts down so people can then make their own decisions:

1) Internal Work = Bigger cams, better valves, better valve springs, etc etc etc

ok the cams for the 2ZZ are 1600 USD to get these fitted etc ur looking at 2000+USD.... and then chances are because u have bigger cams your going to want to advance the cam timing etc etc will ur gona need an ECU to do that ....

Valves and valve springs .... again just for the parts ur looking at 1200USD and to fit is like another grand or so..... oh n did i mention these are useless unless you are actually going to be pumping out extra power some how ..... hmmm maybe and independant ECU ?????

Now onto F/I ...... Ok after lots of research and im prepared to debate this with anyone a F/I kit for the 2ZZ is going to set u back u know approx $4K+. Now this does not include the time spent fitting tuning etc etc etc oh and speaking of tuning yep once again ur gona need an independant ECU ..... PFC anyone ?

2) The motec...... ok the base model motec unit that will even meet our needs is approx $3K then u need to pay for the CAM timing add-on unit a few more hundreds (mind u this comes built in to the PFC so no extra cost) now tuning for this is gona set u back approx 700 to 1000. Now mind u this is with no messing around and the fact that it works straight away..... Also i have the proven facts of what the motec will do for the 2ZZ and its not better than the APFC.....

Now where am i going with this ..... If ur going to do any sort of mods to the car the stock ECU is not sufficient enough to get out of it the full potential of ur mods.... Piggy backs ....well been there done that .... tuning ignition timing and A/F ratio is also not enough ..... Now independant ECU ..... ok now lets look at the market here... APFC for Under 3K fitted or Motec for over 4K..... ???? I dont know about anyone else but i certainly dont have that sort of cash lying around ....

Now before i get flamed ill argue the motec perspective ..... If u notice all track racers hook their cars up with motec's ..... Why?? at that level of car competition the motec is built for purpose ..... and to do this to a street car is complete over kill.... Mind u i dont know if its been sorted by the motec has issue with cold starts on the 2ZZ ......

So now that its all out there people make up your own mind ..... But at the end of the day if ur serious about your performance if u dont get yourself an independant ECU to make all the appropriate tweeks your just kidding yourself.... Also did i mention the nifty hand controller on the APFC which allows for on the fly tuning ....from memory i could be wrong and someone please let me know if i am the motec doesnt have one of these and the diagnostics are all done via a laptop....

Well Mintos till you've actually driven this car I feel that you are totally not qualified to comment on the gains made with the power FC.

I drove Northy's car and the first thing you notice is the amount of torque and pull the thing has under 4000rpm. It just makes the car so much more effortless to drive as you don't need lift to get the thing to accelerate hard.

I'd go as far to say that you'd beat a 1zz without using lift and I know that will upset you 1zz owners but Northy's car will start to break traction if you sink your boot into it from about 3000 rpm onwards.

Hills that I accelerate up hard in say 2nd in lift Northy can accelerate nearly as hard in 3rd off lift. We drove up a certain private test mountain with some others from this forum and we hardly hit lift all the way due to the fact that the car was accelerating more than hard enough and we had more than enough speed to keep it on the road in a safe manner!(cusco's are friggen awesome!!)

As for hitting lift, fall asleep at the wheel and still land gearchanges in lift!!

We also tested Northy's car with his RSM(although this isn't totally 100% accurate) we managed on a semi wet road with a slight uphill to start then flattens out, 2 of us in the car and Northy slightly missing 2nd and 4th change to pull a 15.8 400m at about 143km/hr!

So basically it is as far as i'm concerned worth every cent and as he's the guinea pig for a PFC on a 2ZZ then of course tuning costs will be slightly more expensive.

Northy.. just letting you know..

Your stivo is one of the nicest i have seen..

absolute sex mate..  i just wish i had the money to get mine looking as nice as yours

thanks motoman, i did do a good job didnt i :lol::lol:

northy isn't disappointing us isn't he.

yeah well i have an AMIGA 500 in my car and it plays cool games like silkworm and shinobi and giana sisters (like mario brothers but involves sisters)

oh and by the way....i did my yearly mod to the car....i got the ces exhaust put on :) sounds gr8 and i think its increased the output of my car to at least 200kw at the wheels!!!!!

peace out whoremungers

absolute sex mate..  i just wish i had the money to get mine looking as nice as yours

Yes let's not forget who did most of the work to it so far :D

thanks i wish i could say it was all my doing, but credit needs to be given to master shao

haha, good to see you are still kicking mate

Well done!

Keep up the good work!

Who did the tuning?

tuning was done through AMS in Sydney

mintos - Northy, Xoon, myself and alot of others have looked at full ECU replacements and have gotten alot of dynos and other informatiuon from tuners and companies alike. Once you start looking around you'll realise why northy went with the PFC

NORTHY! - TWO BIG THUMBS UP MATE!!!!!