Tow Bar

Aurion

Mine is genuine and only sticks out 135mm on my ZR6. The pics arn't great but they give you the idea.

The stock ones look alright. The only issue is I'd prefer a removable one and there is no 'goose neck' on the removable one. If you trace a line back from the tow-ball on your stock bar it will penetrate vertically in the middle of the bumper, or through the black trim or even half through the black + coloured section of the bumper. IMO it would look crap but I've not seen any pics of a removable tow-bar on a Sportivo . . . yet

i installed one from Parkside because it has a 50x50 hitch instead of the Hayman Reece which is only 40x40. both are removable ones. i installed it myself and the hardest part was to make sure the cutout pattern was in the right spot. the ZR6 body kit sits on top of the original std aurion bumber. the body kit itself comes 20mm further out to the original skin. so if you cut the skin from the inside, you need to line up the cut to the second layer (body kit part). also if your vehicle is pre April 07 as mine is, you need to run one cable all the way to the ECU through the LHS vehicle interior. that cable is already built in with the Original Toyota wiring harness. if the car is post April 07, then the plug in the boot should have it already pre-wired and the extra cable in the wiring harness doesn't need to be run.

i hope i didn't make it too confusing. i'll try to get some pics to show you.

cheers

Mine is genuine and only sticks out 135mm on my ZR6. The pics arn't great but they give you the idea.

The stock ones look alright. The only issue is I'd prefer a removable one and there is no 'goose neck' on the removable one. If you trace a line back from the tow-ball on your stock bar it will penetrate vertically in the middle of the bumper, or through the black trim or even half through the black + coloured section of the bumper. IMO it would look crap but I've not seen any pics of a removable tow-bar on a Sportivo . . . yet

i installed one from Parkside because it has a 50x50 hitch instead of the Hayman Reece which is only 40x40. both are removable ones. i installed it myself and the hardest part was to make sure the cutout pattern was in the right spot. the ZR6 body kit sits on top of the original std aurion bumber. the body kit itself comes 20mm further out to the original skin. so if you cut the skin from the inside, you need to line up the cut to the second layer (body kit part). also if your vehicle is pre April 07 as mine is, you need to run one cable all the way to the ECU through the LHS vehicle interior. that cable is already built in with the Original Toyota wiring harness. if the car is post April 07, then the plug in the boot should have it already pre-wired and the extra cable in the wiring harness doesn't need to be run.

i hope i didn't make it too confusing. i'll try to get some pics to show you.

cheers

If you could get pics that would be great. Thanks guy for the other pics. I think the removeable one would stick out more than the standard one, as you need room to get the pin in and out. I would probably go for the standard one in terms of aesthetics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Whilst on this topic, can you fit the standard Camry tow bar to the Aurion. I know the wiring harness is compatable, and some after market companies say that they fit, but I need to check up on this as this may influence my next car purchase as I change cars every 12 months, towbars are a high change over cost.

Regards

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi all-just purchased a Aurion Touring with parking sensors and will shortly be getting a Toyota Towbar fitted. Question-has anyone had any experience with the towbar/ball affecting the rear centre parking sensors? I'd like to leave the bar/ball etc fitted permanently, but am not too keen to have the rear parking sensors go off by detecting the tow ball all the time.

Thanks

PS the parking sensors can surprise; I left mine on and was stopped at traffic lights when the sensors went off-it was a motor bike weaving to the front of the queue!

New both to parking sensors and this forum, so please be gentle.

some pics of the towbar

i hope it helps

Argie... Those pics are of the Hayman Reese tow unit ? I want to get the same on my SX6 instead of the awful looking non removable Toyota units. Did you fit it yourself or have someone at a shop fit it up for you ? roughly how much was it all up? I think the guy in my area is taking the ***** when he quoted me close to $1000, claiming it was Toyota that was charging him the most for the wiring harness. I have fitted plenty of tow bars in my life and know that i have fitted some pretty heavy duty ones and never come close to $1000 fitted.

Thanks p_square. After posting and before seeing your reply, I had a bit of an experiment with putting a camera tripod (fairly chunky head) behind the car about where I imagined the towbar would be-and yep no detections. But if I moved the tripod a bit further away, the detectors would go off. Which is a good thing if you are about to back into a low bollard.

See how it goes for real in a week or so.

• 5 months later...
I got quoted $625 for a removable hitch type towbar 50mmx50mm from Parkside Towbars in WA and $840 for a Hayman Reese 40mmx40mm from Auto Extra. Both use the genuine Toyota wiring loom. Ended up going with one from Parkside

I am hoping that you can help me as you have a 50mm x 50mm removable hitch. I am very interested in buying a 2008 model Toyota Aurion Prodigy. I believe it has all the safety, environmental and economy features for which I am looking.

At present I have a 1998 Holden Berlina and two a 16 foot caravan (Crusader Monarch) 1100kg, ball weight about 150kgs. When I bought the van I was told I needed a Haymann Reece 50mm x 50mm Weight Distribution Hitch, which I obtained. I also since have fitted a Hayman Reece Friction Sway Control Bar - which is absolutely excellent.

The problem is that I am being told by Haymann Reece and fitters of tow bars that I can't have a Haymann Reece 50mm x 50mm Weight Distribution Hitch fitted to an Aurion! Why not!! Nobody has been really able to tell me!! I believe such a hitch is extremely important in distributing the weight evenly over the four wheels of the car - particularly in the case of a front wheel drive car! What is your experience?

Want one

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread.... :(

Just traded in my Presara for a TRD 3500SL and picking it up next week.... :P :P

Anybody got a TRD with a tow bar? Pics please if you've got one. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Gents,

Just wondering if anyone else has since had a Hayman Reece towbar fitted to their Sportivo, if you wouldn't mind posting up some more pics? :D

Plus, would be interested to know if anyone has done the following:

Has anyone modified the factory Tow Bar to relocate the wiring loom so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Things like this make me think the FAQ need a re-think/ update. Been a while and the are many more aftermarket products people use now instead of trying to track it down from overseas.

God work mate!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I know it's old but I didn't find my answer.

Any pics of a Haymen Reece?

I'm also interested in the 50mm bar/why can't the weight distribution kit be fitted?

Thanks mate for that PDF file, my theory was just eight bolts, haha how wrong was I haha.

Appreciate the help guys