Fuel consuption on the 2004/2005 Camry Sportivo

sottovoce

u must drive like a kangaroo (hard starts and quick stops) to have that sought of a measurement for a 2.4L, either that or your tripo is stuffed, or your sportivo needs a check?

ive driven a 05 camry v6 for 6mths and it was 11.5, with roughly city (75%) & suburb (25%) driving.

try accelerating smoothly and allowing the auto gear box to change gears by raising your pedal slightly when accelerating to 3+rpms. i rarely go beyond 3000rpm on any gear unless im angry :spiteful:

I have a 2007 camry Sportivo and usually sits on aroound 8.5L/100k But recently i have noticed when i first fill with fuel it will show something like 50L/100k for a few seconds then drop to around 20L/100k then slowly drop to mid 8's to 9's over next day or so.

fuel econemy seems about right though, get about 650k on a tank,anyone know why it would show those readings?

well sottovoce u could always just double check the measurement with your own "real" measurement.

fill in a predetermined amount of fuel and see how many kms that gets u.

always is the best and most accurate way.

I get about 14L/100km in my Sportivo V6. It's mostly city/suburb driving with the occasional motorway sprint.

I admit I'm a pretty aggressive driver, so that will mostlikely have an effect on the fuel consumption :rolleyes:

I have a 2007 camry Sportivo and usually sits on aroound 8.5L/100k But recently i have noticed when i first fill with fuel it will show something like 50L/100k for a few seconds then drop to around 20L/100k then slowly drop to mid 8's to 9's over next day or so.

fuel econemy seems about right though, get about 650k on a tank,anyone know why it would show those readings?

that's normal, it takes couple of KMs for the Fuel Consumption reading to get accurate. I have the 1.3L echo and I got the Scangauge II and I do between 6-8L/100km. Also after I fill the tank, the "Tank To Empty" reading starts from 800km -- 700km -- 600... but yeah after several kilometers of driving it will stabilized. :spiteful:

u must drive like a kangaroo (hard starts and quick stops) to have that sought of a measurement for a 2.4L, either that or your tripo is stuffed, or your sportivo needs a check?

ive driven a 05 camry v6 for 6mths and it was 11.5, with roughly city (75%) & suburb (25%) driving.

try accelerating smoothly and allowing the auto gear box to change gears by raising your pedal slightly when accelerating to 3+rpms. i rarely go beyond 3000rpm on any gear unless im angry :spiteful:

I usually try to accelrate slowly and never go beyond 3 rpms. Plus I usually try to go light on the pedal. You were saying about getting it checked. I actually just bought this Camry second-hand for about 2 months now and waiting for my 45k service (currently slightly over 41k). What are the common problems maybe with the Camry that could lead to higher fuel consumption?

My calculations was done as such - is this the best way ? :-

a. reset the counter when I fill up to the max

b. drove for about 2 weeks and then fill up again

c. used the number of litres vs kms on my counter

Camry 2003 Altise 2.4L , get 9.5L /100Km drive very steadily using cruise control once get into M4, mix 30% surburban and 70% Hwy (M4), everyday drive 110 Km to go and back home in the last 5 years, using Caltex 95 Octane fuel, fill up every Wed morning of the week( Cheaper fuel ), the engine oil is Castrol 5-35W change every 5000Km.All the time air cond Off.

Edited by NDH

• 3 weeks later...

2005 Camry Sportivo 4 cylinder (ACV36R). Around 38,000km on the clock.

Here is what I did to measure my fuel consumption:

1. Filled up my tank.

2. Reset odometer

3. City driving i.e. always drove within 20KM of Perth CBD, lots of starting/stopping. Did not refill until fuel light came on

4. Noted KM on odometer (476.2)

5. Filled tank, noted how many litres it took (56.53)

Does this equal 11.871L per 100KM? (i.e. divide 476.2 by 4.762 to get 100, divide 56.53 by 4.762 to get 11.871).

It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to go through a tank, and I generally use the cruise control as much as possible, but I do note this month a suprising number of lights have turned orange while I was going through them, and I tend to floor it when that happens.

Usually my fuel light lights up around 490KM - so I guess this really does mean I've been more aggressive.

This month I'll try to take it easier on the pedal, and see how much my fuel consumption improves. Will make another post in a few weeks.

Edited by RaZeR

• 2 months later...

err

why am i the only one getting around 8-9L/100km? any1 here with the old non vvti engine getting those figures?

what i usually do is fill up till full, which is 70L (not sure if its 70L usable or 60L usable with 10L on red light) and reset the tripo. ive done this time and time again and i always achieve more than 750km with 40%highway and 60% suburb/city driving. been using vpower for 2mths.

ive achieved more than 1000kms with 80Litres whilst drivin up 2 lakes entrance. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 05 4 cyl altise. auto.

Highway typically between 8 and 10 depending on the % short trips on the same tank.

Driving across australia I've gotten low 8's - like 8.2, 8.3, 8.4.

I've had 7.9 L/100km using shell 91, best ever was 7.7L/100km using shell V Power.

If I do mostly short trips on the tank I would get between 10 and 12.

Since I've owned the vehicle my long term consumption (= all fuel and all mileage) has been 9.6L / 100km. Pretty good for a 2.4L engine.

• 1 month later...

i drive an avalon, basically a reskinned camry, and the v6 slurps around 9-13L/100.

So average is now sitting on 11.5L/100kms.

Not too bad considering im using 91 octane (the crap they sell at wollies and coles) :spiteful:

err

why am i the only one getting around 8-9L/100km? any1 here with the old non vvti engine getting those figures?

what i usually do is fill up till full, which is 70L (not sure if its 70L usable or 60L usable with 10L on red light) and reset the tripo. ive done this time and time again and i always achieve more than 750km with 40%highway and 60% suburb/city driving. been using vpower for 2mths.

ive achieved more than 1000kms with 80Litres whilst drivin up 2 lakes entrance. :blink:

You and me both.

I get around 750km to the 70L tank (rural driving) when I give it stick and blast the A/C, and around 1000km on smoother conservitive (dull) driving.

Either way great economy for a V6, I do however only ever fill up with Vortex 98 though so that probably helps the cause.

I get anything between 9-11L/100km in my 1999 Camry. Its a manual which probably explains the good economy.

I drive from Nunawading to Port Melbourne and back each weekday (about 70-80km per day) - the morning is all suburban/city driving whilst in the afternoon I usually use the freeway for about 15km of the trip to balance out the type of driving I do.

I filled up tonight after doing 587km on a tank - not bad considering I had been leaving a bit later each morning for work and hitting far heavier traffic. My car also ticked over to 148,000kms today - hopefully a bit more life left in her just yet.

• 3 months later...
err

could possibly be coz you're using vpower... i think it's 98 octane, so it's a bit more efficient. when i had my mitsu verada kr, it had done 420clicks. i was using 10%ethanol for a while, but then switched to 98octane (whether bp, caltex or vpower, whatever) after a friend told me it was more efficient. i never figured out which was actually cheaper, as i never did a L/100km test with the e10 fuel, but after switching i made around 10-11L/100kms, lots of highway driving, but 40-50km/h highway driving (stupid peak hr traffic :angry: ), and as well as that the car was much more responsive.

that's with a 3L v6 verada

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just did a trip/fuel calculation and realised that I get 13.42 litres per 100 km city driving for my 2004 Camry Sportivo 2.4. That's terrible isn't it or is this the norm for Camry?

What's your fuel consumption like?

mine is 2005 camry sportivo 2.4, I get around 13L per 100km for city driving as well...so we are pretty much the same :lol::lol: