The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Lately I've been blipping the throttle with double clutch down shifts, and the cai makes the usual intake noise that we're all accustom to. I'm doing this in peak hour traffic and was wondering whether this gives me the hoon image like in those rta advertisments.

Another thing is, that I'm finding it difficult to keep a straight face when hitting lift from 1st to 2nd. Does this happen to you to ? Can you keep a straight face as if nothing has happened - I think those rta ads are rubbing off on to me.

I need a new exhaust so whats a good subtle notey muffler for a 91 Paseo (5e-fe engine)... with a little crackle but wont make people laugh _too_ much

I would say grab a lukey. I'm going to be a complete b@stard here and admit that people would probably laugh at you already because you're driving a Paseo...

lol

Sorry j/k j/k, I couldn't resist.

I need a new exhaust so whats a good subtle notey muffler for a 91 Paseo (5e-fe engine)... with a little crackle but wont make people laugh _too_ much

I would say grab a lukey. I'm going to be a complete b@stard here and admit that people would probably laugh at you already because you're driving a Paseo...

lol

lol mate go easy on the poor fella :P

Guest dong-soo

if i put a MUGEN or SPOON SPORTS stickers on my rwd toyota ae86.. will i gain any front wheel kw ??

i am aiming for 160hp at the rear wheels and proberly 40hp at the front wheels... is this obtainable ??

if i put a MUGEN or SPOON SPORTS stickers on my rwd toyota ae86.. will i gain any front wheel kw ??

i am aiming for 160hp at the rear wheels and proberly 40hp at the front wheels... is this obtainable ??

I'm a huge Bento and Sushi nut. You'll gain more cornering prowess while drifting by putting me in the middle of the back, as I'll continually shout at you for spilling my Miso soup.

lol

Yeah lol it's all I can afford. I was thinking Lukey I've had one before on another *cough* car.

lol

Yeah lol it's all I can afford. I was thinking Lukey I've had one before on another *cough* car.

they're the best bang for buck dude. go nuts

Lately I've been blipping the throttle with double clutch down shifts, and the cai makes the usual intake noise that we're all accustom to. I'm doing this in peak hour traffic and was wondering whether this gives me the hoon image like in those rta advertisments.

Another thing is, that I'm finding it difficult to keep a straight face when hitting lift from 1st to 2nd. Does this happen to you to ? Can you keep a straight face as if nothing has happened - I think those rta ads are rubbing off on to me.

No idea depends on the person looking at you. If it was me you'd get a thumbs up. If it was one of the many people with an inaminate object of some kind up their **** theyd probably be shaking their fist saying something about kids these days. Best solution is to not give a fuk! :yahoo:

And no I can't keep a straight face when making a sweet 1st to 2nd shift :spiteful:

Edited by Seano

Ok I have another stupid yet serious question. Do rear spoilers actually improve fuel ecconomy? I read on Wikipedia that they ''spoil'' the turbulance coming down the rear of the car. Apparently the downward vacuum effect the rear window and boot etc causes a bit of drag, and sticking an ugly big heavy piece of plastic interrupts this swirl thus cutting out a fair bit of drag, thus giving better fuel ecconomy. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Maybe I will put the thing back on... thoughts?

Ok I have another stupid yet serious question. Do rear spoilers actually improve fuel ecconomy? I read on Wikipedia that they ''spoil'' the turbulance coming down the rear of the car. Apparently the downward vacuum effect the rear window and boot etc causes a bit of drag, and sticking an ugly big heavy piece of plastic interrupts this swirl thus cutting out a fair bit of drag, thus giving better fuel ecconomy. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Maybe I will put the thing back on... thoughts?

That is so not a stupid question. It really upsets me when people abuse this forum and write good questions in the stupid question section :P

I'd like to see an answer on this! Nice one Paseo91

I'm no aerodynamicist, but from my learnings in fluid dynamics the rear spoiler reduces the turbulance and down wash over the back window (drag). If they are designed properly and tested in a wind tunnel they can also shift the points of pressure around to actually reduce lift at the front of the vehicle. But I have only see some simple wind tunnel data for one of the something70 series Volvos.

If you want to improve the efficiency of the wing you can do what the planes do. You know how the wing tip sometimes kicks up at the end? Thats to stop the air spilling over the ends of the wing. So adding endplates may help with reducing drag, can't for sure say unless you have wind tunnel data. But if drag is reduced then you will get better fuel economy.

• 3 weeks later...
i saw on tv that a 3 inch round hail can hit the ground at 80 miles per hour would this be correct?

Hm, I'll let you work it out:

"Research has found that a hailstone's terminal velocity is roughly proportional to the square root of its diameter, with a diameter of 1 cm corresponding to a terminal velocity of 50 km/h (Munich Re, 1984)."

I know it makes a big dent in satellite dishes!

Is it safe enough to use the boot jack?

Blimy I thought you must come from here in Austria - then I read it again and saw you wrote "boot jack" not "jack boot".

Oh well, perhpas we won't meet up for a sausage and beer while yodelling a sweet refrain.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Take celicas or integras as examples. You see plenty of people remove the spoiler off the boot, and put in those little plugs so as to stop water pouring in.

I reckon thats a little half ****d...

What can be done so that the boot looks flat as factory again?

How much does this usually cost?

Cheers.

Hey all,

Take celicas or integras as examples. You see plenty of people remove the spoiler off the boot, and put in those little plugs so as to stop water pouring in.

I reckon thats a little half ****d...

What can be done so that the boot looks flat as factory again?

How much does this usually cost?

Cheers.

Welding the holes up, shaving them smooth, maybe a teeny bit of bog to get it ultra smooth and there you go. Requires having the whole boot resprayed though. It's expensive, which is why I think people don't do it.

Is it safe enough to use the boot jack?

Blimy I thought you must come from here in Austria - then I read it again and saw you wrote "boot jack" not "jack boot".

Oh well, perhpas we won't meet up for a sausage and beer while yodelling a sweet refrain.

Awwwwww

More technical stuff...

If a car, eg 1zz, is not capable of utilising the higher octane in petrol (eg 98 over 95)... would you still see benefits? (Eg, smoother running? Inreased efficiency?)

I ask, because I've only ever used 95 in my 1zz... i got a bad batch recently, and so I made a pilgrimage to a more reputable dealer and filled with 98 so as to flush the evil out of my car... It now runs smoother...

Haha :lol: ... but I don't know if its the 98, or just the placebo effect - seeing as the car had recently drunk poison.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We had our car stolen about 2 weeks ago and I’ve now officially lost all hope of finding it. This puts me in a spot to find a vehicle to get the family back on the road. I’ve got 3 kids under 6 so we’re very dependent on a car. The dilemma is an Avensis vs a 4WD!!!

We like the Avensis as it’s a 7 seater, good 2.4L engine and we can get a decent car with low kms within our budget (20K – 30K). On the other hand I like to get our kids out and about which is why I like the idea of a 4WD, but with the stupid cost of petrol I’m looking at the diesel version as I’ve been told this is much more economical that the petrol version. Is this true?

The ongoing running cost for an Avensis is approx $222.00 as per NRMA vehicles running cost. I couldn’t find the exact details for the Landcruiser Prado diesel version on the NRMA sight as there are no many models in these vehicles. Can someone please let me know what’s the exact model number of a Landcruiser Prado diesel version?

And off course, if there’s someone out there who has already done the math with this comparison please help me out by sharing the information.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ImLost

You'll probably find that to break even with the fuel economy savings of a diesel, it'll take about 10+ years. Simply look up the price increase that the diesel model has, and then compare the economy between the two and their economies. Do some simple math and it wont look good for the diesel. You will also need to look into the increase costs of servicing for diesels as it tends to be greater than that of a petrol engine.

As for the 4wd vs people carrier, you have to ask yourself, how often will I actually go off road on terrain that requires a 4wd? And will it be cheaper to just rent a 4wd when I need one. The renting option also stops you from needing to worry rust or keeping it good condition, hint hint.

OK so here goes with my stupid question ...

If you get rear park assist installed on a rav4 and also a towbar, does the towbar set off the rear sensors? :unsure:

You see i'm getting rear park assist installed tomorrow and i'd like to soon get a tow bar too...

Thanks very much

Jacki

If the tow bar sits behind the sensor then I can see it setting it off. But rarely do they put a central parking sensor in the rear bumper, they tend to sit eitherside of the center; rather nicely out of the way of any possible tow bar.

Now that you have it on, how is it?

If the tow bar sits behind the sensor then I can see it setting it off. But rarely do they put a central parking sensor in the rear bumper, they tend to sit eitherside of the center; rather nicely out of the way of any possible tow bar.

Now that you have it on, how is it?

hi dave. well the sensors are on, but not the tow bar. i see what you mean about the sensors are spaced along the rear bumper, perhaps the tow bar will just sneak in between the two centre ones!

the folk at southside toyota (here in brissy) told me that if the towbar sets off the sensors, you can switch the beeper off while you've got the tongue & tow ball attached, and then take them off when you don't need to tow. its a bit of a pain as i like to leave the tongue& towball on to help protect the back end from people parking by feel in car parks etc.

i'll let you know how it goes when i've got the towbar fitted. i may need to rob a bank to get it fitted. best dealer quote i've had to get one fitted is $780, worst price almost $1200.

• 2 weeks later...

uh well i may as well ask my noob question here xD

as ive mentioned before i own a 2001 Corolla Ascent Seca being my first car and all (they cost a pretty penny too :/ )

now the problem is im finding it difficult to find much information on this car and even when ive taken it in for it's services the mechanics at the Toyota dealership are equally confused by this "hatchback/lift back" model ><

are they just fobbing me off as im just another P Plater?

also since im not driving a big petrol guzzling v6 like my fellow P platers and actually saving some money (i <3 toyota) on petrol what are some suggestions for legal mods for a Green Victorian P Plater besides my audio setup allready?