Turning off TRC (Traction Control)

MASH

Hi All, I just got my new ZR6 today after waiting for 3 weeks. After I signed all the papers and was given the key, I asked the sales rep if there was a way to turn off traction control he was a bit hesitant but after a few seconds of talk he said in order to turn off the traction control you need to have all doors closed, with the car in drive. With the foot break still pressed, tap the break 2 times, then hold break, push foot break on and off 2 times, then press the break 2 times, after he did this a light popped up on the dash display of a car with swirly lines behind it, similar to the one you see on those yellow wet road signs. But he said it turns off every time you turn the car off and you need to do the sequence again. I thought some of you would like to know...sorry if some of you already did. And also I am not responsible for anything that is caused to you or your car by doing turning off the TRC. Have fun.

post-6515-1202446498_thumb.jpg

Hi All, I just got my new ZR6 today after waiting for 3 weeks. After I signed all the papers and was given the key, I asked the sales rep if there was a way to turn off traction control he was a bit hesitant but after a few seconds of talk he said in order to turn off the traction control you need to have all doors closed, with the car in drive. With the foot break still pressed, tap the break 2 times, then hold break, push foot break on and off 2 times, then press the break 2 times, after he did this a light popped up on the dash display of a car with swirly lines behind it, similar to the one you see on those yellow wet road signs. But he said it turns off every time you turn the car off and you need to do the sequence again. I thought some of you would like to know...sorry if some of you already did. And also I am not responsible for anything that is caused to you or your car by doing turning off the TRC. Have fun.

Hello Mash,

I seen another more involved procedure else where on this forum,

Regarding your procedure, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what to do,

1. Brake is spelt incorrectly. ( no big problem )

2. I'm not sure if your refering to the Foot operated "Park Brake" or the main "Brake Pedal" which is also foot operated.

Please rewrite and specify EXACTLY the procedure.

Thanks in advance Derek

Hello Mash,

2. I'm not sure if your refering to the Foot operated "Park Brake" or the main "Brake Pedal" which is also foot operated.

Thanks in advance Derek

Hi Derek,

Cool, maybe you can share the procedure. Anyways, sorry about the spelling mistake, meant to be 'brake'. Ok when I say brake, I mean the normal brake pedal. Foot brake = hand brake. So - Put in drive with foot brake (handbrake) locked - press brake 2 times (normal brake) then foot brake 2 times (must see the handbrake light turn on and off 2 times), then normal brake again 2 times. It will take some practise. It takes me maybe 2 or 3 goes sometimes.. thats why I don't play around with it too much, once you get it, on the right corner you will see the icon light up. Let me know how you go.

Edited by MASH

Hello Mash,

Thanks in advance Derek

Hi Derek,

Cool, maybe you can share the procedure. Anyways, sorry about the spelling mistake, meant to be 'brake'. Ok when I say brake, I mean the normal brake pedal. Foot brake = hand brake. So - Put in drive with foot brake (handbrake) locked - press brake 2 times (normal brake) then foot brake 2 times (must see the handbrake light turn on and off 2 times), then normal brake again 2 times. It will take some practise. It takes me maybe 2 or 3 goes sometimes.. thats why I don't play around with it too much, once you get it, on the right corner you will see the icon light up. Let me know how you go.

I'll Try yours later.

I have not been able to get this procedure below to work as far ( No light comes on at least) May you can get it working!

Member DKzr6 Posted this in June 2007 see Topic heading "Aurion ASC: Has anyone worked out how to turn it off?"

Hey,

THe method below works. But you need to do each time you start the car if you want the TC off. By default it turns back on each time you start the car.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

3. Engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

6. Disengage the parking brake.

7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

10. Release the brake pedal.

11. Engage the parking brake.

12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

Its a bit convoluted, but i tried it and i works.

Good Luck. I let you how I go later.

Derek

If Powerful FWD <> Traction Control, then FWD need LSD

If Powerful FWD <>Traction Control and <> LSD, then Bad Ju Ju, especially when wet...

Hello Mash,

Thanks in advance Derek

Hi Derek,

I'll Try yours later.

I have not been able to get this procedure below to work as far ( No light comes on at least) May you can get it working!

Member DKzr6 Posted this in June 2007 see Topic heading "Aurion ASC: Has anyone worked out how to turn it off?"

Hey,

THe method below works. But you need to do each time you start the car if you want the TC off. By default it turns back on each time you start the car.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

Its a bit convoluted, but i tried it and i works.

Good Luck. I let you how I go later.

Derek

Edited by e240

Hello MASH,

Ive now been able to turn off the TRC via the procedure I detailed above, ( With car in Park )

But I was unable to turn it off via your procedure while in drive, I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe the foot brake needs to be held on when doing the two park brake operations , If so, that wasnt in your description.

Derek.

Hello MASH,

Ive now been able to turn off the TRC via the procedure I detailed above, ( With car in Park )

But I was unable to turn it off via your procedure while in drive, I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe the foot brake needs to be held on when doing the two park brake operations , If so, that wasnt in your description.

Derek.

DerekD: Im glad you got it to work.. I was having abit of trouble, but I finally got it to work using your instructions...

Mine were 'meant' to be the same.. your instructions were explained in more detail :-) so I guess I will stick with that more involved procedure seeing it works for sure. I wonder why the sales rep told me to do it in drive? most likely thats what i was doing wrong... :-S

Just out of curiosity, which model Aurion do you have? And also, when you first drove it could you hear like a ticking sounds coming from the dash or under the steering wheel? Not sure if this is normal.... when the car is in N and I rev it it does not make this sound.. Any one had same issue? It hasn't even done 100 K's.

$hit dude, you lost me, hehehehe!!

Sorry - I was too lazy.

A powerful FWD should really have an LSD - All front wheel drives should really have an LSD.

Toyota has put Traction Control in place of one and probably for more reasons, I personally feel that its a bad idea to switch it off especially that most of us are just mediocre drivers.

Actually, I don't see the point of switching off Traction control anyway...unless you intend to fang it around the track.

Having said that...I will be trying it out.. :yahoo:

On another note - Picked up my SX6 yesterday, its a very nice car...washed and waxed it last night...its a freaking big car...

Edited by e240

This is perfectly correct.

With traction control switched off it becomes very obvoius that you need an LSD and without an LSD it's probably slower round the track with the tractiojn control switched off.

On a wet day I tried the right hand up hill turn out of my street with it on and off and with it off I practically rolled backwards down the hill.

[A powerful FWD should really have an LSD - All front wheel drives should really have an LSD.

Toyota has put Traction Control in place of one and probably for more reasons, I personally feel that its a bad idea to switch it off especially that most of us are just mediocre drivers.

Actually, I don't see the point of switching off Traction control anyway...unless you intend to fang it around the track.

Having said that...I will be trying it out.. :yahoo: ]

When retrieving a boat at coastal boat ramps regularly find that the tide has gone out at the end of the day and left 100mm or more of sand on the ramp.

Recommended way to get 1.3 tonnes of boat plus car moving is spin the driven wheels on the car until they dig through the sand and meet the concrete when they will get traction and drive out.

If you cannot switch off traction control engine power is cut as soon as wheels start spinning and you will be stuck.

Other instances such as starting off in mud, very soft gravel or snow also can also require switchable T/C in my experience.

Ridiculous to have to go through a 13 step process to switch off T/C when most manufacufacturers employ a button on the dash to disengage.

Cheers

Hello MASH,

Derek.

Derek, could you please update or modify the steps below since you got it work because if I follow the steps below it doesn't work.

Thanks

2. Start the engine.

Hello MASH,

Derek.

Derek, could you please update or modify the steps below since you got it work because if I follow the steps below it doesn't work.

Thanks

2. Start the engine.

Ma che cazzo?

Hello MASH,

Derek.

Thanks

2. Start the engine.

Ma che cazzo?

ahahaha all that to turn off traction control im glad my little corolla doesnt have it (in a way)

When retrieving a boat at coastal boat ramps regularly find that the tide has gone out at the end of the day and left 100mm or more of sand on the ramp.

Recommended way to get 1.3 tonnes of boat plus car moving is spin the driven wheels on the car until they dig through the sand and meet the concrete when they will get traction and drive out.

If you cannot switch off traction control engine power is cut as soon as wheels start spinning and you will be stuck.

Other instances such as starting off in mud, very soft gravel or snow also can also require switchable T/C in my experience.

Ridiculous to have to go through a 13 step process to switch off T/C when most manufacufacturers employ a button on the dash to disengage.

Cheers

Mike, thanks for that info, pretty sure it will come handy when one is faced with those situations... I seriously find it so annoying that we have to go through these ridiculous steps just to turn it off. ITS MY CAR, that I bloody paid for, I should have a damn button somewhere I can press to turn of TRC! Its these things that really p*ss me off to the sh*t house when it comes to Toyota. Some very simple options are not added on... why not go that extra step and make the car even more enjoyable & better?? I don't care too much for now as I don't race, and I don't fang it around the track and I don't have a boat or caravan. But I mean still, that option should really be added... and something tells me that there MUST be an easier way to turn it off? Anyone reckon?

I think it's a safety precaution that Toyota made a long procedure (and didn't just make a button to toggle the TRC).

You don't see any of the cars having a button like that, except for the "sports" cars.

I think it's a safety precaution that Toyota made a long procedure (and didn't just make a button to toggle the TRC).

You don't see any of the cars having a button like that, except for the "sports" cars.

Agree, stops all the careless hoons if they decide to try to fang it in the wet.

Agree, stops all the careless hoons if they decide to try to fang it in the wet.

I agree it stops the hoons, but what about the mature responsible drivers? No offense, but you got to be a stupid moron to turn off TRC and fang it in the rain, unless you actually are a race driver, or a very experienced one. Plus you can still be a careless hoon without TRC off aswell. Seen too many of them around my area :-S

Well if you are a mature driver, youd know TCS is a good thing and wouldnt want to turn it off in the first place, but as in some circumstances where your stuck in the mud etc, you'll need it off, but really if your planning to go to places where this sort of situation can come about, you should know or carry with you intructions to turn it off.

But synonymous with hoons are burnouts doughy's etc, so if you cut that thats agood 80% less dangerous showoff moments already.

Hello MASH,

Derek.

Thanks

2. Start the engine.

Mash,

This is strange, The instuctions above are correct as far as I know, ( It did work last weekend for me )

But now I'm having trouble getting it to work, I suspect it's a timing issue. ( or I'm not holding my mouth in the correct position )

I'll see if I can work it out and let you know.

Derek.

Hmm...Wonder what happens if you've had an accident and the data downloaded showed you switched off traction control.

Will you still be covered? or even a warranty claim?

Well I think it would depend...because by default they do not tell you for safety reasons and also so you cant turn around and blame them if anything does happen. Thats why the sales rep didn't want to show me, he went to great lengths to advise he doesn't want the company to know, if it got serious he could lose his job, but luckily I know him enough, and I wouldn't blame him.. IF they do show you, be rest assured they will warn you that it will not be covered under warranty and any damage caused to your vehicle by turning off TRC is your own responsibility.