LC200 Economy

Dave K

V8TD brochure says 10.3L, even on economy mode (light footed) can only get 15L, this is 50% more than Toyota say, what is everyone else getting. Sorry we only get the diesel in NZ but feel free to tell us about the petrol models. Toyota would'nt lie to us would they? Have only done 1100km but first tank only got 860kms from 138L diesel tank, was expecting 1200-1400kms. 10.3L with 650nm and 2.7 tonnes does seem optimistic, like the perpetual motion machine.

It does take a diesel engine about 5000km to 10000km to loosen up. (Even my 100 series V8 Petrol took about 10000km to loosen up).

I can remember, (with the 100 series V8 petrol) that my first tank (main and sub) only got me about 600km (out of about 140 litres) before both fuel lights came on. When I sold it, I could get between 850 to 900km out of a tank of fuel (main + sub).

I wouldnt worry just yet.

Edited by ConeHead

V8TD brochure says 10.3L, even on economy mode (light footed) can only get 15L, this is 50% more than Toyota say, what is everyone else getting. Sorry we only get the diesel in NZ but feel free to tell us about the petrol models. Toyota would'nt lie to us would they? Have only done 1100km but first tank only got 860kms from 138L diesel tank, was expecting 1200-1400kms. 10.3L with 650nm and 2.7 tonnes does seem optimistic, like the perpetual motion machine.

Dave K - Have a look at the other subject where the thread is all about the 6 speed gear box. Conehead has just tested today and the thread will give you the feel. Once the engine loosens up we think that you will get closer to the sales pitch - However, my view is that the 200 is so far ahead I will give up 1 to 3/100. Of course if it doesn't come close we must let Toyota know within the warranty period.

That being said only 860kms from 138 litre is not acceptable - except if it was mostly in Cities then 18/100 can be expected and that would relate about 750kms from the tank. The model I am getting only had 92litres and I had better get around 700 kms out of it on the Highway.

Hey Guys.

I must say Im happy.

My L.C. 200 TTD now has a whopping 760km on the clock. I have just filled the tank up for the second time.

On this tank of fuel, I travelled about 560km. Out of this, I did about 250 on the highway and about 310ish around town.

I wasnt driving like "Miss Daisy" but on the other hand, I wasnt flogging the crap out of it either.

I averaged 12litres / 100km. In effect, going on this, I could 1150 to 1200 kilometres out of the tank.

Not bad in my books.

Cheers

Hey Guys.

I must say Im happy.

My L.C. 200 TTD now has a whopping 760km on the clock. I have just filled the tank up for the second time.

On this tank of fuel, I travelled about 560km. Out of this, I did about 250 on the highway and about 310ish around town.

I wasnt driving like "Miss Daisy" but on the other hand, I wasnt flogging the crap out of it either.

I averaged 12litres / 100km. In effect, going on this, I could 1150 to 1200 kilometres out of the tank.

Not bad in my books.

Cheers

The more we go on the better I am feeling. By the time I get my 200 in early March, you guys will have it all sorted for me.

Keep it rolling

• 1 month later...

I have done 11500 klms in my 200 T/D GXL now mainly towing a caravan. I am getting 20l / 100 klms towing and 12l / 100 klms without van. I am sure the above figures could be improved if the right foot was lifted abit but the motor and auto transmission tend to encourage " performance ". It has no problem pulling 2.5 tons at highway speeds ; you have to actually watch the speedo to make sure the speed does not get away.

I am glad the GXL Turbo is the only model that does not have the KDSS suspension as standard as this model is the only one to get the 138 litre fuel tank. A 90 litre fuel tank for pulling caravans in Australia is ridiculous. Imagine a petrol version with a 90 litre tank ; probably about 250klm range. The T/D with KDSS has about 400 klm before light comes on ; I get about 600 klm before light comes on ( takes about 120 litres so about 15+ left )

Regards Tony

Edited by killtrassy

• 1 month later...
I have done 11500 klms in my 200 T/D GXL now mainly towing a caravan. I am getting 20l / 100 klms towing and 12l / 100 klms without van. I am sure the above figures could be improved if the right foot was lifted abit but the motor and auto transmission tend to encourage " performance ". It has no problem pulling 2.5 tons at highway speeds ; you have to actually watch the speedo to make sure the speed does not get away.

I am glad the GXL Turbo is the only model that does not have the KDSS suspension as standard as this model is the only one to get the 138 litre fuel tank. A 90 litre fuel tank for pulling caravans in Australia is ridiculous. Imagine a petrol version with a 90 litre tank ; probably about 250klm range. The T/D with KDSS has about 400 klm before light comes on ; I get about 600 klm before light comes on ( takes about 120 litres so about 15+ left )

Regards Tony

I'm now on my third tank of fuel. On the second tank, which was mainly used for around town stop start and one weekend pulling the camper trailer, I got 15.8l/100k. Only a fraction was freeway speed. This isn't bad and will improve. I must admit to dragging off a few other 4WDs at the lights while pulling the camper trailer. The 200 TD is a great engine.

Steve

after owning 2 100 series t/d I decided to buy a v8 petrol vx landcruiser I am on my 3rd tank of fuel and am averaging 16/100 I couldn't be happier it is so much quieter on the highway the compuer often show low 14s my last t/d averaged 12/100

• 4 months later...

Average fuel consumption figures for 7000 kms is 14.3 liters / 100km (vehicle has done 39,000 kms)

All driving at speed limits on open road and City Highway / Freeway, and most on Cruise control with A/C.

Yep, 6th gear is useless under 115-120 km/h.

I have discussed with Toyota, but they say it is within spec.

A bit sad really as the the vehicle will just about idle down the road in 5th but won't shift into 6th when cruising at 110 km/h.

The vehicle is basically superb with a ton of grunt, but there are a few things they could have done better.

1. 6th speed not configured for Australian road speeds

2. Too much turbo lag from stand still - got to do with emission settings

3. Don't like the "Bat Car" push start button

4. little knobs on the radio and no steering wheel radio buttons

Other than these, it is the best mannered 4WD I driven on the gravel, and tows like a train.

TCO

Been watching this thread for a while.

Here are my experences with LC 200 economy

I am not a grey nomad (20years to go) and enjoy the accelaration and shear power of the LC.

Live in WA and have done two trips to Vic in the past couple of months towing a full height 20ft 2500kg van.

First trip had 8000km on the clock when started, averaged 22l/100, A/C on 100km/hr on the open road.

Second trip 18000km on the clock when started, averaged 17,5l/100, again A/C on and 100km/hr on the open road.

In the 200's first 10000km it was thirsty around town and on the open road 14,5l/100 - not towing.

I fitted a DP Chip (Aussie one) at about 14000km, claimed power increase to 235, torque to 785 and 10% fuel saving. Hard one to notice improvements at the time LC is pretty powerful without it. Did notice the power/torque increase when overtaking huge roadtrains on the Nullabor.

Now the 200 has 25000km on the clock A/C on all the time, around town it is getting 10,5l/100 consistantly

6th gear will now drop in at ~100km/hr on cruise with no load, stays in 5th with van attached.

For what it is worth, I did a defensive driving course with my son a few months ago. The instructor told me to take it easy in the LC and the are heavy and tend to roll around alot. Of course I was not going to take his advise and proceeded to partake at the same speed as the other particpants. At he end of the session the LC was outbraking and out manouvering a Ford XR4 amongst other lighter nimble vehicles. The instuctor had not seen a LC 200 Sahara doing it's thing until then. The suspension and braking are awesome.

:yahoo: A very happy LC owner

Cheers Chris

I have a GXL and get 700km before the fuel light comes on. Country driving, no air con & its done 20,000k's. It's a great car but build quality is average. 6th gear is useless under 120km/h

Do you have the Petrol or Twin Turbo Diesel.

I now have 22000km on the odo. I use a program called 'CARTRAK' you log all expences for the car. (its leased and the program ensure the lease company cant rip you off). It also calculates fuel usage and economy.

Around town, I average about 11.5 litres per hundred. On the freeway (Canberra to Sydney), at a constant 120kph I have got as low as 9.5 litres per hundred. (with myself, wife and 3 kids).

The most I got out of a tank was 1231KM. This was from Canberra to Brisbane (Capalabar) , up the Pacific Highway. I filled up at Capalabar (light was on) and put in 124 litres. The fuel economy was worked out at 10.04 litres per hundred kilometres. I have to say that I was impressed for such a big car. I always have the climate control on as well.

With the 6th gear issue, mine slips into 6th gear (after the 10000km service) without an issue at anywhere from 95 kph onwards.

I have to admit, I love the power, and because of this power, its made towing my boat (24foot fibregalss Freedom Elite) an absolute joy.

I am more than happy with the LC 200.

Edited by ConeHead

• 4 weeks later...

:unsure:

I have a GXL and get 700km before the fuel light comes on. Country driving, no air con & its done 20,000k's. It's a great car but build quality is average. 6th gear is useless under 120km/h

I now have 22000km on the odo. I use a program called 'CARTRAK' you log all expences for the car. (its leased and the program ensure the lease company cant rip you off). It also calculates fuel usage and economy.

Around town, I average about 11.5 litres per hundred. On the freeway (Canberra to Sydney), at a constant 120kph I have got as low as 9.5 litres per hundred. (with myself, wife and 3 kids).

The most I got out of a tank was 1231KM. This was from Canberra to Brisbane (Capalabar) , up the Pacific Highway. I filled up at Capalabar (light was on) and put in 124 litres. The fuel economy was worked out at 10.04 litres per hundred kilometres. I have to say that I was impressed for such a big car. I always have the climate control on as well.

With the 6th gear issue, mine slips into 6th gear (after the 10000km service) without an issue at anywhere from 95 kph onwards.

I have to admit, I love the power, and because of this power, its made towing my boat (24foot fibregalss Freedom Elite) an absolute joy.

:unsure:

• 1 month later...

My L200 GXL Diesel has now done over 15,000ks. Over Christmas I drove to Sydney and back from Melbourne. Driving with four people and a reasonable amount of luggage on the Hume Highway and at the speed limit, I covered 1900 kilometres and used 214 litres of fuel. I make that just over 11 litres per 100kms. I was driving reasonably hard and doing a fair bit of overtaking, so 10.3 litres/100ks is within the realms of possibility. By the way, I love the 6th gear just as it is. It drops in just over 100ks at which point the engine is doing an easy 1500 rpm, perfect for highway work where the limit is 110. It was also great on a recent trip to NT where the limit was 130ks.

Something which I think also helps economy on the highway is cruise control, which I used a lot on the above trip. Throttle changes are a lot smoother and less frequent than 'manual' use of the throttle and this translates into less fuel use.

Now for the next trip: taking the camper trailer across to Tasmania for 8 days.

Steve

Edited by stephano

• 2 months later...

My LC200 with only 2800km will get 10l/100km under normal highway conditions. On a recent trip from melbourne to Sydney I got these figures. I was diligent in making sure I was in 6th wherever possible. See thread on 6th gear sucess how I can get 6th at normal road legal speeds.

I aslo used the cruse control as much as possible.

White LC2

• 1 month later...

Average fuel consumption figures for 7000 kms is 14.3 liters / 100km (vehicle has done 39,000 kms)

All driving at speed limits on open road and City Highway / Freeway, and most on Cruise control with A/C.

Yep, 6th gear is useless under 115-120 km/h.

I have discussed with Toyota, but they say it is within spec.

A bit sad really as the the vehicle will just about idle down the road in 5th but won't shift into 6th when cruising at 110 km/h.

The vehicle is basically superb with a ton of grunt, but there are a few things they could have done better.

1. 6th speed not configured for Australian road speeds

2. Too much turbo lag from stand still - got to do with emission settings

3. Don't like the "Bat Car" push start button

4. little knobs on the radio and no steering wheel radio buttons

Other than these, it is the best mannered 4WD I driven on the gravel, and tows like a train.

TCO

[/quote 1. I agree 6th gear needs configuring my agent tells me Yoyota is working on modifications to the computer has anyone heard this? needs fixing

2. The lag from standstill can be quite alarming aspecialy if you plant your foot when nothing happens and then suddenly takes off at agreat rate needs fixing

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

• 6 months later...

my VX V8TD has same problem, but a bit better at 13.8L to 14.5L (A/C off).

my testing:

120km after fuel alarm, in-city driving.