Busted Rare rotor button

3T-GTE Noob

Hi all - I will firstly admit that I am a noob, but being a rather inquisitive noob, I have looked in many places for information on where I could get a replacement rotor button for a 3T-GTE Distributor. I've hit a whole heap of brick walls, many of them telling me I was dreaming and that I will almost never find a replacement, so I am now looking into solutions for either repairing the existing one, or going as far as replacing the entire ignition system with an electronic alternative. I have no idea what that would entail, nor the costs involved, but the electronic replacement option has been put forward by an auto electrician friend of mine.

I apologise in advance if there is a duplicate topic, but I have done a search for similar topics and it came up dry, so if there is a topic that will answer my questions, please point me in it's direction. Otherwise, if anyone has any information relating to either repairing the existing RB or solutions that any of you have come up with in an effort to bypass the necessity of a rotor button/distributor on a 3T-GTE twin spark engine, I would really appreciate it :)

P.S. on an unrelated note, are there any readily available products which will loosen up components fused together by rust?

Edited by 3T-GTE Noob

Hi all - I will firstly admit that I am a noob, but being a rather inquisitive noob, I have looked in many places for information on where I could get a replacement rotor button for a 3T-GTE Distributor. I've hit a whole heap of brick walls, many of them telling me I was dreaming and that I will almost never find a replacement, so I am now looking into solutions for either repairing the existing one, or going as far as replacing the entire ignition system with an electronic alternative. I have no idea what that would entail, nor the costs involved, but the electronic replacement option has been put forward by an auto electrician friend of mine.

I apologise in advance if there is a duplicate topic, but I have done a search for similar topics and it came up dry, so if there is a topic that will answer my questions, please point me in it's direction. Otherwise, if anyone has any information relating to either repairing the existing RB or solutions that any of you have come up with in an effort to bypass the necessity of a rotor button/distributor on a 3T-GTE twin spark engine, I would really appreciate it :)

P.S. on an unrelated note, are there any readily available products which will loosen up components fused together by rust?

Can't get a part number for a rotor button, or a whole replacement distributor cap & rotor? All the 3T-GTEs you see on the road here are imported, so it's not likely that parts would be readily available on the shelf. As they are quite unique items (being twin-spark), my best bet would be asking Toyota for the parts, the part numbers are:

distributor cap - 19101-88280

distributor rotor - 19104-88280

Yeah, I have noticed that they are relatively rare in australia given their import status. In an effort to get a new rotor, i contacted several different places around australia, and found one place in adelaide which had one, but they would only sell it to me with the rest of the distributor and cables, so I purchased it. Upon receieving it though, I was saddened to find that the rotor was damaged in this one as well due to the fastening bolt rusting and expanding, thus cracking the rotor around the base. Thats the reason I wanted to find a product to dissolve the rust :( I've been advised on another forum to try using RP7 on it and tapping it with a screwdriver, but putting a flammable chemical in an enclosed chamber with sparks makes me slightly unsure about that option.

Thanks for the part numbers - I'll give Toyota a call and inquire about a replacement and see where I can go from there. I've called them in the past, but not knowing the part numbers made things rather difficult.

Eventually I'm still going to see about replacing the ignition system anyway as i've been advised an electronic system would make things more efficient and easy to tune, which would be great, but if i can get my hands on a replacement i'll use it until I have a a better Idea of what to replace the current system with.

Thanks for your help Hiro ^_^ It's much appreciated :D