The 2ZR-FE Mods!!!

I found this company that has been posting about the new XD mods that they have developed... the following is bits and pieces from the thread.

"We have a dyno comparison between our stock 1.8L Dual VVTi motor (Scion Xd) and the same motor equipped with a new intake manifold, dedicated air intake, 2.5-inch cat back and (no cat) off-road pipe. The power output of the 1.8L jumped from 119 wheel hp (Dynojet) to 145 hp, the majority of which came from the new aluminum intake manifold"

"The power gains depicted in the graph are for the intake manifold, CAI and exhaust mods, though the intake manifold alone on the VVTi motor increased the power output from 119 hp to 136 hp. We logged air/fuel on all runs and actually changes to MAF orientation was more critical than changes to the intake manifold. That MAF is very sensitive to changes in orientation. If positioned properly, the new intake manifold will not alter stock air/fuel curve. No piggy back tuning was needed."

When I read it, I thought that it was great because similar changes to the new Corolla would also mean a good healthy change to the power/torque of the car. However these are two different cars and the Corolla is world wide and could of had a better design with the factory air box or exhaust compared to the XD?

Can we compare the XD to the Corolla? Will similar mods to the Corolla also have the same effect due to the XD and Corolla having the same engine?

Edited by 2ZR - FE

Personally I am very interested in the full potential the Dual VVTi can make to the 2zr. I believe with even a little bit of tweak here and there on the timing of the variable valve alone (keeping the emission standards in mind) it can better the 100kw that the engine is currently putting out.

I'm looking all over the internet as well to see whether there are any mods available to date, but when I was in Hong Kong a month ago and asked a few shops they said parts were still not available as it is still quite a relatively new model.

I'm happy to wait it out as long as the improvements the mods give are of significance.

Regards,

Jase

i'd be interested to see someone with a 2ZR start putting some serious modifications into it :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I wanted to bring this thread back to life.

I drive a 2008 Yaris TS 1.8L 2ZR-FE powered.

I have suffer as many the lack of aftermaket support for our engine.

I have contacted the designer of the intake manifold and he is up for making a 10 units production run. This mod is like the best bang for the buck...

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, please see more information here:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic....&highlight=

We are looking for at least 10 people to get this going. Please post a response on the link above if interested.

The price for the manifold is expected at US$699.

ooh nice a yaris T-sport, i've only seen one in australia and that was in the Company Fleet garage at CHQ.

Is your engine bay crowded?

Not really. The 2ZR-FE is just a tad larger than the standard 1.5l 1NZ-FE.

Is there any interest here on this Intake Manifold? International shipping will be offered by the people coordinating the production run.

This manifold will probably be arount $700 US dollars. This is like the best bang for the buck on bolt on performance parts and it should fit the new Corolla/Auris equipped with the 2ZR-FE Engine.

Just want to make sure I have no relation with the folks producing this manifold.

I'm just really interestedin making this happen...

We need at least 10 people willing to buy to make this happen...

For more info or to post your interest please go to:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240773

post-10707-1224869049_thumb.jpg

No offense mate, but $AU1000 or there abouts is a bit steep if you ask me. For the 10-15whp gain I'd rather get a proper CAI developed.

Plus it's all the way in America, so if something goes wrong I'm screwed. Fitment problems would also be an issue + unknown product reputation.

I'd say no to this.

No offense mate, but $AU1000 or there abouts is a bit steep if you ask me. For the 10-15whp gain I'd rather get a proper CAI developed.

Plus it's all the way in America, so if something goes wrong I'm screwed. Fitment problems would also be an issue + unknown product reputation.

I'd say no to this.

I understand you position, this is not cheap. But Like they say.. you gotta pay to play.

But I actually think this is the best bang for the buck. I mean the manifold alone made 13 wheel HP and when matched to a CAI and a fre flow exhaust it made 26 wheel hp.

What other bolt on part will produce that? The couple of CAI's available for this engine on the us Scion and Corolla make hardly 5hp and cost more that $300. See the K & N for example.

This manifold mostlikely will become a very rear piece. We are struggling to have 10 pcs made. This is kind of a special order.

Regarding the fitmet.. it will only be a matter of cross checking the toyota part number of the OE manifold on your car against one of the manifolds from the US cars.

I have already confirmed that the part number is the same for the US 2009 corolla/matrix, the scion xd and the Yaris TS.

As for te quality of the part i will share a picture of another manifold created by the same person for the Nissan Versa/Tida

enjoy:

post-10707-1225089451_thumb.jpg

should probably keep the US dyno figures in mind too... Always a bit optomistic in comparison to Dyno Dynamics figures in Aus etc...

I know a couple of local fabricators here that could make a nice alloy intake manifold for considerably less than $1K AUD.

should probably keep the US dyno figures in mind too... Always a bit optomistic in comparison to Dyno Dynamics figures in Aus etc...

I know a couple of local fabricators here that could make a nice alloy intake manifold for considerably less than $1K AUD.

Yeap, fabrication wise many shops could do an intake for less money.

But get the intake to make power.... that's a hole different story! And this is why we are so exited about this unit.

There is a lot of theory behind air wave resonance tunning (Search for Holmoltz resonance). This is not about increasing air flow, that's easy. Get the right resonance requires exact measurement in order to match the gains to the powerband and put them were they are useful.

You can increase flow in such a manner that the engine will have a power boost from 7,000 to 8,500rpm. What is the use of that if the engine will not see more than 6,500rmp?

I'm not trying to be an ***** here... I'm just pointing that is not as simple as manufacturing a piece of alloy. heck other wise I already would have made one!

Then again, I agree with you. This is not a cheap mod. And I perfectly understand that it will not apeal to mamy people.

Must of the people who buy a new car like this one are after the fuel economy more than performance....

There are just a few crazy folks like myself that are willing to go further....

• 1 month later...

Why would you want to pay anything for a cold air intake. If you have a look at the intake, there's a lot of scope to redirect it down to the lower grill opening from behind the headlights. If you take out the under fender cover so you can follow the pipe down behind the fog lights (which then goes back up to behind the headlights), all you do is take out the bolts holding the pipes and redirect it in front of the radiator and right at the opening of the lower grill. So far, I can't say there's more power, but fuel economy certainly dropped fractionally according to the car average fuel consumption. Cost $0 + 1 hour.

Why would you want to pay anything for a cold air intake. If you have a look at the intake, there's a lot of scope to redirect it down to the lower grill opening from behind the headlights. If you take out the under fender cover so you can follow the pipe down behind the fog lights (which then goes back up to behind the headlights), all you do is take out the bolts holding the pipes and redirect it in front of the radiator and right at the opening of the lower grill. So far, I can't say there's more power, but fuel economy certainly dropped fractionally according to the car average fuel consumption. Cost $0 + 1 hour.

Not following you... :unsure:

My previous posts were about an Intake Manifold, not a CAI... And the last post was about an under drive lightweight crank pulley.

Bump for the NST underdrive crank pulley!!!

I'm surprised there is no interest at all... <_<

i was interested.

but a few major problems.

1. no money XD

2. where does ti go

3.what does it do

4.void warranty?

Look the following links for answer to your questions:

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic....mp;&start=0

The group buy price will be $99. Shipping to Aus should be around $20-$25

Void warranty. It should not void it. When you install ad aftermarket part to any car that part will void the warranty partially and only if the problem of the car can be traced back to that specific part. Meaning that the dealer ca not blame a brakes failure on your aftermarket Cold air Intake. So if a problem can be traced back to the pulley it could void the warranty.

That been said... thousands of people have installed NST pulleys in their cars with NO single problem ever been reported.

There are hundreds of reviews... 100% positive

Where does it go? In place of the OE crank pulley/damper

What does it do? It will released a few HP (3-5whp) will improve fuel economy a little and will improve the throttle response of the car.

It acts by the same principle a lightweight flywheel does. By reducing rotational mass.

We need 5 more people interested to meet the requested group buy quantity.