New Kluger Tyres

Mikeyboy

Because of a previous topic concerning tyres, I had a look at the specs on the tyres fitted to KX-S and Grande. I found that these tyres are rated to only 180kmh. Is that why Toyota claims a top speed of 180kmh or do they also electronically limit the speed to 180kmh?

It would be interesting to find out what speed is actually possible, as long as it can be done safely. I don't know if legally is possible.

When I eventually need to change my tyres, we only average 10000km per year in each car, I will probably fit the Yokohama ADVAN ST V802 in size 255/55R19. They have a slightly larger OD but this should fix the optimistic speedo. They also are rated to 300kmh, not that that would ever be possible.

I have fitted Yokohama tyres to all my previous cars for the past 23 years and have found them to be the best value for money as far as grip/wear are concerned.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikeboy,

I've noticed that when Kluger's speedo shows 65km/h it is actually 60: is that what you have called an "optimistic speedo", and if I read you correctly different tyres could fix that? What's OD?

I can't speak high enough of Yokohama tyres - they will be next on my Kluger.

Thanks

Because of a previous topic concerning tyres, I had a look at the specs on the tyres fitted to KX-S and Grande. I found that these tyres are rated to only 180kmh. Is that why Toyota claims a top speed of 180kmh or do they also electronically limit the speed to 180kmh?

It would be interesting to find out what speed is actually possible, as long as it can be done safely. I don't know if legally is possible.

When I eventually need to change my tyres, we only average 10000km per year in each car, I will probably fit the Yokohama ADVAN ST V802 in size 255/55R19. They have a slightly larger OD but this should fix the optimistic speedo. They also are rated to 300kmh, not that that would ever be possible.

I have fitted Yokohama tyres to all my previous cars for the past 23 years and have found them to be the best value for money as far as grip/wear are concerned.

Mikeboy,

I've noticed that when Kluger's speedo shows 65km/h it is actually 60: is that what you have called an "optimistic speedo", and if I read you correctly different tyres could fix that? What's OD?

OD = outer diameter?

Mikeboy,

OD = outer diameter?

The 245/55R19 have on OD of 756 . 255/55R19 are 763. Slightly larger but well within the magic 3% range. 275/50R19 are 766 and for those who want 20" rins,the direct replacement is 275/45R20 ( 755 ) :spiteful:

Mikeboy,

OD = outer diameter?

The 245/55R19 have on OD of 756 . 255/55R19 are 763. Slightly larger but well within the magic 3% range. 275/50R19 are 766 and for those who want 20" rins,the direct replacement is 275/45R20 ( 755 ) :spiteful:

Wider would be nice, but you need to check all the clearances for suspension/guards. Hopefully someone tries it before me and lets everyone know the maximum possible. 245 is a reasonable size, but they look small on the Kluger.

Also need to check if they will fit in the spare wheel holder; fine unless you get a flat when there is no room inside the car. I've wondered what people with space savers do in this situation.

I understand half of what you guys are talking about... (what is are magic 3% etc) but Kluger having a full size spare was one of the reasons I picked the Kluger up (apart from 10s of others). Will wait till somebody finds out what is the max (width and diameter) is possible on Kluger rims. is 245/55R19 narrower than 255/55R19?

245 is the width of the tyre in mm.

55 is the height of the side wall as a percentage of the width.

19 is the diameter of the rim in inches.

The OD, outside diameter, of the Kluger tyres is (19 x 25.4) + (245 x 55/100 x 2) = 752.1mm

or (17 x 25.4) + (245 x 65/100 x 2) = 750.3mm for the KX-R.

I see. The standard tyre on Grande is 245/55 R19 103S. So if I manage to install 255/55 R19 103S (propely, I mean - and assuming they will fit existing rims) I'll get wider tyres... downside I'll have to buy 5, not 4. Thanks everybody for education, btw

I see. The standard tyre on Grande is 245/55 R19 103S. So if I manage to install 255/55 R19 103S (propely, I mean - and assuming they will fit existing rims) I'll get wider tyres... downside I'll have to buy 5, not 4. Thanks everybody for education, btw

They will fit; it's not a very big difference. Also, you wouldn't need to change the spare, as long as you use it as a spare and repair the other tyre ASAP.

I don't want to hijack this thread - but there seem to be a few tyre knowlegable people around!

I am getting closer to needing to get snow chains - haven't found any to suit the factory 245/55 R19 tyres and will need to go and try some to see if they fit OK

I have seen chains for 255/55 19 tryes so if these are very close to the factory tyre and will fit on OK as suggested above, does anyone know if chains for this tyre would be likely to fit the factory size also??

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to hijack this thread - but there seem to be a few tyre knowlegable people around!

I am getting closer to needing to get snow chains - haven't found any to suit the factory 245/55 R19 tyres and will need to go and try some to see if they fit OK

I have seen chains for 255/55 19 tryes so if these are very close to the factory tyre and will fit on OK as suggested above, does anyone know if chains for this tyre would be likely to fit the factory size also??

Thanks

Does anyone know the price per corner of the AVAN ST in the size mentioned above? Will the insurance still cover you if you change from the factory size?

• 1 year later...

I've just gone through the pain of purchasing new tyres for my KX-S. In the end I settled on the Bridgestone D400's because I've had no trouble with them regarding wear, noise ..etc.. I considered the ADVAN ST and in fact they were cheaper than the D400's but the oversize tyre may cause more problems. I was told to watch out for the front tyres rubbing on full lock as there's not a great deal of room under the front guards. This can be fixed but added more cost.

From a pricing perspective, the D400's were quoted by three of the larger national tyre chains at $550, $515, $489. Next I tried a smaller independent tyre shop called "King of Tyres" at Baulkham Hills (Sydney). They said $450 each - SOLD!!

The best price I got on the ADVANS was $437 by JAX Tyres.

I've just gone through the pain of purchasing new tyres for my KX-S. In the end I settled on the Bridgestone D400's because I've had no trouble with them regarding wear, noise ..etc.. I considered the ADVAN ST and in fact they were cheaper than the D400's but the oversize tyre may cause more problems. I was told to watch out for the front tyres rubbing on full lock as there's not a great deal of room under the front guards. This can be fixed but added more cost.

From a pricing perspective, the D400's were quoted by three of the larger national tyre chains at $550, $515, $489. Next I tried a smaller independent tyre shop called "King of Tyres" at Baulkham Hills (Sydney). They said $450 each - SOLD!!

just a side note - beware of the "king of tyres" they have a hills district reputation as the "kings of wheel nuts left off car". Too many times i have driven past only to see a car up the road from them missing a rim, and it has happened to a guy i now live near, from the same shop... moral is - Check they're on tight yourself.

just a side note - beware of the "king of tyres" they have a hills district reputation as the "kings of wheel nuts left off car". Too many times i have driven past only to see a car up the road from them missing a rim, and it has happened to a guy i now live near, from the same shop... moral is - Check they're on tight yourself.

That's great info Guys....never used King of Tyres and they are only 5mins drive from me! Lucky I don't like lose nuts!

Do you know what you have to do to the front guards to fit the Advans? Because the rubber thats on there at present does not phase me either way, I think they are a pretty average Tyre :o

Because of a previous topic concerning tyres, I had a look at the specs on the tyres fitted to KX-S and Grande. I found that these tyres are rated to only 180kmh. Is that why Toyota claims a top speed of 180kmh or do they also electronically limit the speed to 180kmh? Ah NO!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread, but i would just like to say i can confirm (incase anyone was not aware) my 2009 Kluger Grande AWD is electronically limited to just under 180km/h (most, if not all japanese built cars are limited to 180km/h as per japanese law - with some manufacturers choosing to remove this limitation when they are exported (or imported) into another country outside japan, but, in the case of the Aussie Klugers, Toyota did not choose to remove this speed limiting.

and FSAG, i achieved around 10.8L per 100KMs on a recent trip from sydney to just north of Armidale taking the Bucketts way and Thunderbolts way. (avoiding the new england highway) loaded boot with 3 adults.