Oil consumption and driveshaft clunking in Landcruiser 200

killtrassy

I have had my T/D Landcruiser since early December 2007 and have covered 11500 klms mostly towing a 2.5 ton caravan. Have spoken to a few other owners and all are experiencing these two problems. The oil consumption is improving from 2 litres in the first 3000 klms to about 1/2 litre for 4000klms now so hopefully it will sort itself out. Apparently dealers have been made aware of this are are advising clients to check their oil levels regularly especially if you are working the motors and not just driving around the suburbs.

The clunking appears to be coming from the driveshaft and is only evident when you pull up and take off. A reason that has been given is lack of grease in the drive shaft splines but I have pumped some grease in but has not made much difference.

Otherwise it is a great vehicle especially if towing a van. Would be interested to hear it others are having the above problems also.

Regards Tony

• 4 weeks later...
I have had my T/D Landcruiser since early December 2007 and have covered 11500 klms mostly towing a 2.5 ton caravan. Have spoken to a few other owners and all are experiencing these two problems. The oil consumption is improving from 2 litres in the first 3000 klms to about 1/2 litre for 4000klms now so hopefully it will sort itself out. Apparently dealers have been made aware of this are are advising clients to check their oil levels regularly especially if you are working the motors and not just driving around the suburbs.

The clunking appears to be coming from the driveshaft and is only evident when you pull up and take off. A reason that has been given is lack of grease in the drive shaft splines but I have pumped some grease in but has not made much difference.

Otherwise it is a great vehicle especially if towing a van. Would be interested to hear it others are having the above problems also.

Regards Tony

Spoke to service manager last week when my LC 200 was in for a service ( love the Toyota Advantage Service at $180 / service for the first 6 services ) and he said they are still trying to work out why the clunk from the transmission when pulling up or taking off. Pumping grease into the driveshaft splines has not fixed the problem.

Has anyone else heard of a solution. Every owner I have spoken to has the same problem. I personally think it has something to do with that silly hill assist arrangement they have put on the TD.

Regards Tony

Spoke to service manager last week when my LC 200 was in for a service ( love the Toyota Advantage Service at $180 / service for the first 6 services ) and he said they are still trying to work out why the clunk from the transmission when pulling up or taking off. Pumping grease into the driveshaft splines has not fixed the problem.

Has anyone else heard of a solution. Every owner I have spoken to has the same problem. I personally think it has something to do with that silly hill assist arrangement they have put on the TD.

Regards Tony

I've only done around 1000k in my 200GXL TD and have not experienced any clunking either starting or stopping. Basically, I'm rapt although I would have preferred a manual. Towed the camper trailer into the hills and back over the weekend for the first time and towing ability was awesome pulling around 1 tonne.

The clunk can be stopped - you have to pump in the right amount of grease, not too much, not too little. It takes a bit of trial and error, of course...

[

Mate.....I can assure you it had absolutly NOTHING to do with the, as you described, "silly hill start thing".

The hill assist control is a system that works on the brakes and is a part of the traction contol set up. All it does is detect (when the car is in drive) rearwood motion and applys the brakes intemittently. at about 60 times per second for about 5 seconds....thats it.

The clunk in a tailshaft issue (not transmission). The tailshaft on the 200 gets longer and shorter as the suspention and vehicle move. The clunk is created by the spindal thread that allows this motion. To much or to little = clunk. Personally, I would be taking it back to Toyota for them to fix it, as I have done, and not try and fix it yourself. Can you imagine if you used the wrong grease, or quantity and Toyota can relate it back to you.....That means you have to fork out your hard earned coin to fix the problem.

With the oil problem, I have used 2 litres in 9150 kilometres. A diesel engine can take up to 20000km to bed in and settle in oil consumption.

Edited by ConeHead

• 2 weeks later...
[

Mate.....I can assure you it had absolutly NOTHING to do with the, as you described, "silly hill start thing".

The hill assist control is a system that works on the brakes and is a part of the traction contol set up. All it does is detect (when the car is in drive) rearwood motion and applys the brakes intemittently. at about 60 times per second for about 5 seconds....thats it.

The clunk in a tailshaft issue (not transmission). The tailshaft on the 200 gets longer and shorter as the suspention and vehicle move. The clunk is created by the spindal thread that allows this motion. To much or to little = clunk. Personally, I would be taking it back to Toyota for them to fix it, as I have done, and not try and fix it yourself. Can you imagine if you used the wrong grease, or quantity and Toyota can relate it back to you.....That means you have to fork out your hard earned coin to fix the problem.

With the oil problem, I have used 2 litres in 9150 kilometres. A diesel engine can take up to 20000km to bed in and settle in oil consumption.

"Mate" ( my name is Tony what is yours Conehead ? )

I have had two previous model Landcruisers and all of them had tailshafts that moved as you have described above and none of them clunked as I came to a stop or about to take off. I have taken it back twice to the dealer and so far with no satisfactory result. The grease recommended is NLGI No. 2 which is a basic chassis grease and how much is too much or not enough in your opinion. Of course you don't want to pump it in so much that it is spewing out everywhere.

I only suggested the hill assist function as a thought ; it was not on the previous models so thought the problem might lie there. I still think it is a "silly" thing and of no real practical use.

You said you have used 2 litres of oil in 9150 klms. How much hard work have you done with towing a caravan etc. Mine does not use much poking about town but it certainly increases when you put it under a heavy load which is what they are made for aren't they ? My two previous LC T/D used none ; 80 series 156000 klm ; 100 series 138000 klm. They both pulled vans so why are these using oil ? I have now done 14500 klms in mine now but maybe it will stop using oil at 20000 klms. but I don't think so. Toyota reckoned after 10000 klms it would settle down.

Anyway besides the above problems it is big improvement on the 100 series as a tow vehicle and very enjoyable to drive.

Regards Tony

the old man has both these issues.

the clunk was reduced around 90% (his claim) on its first service) by greasing and the oil use was around 1/2 litre per 1000k's I believe.

the clunk he can live with, the oil use he ain't impressed with at all.

same with a few things like missing power outlets etc.

• 2 weeks later...

the clunk was reduced around 90% (his claim) on its first service) by greasing and the oil use was around 1/2 litre per 1000k's I believe.

Mate our v8 cruisers at work chew oil. More when there putting around than working hard.. Keep an eye on your alternator. We work 0n 90% dirt roads and due to the position the placed the alternator they seem to fill up with dirt and self distruct! We get an avarage of 2000 - 15000km out of an alternator!

• 3 weeks later...

Mate our v8 cruisers at work chew oil. More when there putting around than working hard.. Keep an eye on your alternator. We work 0n 90% dirt roads and due to the position the placed the alternator they seem to fill up with dirt and self distruct! We get an avarage of 2000 - 15000km out of an alternator!

Floging the ***** off my lc200 ttd in the mines i use 1-1.25lt of oil every week. its only 3mths old but we have done 25000km in it and the oil consumption does not seem to be easing up. BTW where are you getting your alternaters from ?

• 5 months later...
[

[

• 4 months later...

on the clunking tail shaft they are replaceing the whole shaft took awhile n a lot of bickering but done now good///on the oil consuption mine uses 500ml of oil every 1500kls and now they are going to replace the vacume pump ...they say its sucking oil so this is the fix solution at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

Started with 2L / 10k kms up until around 30k and now 1L / 10k. LC now has 54k on the clock.

Clunk is still there and I believe the Prados are having the same issue.

Don't have the dust issues and we do a lot of gravel driving - use the fresh with fan and switch to recirc when passing others, and don't follow in the dust.

Turbo lag seems to have improved (less lag) since the recall for so called stalling !

TCO.