Aurion sportivo paint, manual, transmission oil and remote key

JIN

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The transmission is a sealed unit. Thats what the sales guy told me when I bought the car.

which is why i will never buy an aurion, as sweet as the engine may be... give me a manual, or a way to service the auto, but don't tell me that fluid is good for 100k...

The transmission is a sealed unit. Thats what the sales guy told me when I bought the car.

which is why i will never buy an aurion, as sweet as the engine may be... give me a manual, or a way to service the auto, but don't tell me that fluid is good for 100k...

You can still have the fluid changed at request. You can even change it yourself if you take the appropriate care to make sure the transmission fluid is heated to the right temperature.

Even if the only way to change the transmission fluid was through Toyota, I'd still pick an Aurion over a manual 4 cylinder Camry any day.

----------

Edit: After looking at the U660E service manual again (haven't looked at it since last year when I first posted in this thread), changing the transmission fluid on the Aurion is actually easier than it was anticipated at first. You don't need the Intelligent Tester as that is only used to get the transmission fluid up to 39 degrees before starting the procedure. You should be able to work this out without the need for the IT if you want to change it yourself.

Basically you just need to do the following (page 164 onwards):

1. BEFORE FILLING TRANSAXLE WITH FLUID

• This transaxle requires Genuine ATF WS transmission fluid.

• After servicing the transaxle, you must refill the transaxle with the correct amount of fluid.

• Maintain the vehicle in a horizontal position while adjusting fluid level.

• Proceed to step 2 if the oil pan, valve body, drive shaft, and/or torque converter has been removed or if the oil seal has been replaced.

• Proceed to step 3 if oil leakage has been repaired and if the oil cooler and cooler hose have been removed.

2. FILL TRANSAXLE PAN WITH FLUID

(a) Remove the engine under cover LH.

(
b
) Remove the engine under cover RH.

(
c
) Remove the under front fender apron seal RH.

(d) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.

(e) Fill the transaxle through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.

(f) Temporarily install the overflow plug.

3. FILL TRANSAXLE WITH FLUID

(a) Fill the transaxle with the correct amount of fluid (shown in service manual).

HINT:

If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:

(1) Temporarily install the refill plug.

(2) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.

(3) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.

(4) Move the shift lever to the P position.

(5) Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.

(6) Stop the engine.

(7) Remove the refill plug and add fluid.

(8) Reinstall the refill plug.

(b) Temporarily install the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.

4. CIRCULATE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID

(a) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.

(b) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate the fluid.

5. CHECK FLUID TEMPERATURE

NOTICE: The fluid temperature should be less than 40°C(104°F) before beginning the fluid temperature check.

(a) With the intelligent tester:

(1) Connect the intelligent tester to the DLC3.

(2) Select the tester menus: OBD/MOBD, ENGINE, DATA LIST and A/T.

(3) Check A/T OIL TEMP.

(4) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 39°C (102°F).

(b) Without the intelligent tester (Using D shift indicator):

(1) Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of the DLC3 using SST (SST 09843-18040) - Or a paperclip will do the trick ;) .

(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and D at 1.5 seconds interval for 6 seconds.

(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter comes on for 2 seconds when the fluid temperature is within the appropriate temperature range.

(4) The D shift indicator will come on again when the fluid temperature reaches 40°C (104°F) and will blink when it exceeds 45°C (113°F).

(5) After confirming that the D shift indicator turns off, move the shift lever to the P position and remove the SST from terminals CG and TC.

6. CHECK TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL

NOTICE: The fluid temperature must be between 40°C (104°F) and 45°C (113°F) to accurately check the fluid level.

(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.

(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube. If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7. If fluid comes out, wait until the overflow slows to a trickle and proceed to step 8.

7. ADD FLUID

(a) Install the overflow plug.

(b) Remove the refill plug.

(c) Add the fluid until it comes out of the overflow plug.

(d) Wait until the overflow slows to a trickle.

(e) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.

(f) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.

(g) Stop the engine.

8. AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION

(a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket. Torque: 40 N*m (408 kgf*cm, 30 ft.*lbf)

(b) Install the refill plug with a new gasket. Torque: 49 N*m (500 kgf*cm, 36 ft.*lbf)

(c) Stop the engine.

So essentially, all you need to do is find a way to measure the automatic fluid transmission temperature in step 5a without the Intelligent Tester, and you can change the fluid yourself. The only reason why I can imagine that step is required is just to save time so you don't need to wait for long for the fluid to get in between 40 and 45 degrees. So long as it's warm and below 40 degrees when you do step 5b, you should have no issues.

So there you go. I'll gladly stick with my Aurion regardless of the procedure to change it or whether Toyota say it will last 160,000km or more. I will have it changed when I feel it should be, whether it be myself or Toyota that does it.

You can still have the fluid changed at request. You can even change it yourself if you take the appropriate care to make sure the transmission fluid is heated to the right temperature.

Even if the only way to change the transmission fluid was through Toyota, I'd still pick an Aurion over a manual 4 cylinder Camry any day.

----------

Edit: After looking at the U660E service manual again (haven't looked at it since last year when I first posted in this thread), changing the transmission fluid on the Aurion is actually easier than it was anticipated at first. You don't need the Intelligent Tester as that is only used to get the transmission fluid up to 39 degrees before starting the procedure. You should be able to work this out without the need for the IT if you want to change it yourself.

Basically you just need to do the following (page 164 onwards):

1. BEFORE FILLING TRANSAXLE WITH FLUID

• This transaxle requires Genuine ATF WS transmission fluid.

• After servicing the transaxle, you must refill the transaxle with the correct amount of fluid.

• Maintain the vehicle in a horizontal position while adjusting fluid level.

• Proceed to step 2 if the oil pan, valve body, drive shaft, and/or torque converter has been removed or if the oil seal has been replaced.

• Proceed to step 3 if oil leakage has been repaired and if the oil cooler and cooler hose have been removed.

2. FILL TRANSAXLE PAN WITH FLUID

(a) Remove the engine under cover LH.

(
b
) Remove the engine under cover RH.

(
c
) Remove the under front fender apron seal RH.

(d) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.

(e) Fill the transaxle through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.

(f) Temporarily install the overflow plug.

3. FILL TRANSAXLE WITH FLUID

(a) Fill the transaxle with the correct amount of fluid (shown in service manual).

HINT:

If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:

(1) Temporarily install the refill plug.

(2) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.

(3) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.

(4) Move the shift lever to the P position.

(5) Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.

(6) Stop the engine.

(7) Remove the refill plug and add fluid.

(8) Reinstall the refill plug.

(b) Temporarily install the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.

4. CIRCULATE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID

(a) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.

(b) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate the fluid.

5. CHECK FLUID TEMPERATURE

NOTICE: The fluid temperature should be less than 40°C(104°F) before beginning the fluid temperature check.

(a) With the intelligent tester:

(1) Connect the intelligent tester to the DLC3.

(2) Select the tester menus: OBD/MOBD, ENGINE, DATA LIST and A/T.

(3) Check A/T OIL TEMP.

(4) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 39°C (102°F).

(1) Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of the DLC3 using SST (SST 09843-18040) - Or a paperclip will do the trick ;) .

(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and D at 1.5 seconds interval for 6 seconds.

(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter comes on for 2 seconds when the fluid temperature is within the appropriate temperature range.

(4) The D shift indicator will come on again when the fluid temperature reaches 40°C (104°F) and will blink when it exceeds 45°C (113°F).

(5) After confirming that the D shift indicator turns off, move the shift lever to the P position and remove the SST from terminals CG and TC.

6. CHECK TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL

NOTICE: The fluid temperature must be between 40°C (104°F) and 45°C (113°F) to accurately check the fluid level.

(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.

(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube. If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7. If fluid comes out, wait until the overflow slows to a trickle and proceed to step 8.

7. ADD FLUID

(a) Install the overflow plug.

(b) Remove the refill plug.

(c) Add the fluid until it comes out of the overflow plug.

(d) Wait until the overflow slows to a trickle.

(e) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.

(f) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.

(g) Stop the engine.

8. AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION

(a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket. Torque: 40 N*m (408 kgf*cm, 30 ft.*lbf)

(b) Install the refill plug with a new gasket. Torque: 49 N*m (500 kgf*cm, 36 ft.*lbf)

(c) Stop the engine.

So essentially, all you need to do is find a way to measure the automatic fluid transmission temperature in step 5a without the Intelligent Tester, and you can change the fluid yourself. The only reason why I can imagine that step is required is just to save time so you don't need to wait for long for the fluid to get in between 40 and 45 degrees. So long as it's warm and below 40 degrees when you do step 5b, you should have no issues.

So there you go. I'll gladly stick with my Aurion regardless of the procedure to change it or whether Toyota say it will last 160,000km or more. I will have it changed when I feel it should be, whether it be myself or Toyota that does it.

wow... how about a manual aurion? wouldn't that be great. for an auto, i prefer drain, rep[lace plug, fill up, go...

wow... how about a manual aurion? wouldn't that be great. for an auto, i prefer drain, rep[lace plug, fill up, go...

Might not be the easiest process, but in the end the transmission was designed to have a long service life with little maintenance. I'd rather have a transmission that needs less maintenance and low risk of overfilling than one which is simpler to change yet requires regular maintenance. You will find that a majority of Aurion owners here have had very few issues in terms of mechanical auto transmission faults, which is a credit to the quality of the design.

I think a manual Aurion would be nice, but being a FWD - I think it would be impossible to maintain good traction easily with the amount of power, especially since even an auto is capable of easily losing traction. If the Aurion was AWD on the other hand... then manual would be a great option.

Might not be the easiest process, but in the end the transmission was designed to have a long service life with little maintenance. I'd rather have a transmission that needs less maintenance and low risk of overfilling than one which is simpler to change yet requires regular maintenance. You will find that a majority of Aurion owners here have had very few issues in terms of mechanical auto transmission faults, which is a credit to the quality of the design.

I think a manual Aurion would be nice, but being a FWD - I think it would be impossible to maintain good traction easily with the amount of power, especially since even an auto is capable of easily losing traction. If the Aurion was AWD on the other hand... then manual would be a great option.

i agree with the fundamental engineering issues of what you are saying. i think time will tell - the aurion is a fairly new car. let's give it ten years?

without trying to start an argument,they have been around for 3 yrs now and so far i havent heard of any 1 having probs with them,as you say only time will tell.

but toyota being toyota i cant envisage a problem as they have always had pretty good gearbox's,how many old torana's used to get round with 5 speeds etc in them.

anyways as you say-time will tell

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the keys......

I bought, second hand from a Toyota Dealer, an AT-X last November and only recieved one [master] key and one remote.

If Aurions are supposed to be delivered with two complete sets (remotes and keys) and one valet key, what rights do I have to return to the dealer and request the other keys be supplied to me?

The Dealer was Cardiff Toyota.

I bought, second hand from a Toyota Dealer, an AT-X last November and only recieved one [master] key and one remote.

If Aurions are supposed to be delivered with two complete sets (remotes and keys) and one valet key, what rights do I have to return to the dealer and request the other keys be supplied to me?

in short-none matee as it was sold 2nd hand to you,the dealer more than likely was only given the 1 key,the previous owner more than likely has them,if you have his name you could try to track him down or ask the dealer for more details

in short-none matee as it was sold 2nd hand to you,the dealer more than likely was only given the 1 key,the previous owner more than likely has them,if you have his name you could try to track him down or ask the dealer for more details

...makes you wonder if the dealer keeps the keys just so I have to cough up $300+ if I want a spare set.......

• 1 month later...

Because I will be going to QR this weekend, I would like to get my transmission fluid replaced afterwards since my car has been though quite a lot as it is. When I booked in for my 75,000km service today, I asked how much it would cost to change the ATF. I was quoted $190.

Personally, I'm starting to really consider changing it myself. They WS ATF comes in 4 litre tins at about $56 each from their spare parts counter. The procedure is just a little crazy, but it hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

Personally, I'm starting to really consider changing it myself. They WS ATF comes in 4 litre tins at about $56 each from their spare parts counter. The procedure is just a little crazy, but it hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

There are two Penrite ATF's that meet the Toyota WS spec to give you more options. The SIN ATF and the ATF MHP.

Because I will be going to QR this weekend, I would like to get my transmission fluid replaced afterwards since my car has been though quite a lot as it is. When I booked in for my 75,000km service today, I asked how much it would cost to change the ATF. I was quoted $190.

try bob is the oil guy. they have some guys on there who have done it at home using an IR temperature sensor and flushing through the cooler lines.

There are two Penrite ATF's that meet the Toyota WS spec to give you more options. The SIN ATF and the ATF MHP.

personally i would trust Amsoil's new ATL formulation over penrite's offerings. WS is a low viscosity fluid, which those penrite formulations are not. (but hey penrite is known for "thick is better").

I have some Amsoil ATF ready to go for my T-IV tranny. just need the miles to click on over.

I haven't really had any issues with whatever Toyota has as their OEM WS ATF. It is doing a good job for me and the car still holds up to the driving I give it. It's not really something that I desperately need to change brands on.

That said though, the Amsoil ATL is looking promising... who in Australia would actually stock it?

Hey,

here are the prices for the Master key and the keykess entry fob for an AT-X but these are the same as the ones for the SX6 and Prodigy.

AT-X Master Key-P/N: 89785-08020 $$ 105.00

AT-X Keyless Remote-P/N: 89742-AC080 $$ 271.00

Cheers.

hey daryl... i was under the assumption that it would make things a WHOLE lot easier if you had one of those magical toyota electronmical-do-whackies to connect to your car when you changed the oil...

or is my memory failing me from the last time i read the service manual? lol

hey daryl... i was under the assumption that it would make things a WHOLE lot easier if you had one of those magical toyota electronmical-do-whackies to connect to your car when you changed the oil...

or is my memory failing me from the last time i read the service manual? lol

That is correct. The Intelligent Tester will give you an exact reading of the temperature of the ATF which is critical to getting the level just right. Toyota specifies that it needs to be between 40 to 45 degrees Celsius to obtain a proper fill level.

However, they have made a way you can do it without the Intelligent Tester. In post number 28 towards the top of this page, you can see the steps required.

(1) Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of the DLC3 using SST (SST 09843-18040) - Or a paperclip will do the trick wink.gif .

I haven't really had any issues with whatever Toyota has as their OEM WS ATF. It is doing a good job for me and the car still holds up to the driving I give it. It's not really something that I desperately need to change brands on.

That said though, the Amsoil ATL is looking promising... who in Australia would actually stock it?

i will PM a place that does it. some individual folks sell it too, i ordered ATF from a lady in south australia.

holding off on putting ATF in. i'm a bit of a wimp - i may stick with T-IV while the camry is my primary car.

holding off on putting ATF in. i'm a bit of a wimp - i may stick with T-IV while the camry is my primary car.

Thanks for the PM.

I'm kinda feeling that way, but I'm thinking that I'll just go straight in and bite the bullet. Just have to make sure I get their new ATL and not their 'ATF' otherwise then I'll be making a serious mistake.... and as long as it doesn't cost a small fortune.

I'm more worried about the whole procedure on changing it really. Still haven't figured how I will put the fluid into the gearbox. The service manual shows them using a pump and hose type thing since the filling point is on the vertical face of the gearbox.

RE: Key, Mr. Minit is able to clone the genuine key with the same device used for Commodore/Falcon immobilisers. I had a spare of the spare (:lol:) cut in case one goes amiss. It was $70 walk away, no more to pay.

Edit: Enters/starts the car without any dramas

Edited by MJG

At the 45K service, the tech told me that the tranny oil needs to be change. He said that it was running on alittle low.

I thought to myself, I must have gone through it like water!

Can't remember the cost but it was in the 100-200 mark.

At the 45K service, the tech told me that the tranny oil needs to be change. He said that it was running on alittle low.

I thought to myself, I must have gone through it like water!

Can't remember the cost but it was in the 100-200 mark.

Transmission fluid is never 'used' unless there is something not right. Maybe the last time they checked the level it was too hot and it lost a bit of its fluid.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey,

here are the prices for the Master key and the keykess entry fob for an AT-X but these are the same as the ones for the SX6 and Prodigy.

AT-X Master Key-P/N: 89785-08020 $$ 105.00

AT-X Keyless Remote-P/N: 89742-AC080 $$ 271.00

Cheers.

Better than the quote I got on the Gold Coast a week ago:

Key 89785-08020 $ 133.00 + tax

Remote 89742-AC080 $ 340.00 + tax

What is the go with things like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-KEYL...sQ5fAccessories

Will they work on the Aurion? they are a heap cheaper!

Ta.

KG