Wiring Diagram for Hilux Stereo

parable_au

Greetings,

I am wanting to change my radio cassette player in Toyota Hilux 1997 dual cab and need a wiring chart/diagram.

Does anyone have anything to explain the colour coded wires at the back of the radio?

Thanks

Mate, you came to the right place. I did it to my 1990 Model Hilux.

Here is a full walk through, from taking the dash apart to installing the Headunit... http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/stereo.htm

And here is the wiring harness diagram... http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

Have a good one!!

Mate, you came to the right place. I did it to my 1990 Model Hilux.

Here is a full walk through, from taking the dash apart to installing the Headunit... http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/stereo.htm

And here is the wiring harness diagram... http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

Have a good one!!

Thankyou for that help and info.

I am wondering also, after seeing that Surf makeover, whether I can fit a Toyota Double-Din player neatly into the cavity which currently holds the single DIN player and tray? In the above UK link, the Surf centre console has been masticated; something that I do not aim to achieve.

Advise is appreciated before any impending debacle.

Yer mate, you can. When i took the dash off mine i sore that you can actually just take the other DIN slot out, and you will be able to mount watever you want in there. Just a matter of screwing it into the metal bracket and bobs ya uncle's lover!!!

Its pretty straightforward once you take the dash off.

Any more questions, feel free to ask..

Edited by Dj_Dirty

For any others that may require the original wiring diagram for Hilux 1988-1996 2WD and 4WD

-Gregorys Manual No. 516, page 283

It is photocopied from your local public library (as i found out that they have most of these manuals)

I now have a PDF file here.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/rj.bownds/pdf...g_1988_1996.pdf

Cheers

radio_wiring_1988_1996.pdf

:help: So how does the middle section of dash come away (center fascia), i had both sides of the front dash panneling off, and the bit just below the din bays.. and got stuck there, and when i started pulling on the fascia the clock wanted to come off 2.

I ended up giving up as i didnt need to go past there at the time, i just wanted to know how the head and amp had been wired up (as i know its in a funny configuration)..

Stupid question maybe, but i know ill break things with brute pulling on things if i dont know where the fiddly bits are..!

Cheers!

:help: So how does the middle section of dash come away (center fascia), i had both sides of the front dash panneling off, and the bit just below the din bays.. and got stuck there, and when i started pulling on the fascia the clock wanted to come off 2.

I ended up giving up as i didnt need to go past there at the time, i just wanted to know how the head and amp had been wired up (as i know its in a funny configuration)..

Stupid question maybe, but i know ill break things with brute pulling on things if i dont know where the fiddly bits are..!

Cheers!

Ur on the right track, its jsut a matter of jigglng the middle off and unplugging the clock and cigerrate lighter. Then BAM! You got it off!

DJ Dirty

"Any more questions, feel free to ask.."

Hi, I am thinking about trying to change my archaic speedo (petrol, electronic type) and replacing this with a Surf instrument panel which has a Tacho embedded in it.

Do you know if this is possible and is their any special wiring to be done to activate the Tacho?

Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread - for my old Hilux :-) Need a pic of the fusebox or a wiring diagram and the link to the .pdf mentioned above in 2008 doesn't work anymore.

My 1988 twin cab2 wheel drive diesel ute was a gift and is used as a paddock basher on rural property. The odometer stopped working at 450,000 km and it has done plenty more since.

It has been extensively fiddled with and patched up, only the bare bones are intact, the radio and wipers are about all that's usable..

Problem is the fuel gauge is not working. I'm thinking it might just be the fuse.

Most of the fuses are missing and the fusebox cover once had printing showing which fuses was which but the printing has become unreadable.

Anybody have a wiring diagram, or better a pic of the fusebox cover? ? It's an Oz vehicle if that's any help.

TIA

• 11 months later...
On 4/29/2008 at 9:07 PM, parable_au said:

Greetings,

I am wanting to change my radio cassette player in Toyota Hilux 1997 dual cab and need a wiring chart/diagram.

Does anyone have anything to explain the colour coded wires at the back of the radio?

Thanks

I took.my radio cassette out and replaced it with a new pioneer radio with Bluetooth and USB socket for playing saved music. The Bluetooth I can answer phone calls get street directions and play music from my phone.

Basically if you dont know what the coloured wires mean you will have to trace them to where they go

Most of the wires will go to speakers and there will be a wire supplying power.

Once you have sussed out where the wires lead to your changing things over to a new system should be easier. 

The best way to tell the power wires is with a circuit tester that lights up when power is present 

You can get get circuit testers from Repco or Supercheap etc for a few dollars.

If you don't know how to use it ask the people in the shop where you are buying it. Also YouTube probably has something on how to use circuit testers 

Dont forget to unplug your aerial and plug it in to the new system.

Hope this helps

Let me know how you get on 

• 4 weeks later...

Few places Frankies Auto electrical or Ashdown Ingram ,Repco all do the wiring harness to suit all vehicles

just plug in to exsisting ,Got all mine at Frankies 

• 1 year later...