2WD or AWD

shecskter

Hi,

New here, seriously thinking about the kluger KX-S. Only thing unsure of is whether to get the 2WD or AWD. So a few questions if you don't mind.

Is the AWD worth the extra cost?

Is it all wheel drive al the time, or is it on-demand and runs on front-wheel drive most of the time?

Is AWD lockable? (like the nissan xtrail)

Does the AWD burn use more petrol?

Like the idea of AWD but would like to know if it worths the extra money

Thanks

Hi,

New here, seriously thinking about the kluger KX-S. Only thing unsure of is whether to get the 2WD or AWD. So a few questions if you don't mind.

Is the AWD worth the extra cost?

Is it all wheel drive al the time, or is it on-demand and runs on front-wheel drive most of the time?

Is AWD lockable? (like the nissan xtrail)

Does the AWD burn use more petrol?

Like the idea of AWD but would like to know if it worths the extra money

Thanks

My biased opinion is, yes its worth the extra cost.

To me it really came down to having extra grip, especially in the wet, as well as possibly using it for low level off road use.

But it depends on what you plan to use it for. If its general use as a people mover then 2WD might be the best way to go.

The AWD is constant AWD theres no option to lock unlock etc, its always there. I believe it uses a little more petrol about 0.6l/100km or so they say.

We get on average about 12 - 14l /100 km with ours and thats running around in Sydney.

I beleive because of the high power of the car the 2WD experiences quite a bit of torque steer when you use your horses.

If you like the idea of AWD and can afford it, get it, otherwise youll always be wondering later on.

Having had AWD cars for the last 13 years, I would never go back to 2WD for my family car. For me the safety benefits outweigh the increased price :)

Cheers

Until recently, I had an AWD Grande. This was our family car. It was written off and a new one is arriving next month.

I am currently driving a FWD KX-R. This is my work car.

I have found absolutely no problems with torque steer in the FWD. There is, however, insufficient grip for full throttle accelleration, but this is also to do with the standard tyres fitted to the KX-R I think. The tyres on the KX-S, Grande are better but not great.

If you drive relatively sensibly, you wouldn't notice the difference between the 2.

We got the AWD because our previous Toyotas have lasted so long that we felt there may be a need for AWD sometime in the next 6 - 8 years. If we never planned to use the AWD other than on the road, we wouldn't have bothered.

For daily driving I think that AWD is now largely superfluous. We had an Outback prior to the Kluger and we really haven't noticed any differences, other than a bit of torque steer if giving it a real boot full on taking off, which is probably unneccessary anyway. I also had a need to tow a trailer & load of circa 1.5T a few months ago in the wet and I did get a lot of wheel spin going up some steep streets that I probably would not have with AWD.

With the other active handling features these days, IMHO AWD is less of a handling benefit for non-off road use that it was prior to things like EDB, ESP, & TC becoming standard mainstream.

Go for AWD if you either plan to use the car off road or tow large loads regularly.

And AWD will definitely use more fuel to the equivalent FWD. It would be mechanically impossible for it to be any other way.

Edited by The Fly

thanks for all the response so far.

looks like a little torque steer is the issue (if driven hard off the mark) and maybe front wheel spin when it's slippery.

which brings me to ask...

With the AWD....

What's the power split between front and rear wheels?, is it 50 50?

Does it detect wheel spin and correct accordingly?, will it transfer more power to a wheel that has more traction when a wheel spin is detected?

I consider $4,500 difference a lot of money, but if it makes kluger a safer vehicle to drive then maybe it's worth it.

At the moment, I don't think I'll be doing any off-roading, kids are still to small but perhaps in the later years.

thanks for all the response so far.

looks like a little torque steer is the issue (if driven hard off the mark) and maybe front wheel spin when it's slippery.

which brings me to ask...

With the AWD....

What's the power split between front and rear wheels?, is it 50 50?

Does it detect wheel spin and correct accordingly?, will it transfer more power to a wheel that has more traction when a wheel spin is detected?

I consider $4,500 difference a lot of money, but if it makes kluger a safer vehicle to drive then maybe it's worth it.

At the moment, I don't think I'll be doing any off-roading, kids are still to small but perhaps in the later years.

The torque split is 50:50.

It will brake the wheel that is spinning to transfer more torque to the wheel with grip.

If you drive normally, don't tow, don't go offroad there will not really be any safety benefit in the dry, but there will be a little in the wet.

I think resale may be better for AWD, but it's a bit too soon to tell.

Having had AWD cars for the last 13 years, I would never go back to 2WD for my family car. For me the safety benefits outweigh the increased price :)

Cheers

I should add we live in a country area with crap roads, and we tow regularly - all factors in us choosing AWD :)

We have a FWD because that was the ex-demo bargain that was available. We tow a fully-laden enclosed 6x4 box trailer regularly (we have a market stall at Mindil Beach Markets in Darwin), and we go offroad. No problems at all in those areas. I wouldn't know understeer if i fell over it without being able to compare to another with AWD.

My biggest concern is resale value. But we intend to keep car for many years (or until Kluger MkIII) and we got it cheap so that doesn't matter to much to us.

I only picked AWD as we have a farm and there is some step grass inclines that the FWD would not have liked much, that and towing the sports car thought it better for the AWD. I was concerned that it might use allot more fuel and also be slow compared to the FWD, but I am happy with the performance of mine after 1500km to date and lots of testing :D

We got the awd as when we had a test drive of the 2wd, i personally found lots of torque steer when pushing a little harder. ALso we intend to do a little bush bashing one day.

I havent even set off the stability, abs or traction control as yet but have tried the hill descent, fantastic. Doesnt come in the FWD model.

We got the awd as when we had a test drive of the 2wd, i personally found lots of torque steer when pushing a little harder. ALso we intend to do a little bush bashing one day.

I havent even set off the stability, abs or traction control as yet but have tried the hill descent, fantastic. Doesnt come in the FWD model.

I think you should try the ABS to get the feeling of what to expect. I was shocked the first time I tried them as well as other times. They are very aggressive and noisy, to me it feels like something is going to break.

Oh No. Im one to use ABS all the time, in fact the traction control light in the barina SRI goes off daily(doesnt need any rain to).

I already tested out the brakes in the demo we had, it was quicker to stop that a VZ commodore. Go figure. In the dry it was great, didnt get to test in the wet but im sure it is ok.

As i own this car, i dont want to use the brakes hard before 1000ks and also they are my tires and you know how much they cost! lol

We have a Subaru Forester and that rarely leaves the bitumen as it is, so I couldn't really see the point in buying the AWD.

There's a little torque steer when you really put the boot in, but it's nothing like the front wheel drive cars of old.

From my experience with our FWD I don' t think there is much torque steer on the Kluger. Wheelspin yes, until the TC comes in, if you try hard enough, but I think that this is sometimes is confused with torque steer.

The thing certainly doesn't go anywhere near trying to change lanes if you take off in a hurry. :)

Oh No. Im one to use ABS all the time, in fact the traction control light in the barina SRI goes off daily(doesnt need any rain to).

I already tested out the brakes in the demo we had, it was quicker to stop that a VZ commodore. Go figure. In the dry it was great, didnt get to test in the wet but im sure it is ok.

As i own this car, i dont want to use the brakes hard before 1000ks and also they are my tires and you know how much they cost! lol

I know what you mean, but you might find the ABS in the Kluger a little different. I know you tried the demo.....but Im just wondering.

I had an Alfa before and I also used to quite regularly get the ABS going. In the Alfa you could hear a quite fast rattle and feel a gentle vibration in the Pedal.

In the Kluger though, MAN!! it sounded and felt like the wheels fell off and I was scraping on the road. I can honestly say I still havnt got a good feel of it, because everytime I try, I let go of the brake because I think Im going to break something.

I really recommend to every one, to try it.

Dont worry about breaking anything, its covered under warranty! lol

Yeah my barina abs has a real metelic sound to it as opposed to our commodore which had a pretty good system. The 4 channel ones are twice as good as the 3 channel abs as the old 95 camry had the 3 channel and on certain angles you could get the back sliding out unintentionally as the rear brakes(1 channel for both rear wheels combined) would set the abs off in a slight S bend downhill. Doest do it in kluger, barina or commodore no matter how hard you try.

I also want my wife to take the advance driver course, but she will have to do it in the barina as when i went, the course requires very hard stops and they literally scrubbed near new tires!

My decision for AWD is because I need to tow 2 tonne and offroad now and then, and the snow this year. Want to carry chain, not need to install them if I can get away with it.

I am going to hire some. The chains for the 19" is $200-$400 a pair at the 4x4 shop. I ain't going to buy them just for 1-2 trips per year.

Don't worry, they should have them in the chain hire since most of the LandRovers, Porsches, Audi are on the similar size wheel now

Edited by Taka

We have the 2WD and we're happy. Roughly 11-12 litres per 100ks around town, low 10s on the freeway.

Dont forget, the AWD option is another $4500. If you're not planning to go offroad often, it may not be worth it. Ive actually driven on a lot of fire trails and offroad surfaces as Im a mountain biker on the weekends. The clearance and approach angles of the vehicle are great and Ive not been stuck yet.

Im more than happy with the safety features of our vehicle, even though its not AWD.

I believe the 2WD version has lower servicing costs ultimately too.

• 6 months later...

We have just ordered two KX-R's for work. One is a 2 WD and one the AWD.

I do and will be doing a far bit of driving on the roads of south western Queensland, so I went for the AWD, the other vehicle will be used generally on sealed roads around SE Queensland. We took the 2WD version for a test drive around town, and on the open road and I really did feel the typical pull of the front wheel drive. Having experienced this before in a smaller underpowered Nubira it bought back bad memories. For me on the Western roads and for the extra safety in the wet for the family it had to be AWD.

Also I was wondering if anyone has installed a aftermarket stereo , and if so what model, brand ? Also do you have to buy any extra parts etc for the changeover, ( apart from wiring changes).

Cheers

Gary

Edited by clivia kluger