96 hiace gearbox problems

Kensex

hello all guys

something is wrong with my ultra reliable hiace

the van seems to have problems with putting in into gears, bought the car as it is since 7 years ago

find it hard to put it in 1st.

1st to 2nd

2nd to 3rd and so on

does it for all gears

clutch has been changed

but i don't know why its hard to select a gear

is there something to adjust it?

kenny

Aye man,

I have a few probs with my luxxy gear box. Just every now an then i get a clunk and all that. Same sort of thing that your getting. My way around it is to just be firm but gentle when changing gears. THe only problem there is when you drive another car and than get back in the lux and forget you start quick shifting again B) HAHA

V8Toy may have a more informative answer LOL! I just rambling HAHAHA!!!!!

was the problem there before you changed the clutch??.

if it wasn't then i would suggest there is an alignment problem with the clutch.

another posibility is that the bell housing may be mis-aligned too. the rear of the engine has (should) 2 alignment pins. sometimes the housing can get stuck and not get pulled up tight against the engine. this would cause "binding" and can result in the problems you are having.

did you check the oil level in the gearbox after you refitted it??

gearboxes rely heavily on their oil to work correctly. without enough oil they become difficult to change at the very least.

hope this helps

cheers

if it wasn't then i would suggest there is an alignment problem with the clutch.

another posibility is that the bell housing may be mis-aligned too. the rear of the engine has (should) 2 alignment pins. sometimes the housing can get stuck and not get pulled up tight against the engine. this would cause "binding" and can result in the problems you are having.

i would think if the gearbox and engine surfaces have mated up that the bolts would keep that side of things straight but yes does depend if the clutch was installed centred on the flywheel and u didnt have to force the gearbox/engine back together

the other big factor like 99% of the problem is either the slave cylinder (if hydraulic clutch) or cable adjustment (if not hydraulic clutch)

to fix it with a hydraulic clutch u first need to bleed the line cause it may have got some air into in the process of the clutch change other than try adjusting the rod that comes outa the slave cylinder this has the effect were the clutch operates in relation to were your foot is on the pedal then fail all that good chance that either the slave or master cylinder is bypassing requiring replacement ( im doing a lancer now and the slave cylinders on the backside of the clutch mounted to the bellhousing very ugly gearbox out job but if yours is like a lux it'll be like a 5 min job)

if its a cable operated clutch, How much pedal freeplay is there? There should only be about 25mm to 35mm freeplay from memory on a hiace if this is excessive the adjustment is usally down at the gearbox end but bring the freeplay back into specs and u should be on a winner

the only other thing i can think of is when u pulled the linkages of the box to get the box out were they put back on were they came of if not the gear lever has ran outa range and is hitting the stoppers

thanks to all the replys guy

when the car is stationary or off

and i move the gearstick back and forth side to side very lightly, theres alot of play

gearstick moves alot in neutral which i find very weird compared to all the cars i've owned and driven before

i had my brother move the stick in neutral whilst i was under the car.

anyone have any clues here?

if so to make things easier, i will take a video and upload it so your guys can justify

ken

sounds like the rose joints on the end of the shifter shafts are flogged out my bro's did the same u can fiix it properly by goin to ya local bearing joint and gettin new ones or u can do what i did and thats get the bolt 90 degrees to the other section and then put a small tack weld on them to hold them solid then i just readjusted the linkages to operate rite bit of mucken around but worth it