22inch rims on a Kluger

holmesie

Looks cool, but can you imagine pulling too close to the gutter one day and cheese-grating those rims? :o

Also, Im no expert, but wouldnt it mess up the speedo? Not to mention the comfort of your ride?

If the rolling diameter of the wheel & tyre is the same as the stock, then the speedo won't be affected (as the rim size goes up, the tyre sidewall height should go down). But YES it would ride significantly differently I would think!!! :blink:

I have 22's on my Kluger with 285/35-22's

It's 0.8 % of speedo.

It bit firmer ride but not uncomfortable. More stable in corners and sharper steering.

Car on photo has 265/35-22 which are bit to narrow for that size of rim making them easy to gutter damage.

Would love to see some pics of your wheels CroToy if you have any :)

this weekend i will zap few..................

BTW nice to see another ex-Subbie person driving Kluger !

Edited by CroToy

Gotta say its not my cup of tea, but biggest reason is greater inertia of all that weight located as its centroid is further out from the center and thus consume power to accelerate and more force to stop.

I thought 19's were big :blink: i must be old :unsure::lol:

You would get more ground clearance though :clap:

Looks cool, but can you imagine pulling too close to the gutter one day and cheese-grating those rims? :o

Also, Im no expert, but wouldnt it mess up the speedo? Not to mention the comfort of your ride?

Might actually make the speedo read correctly. Every Mark II Kluger reads about 5km/hr too high.

I've had a firendly discussion with the dealer about that... will be bringing my GPS with me for the next service. Don't expect much though.

Might actually make the speedo read correctly. Every Mark II Kluger reads about 5km/hr too high.

22" will lose handling, less power on wheel, and lost the ability to run over kerb. :huh:

I don't even want to upgrade my RX-8 to 19" for the road. RICE will tell you similar I'm sure ;) . I want to downgrade to a 17" for racing if the brake disc allows.

I looks OKish... certainly different. <_<

But I will not sacrifice handling for it, particularly we don't have much to start with. :mellow:

I went on 22's mostly for bling B) B) .

I'm not planing making Kluger faster on better handling....................went thou 2 WRX's and spend enough money to make them faster and better handling.

I've had a firendly discussion with the dealer about that... will be bringing my GPS with me for the next service. Don't expect much though.

They are set to show 5-6 km too high.

Any dealer knows that.They dont need GPS.They can use IT (Inteligent Tester) which will show them accurate speed.

I tested mine and it was 5 km off ( IT vs gauge)

Gotta say its not my cup of tea, but biggest reason is greater inertia of all that weight located as its centroid is further out from the center and thus consume power to accelerate and more force to stop.

I thought 19's were big :blink: i must be old :unsure::lol:

You would get more ground clearance though :clap:

As i had 19's,20's and 22's i can say tthat you can feel difference in weight of different wheels.

My 20's were 3,5kg heavier (each) than stocks and there more effort needed for stopping...........same for acceleration.

22's are just 1 kg heavier (Enkei's) than stockies (incl.tyres) and both braking and accelerating is pretty much same as with stockies.

There is no win-win situation in this game.............as i have 20 Klugers in my work shed i can say there is difference in performance between models.

Best acceleration..........KXR AWD

Best handling KXS AWD.

2WD are too "boaty",AWD's handle much better.

Any dealer knows that.They dont need GPS.They can use IT (Inteligent Tester) which will show them accurate speed.

Why would they set them high delibrately? That doesn't make sense to me.

Not my cup of tea getting larger rims with lower profile tyre, not for an semi-offroader anyway. They look good, but defeating the purpose of the car unless its stricly tarmac use.

Thats why I bought the car to have the ability to go off road if required.

I wouldnt want the extra concern of damaging the rims by going off road or going over gutters, pot holes, rocks etc.

Will stiull try... once again - no high hopes there.

Is there a error margin set - e.g %%% or just km/ph?

Not my cup of tea getting larger rims with lower profile tyre, not for an semi-offroader anyway. They look good, but defeating the purpose of the car unless its stricly tarmac use.

Thats why I bought the car to have the ability to go off road if required.

I wouldnt want the extra concern of damaging the rims by going off road or going over gutters, pot holes, rocks etc.

You are right but with all honesty 90 % of Kluger buyers will newer go off road (Kernel or Stockton beach should not be counted as off road).

Personally i had not had any issues on sandy beach with 22's,and if i planned using car for off road i would not get Kluger.

But, in case i decide to go off road it takes 10 minutes to swap back to stockies.

BTW i would not count Kluger as soft off roader.........even Toyota calls it People mower...........and 60% sold are FWD.

IMO Subaru Forester is more off roader than Kluger..........

Edited by CroToy

It does make sense...........all vehicles built 2005 and after MUST have margin..............ask RTA for details :blink:

It does make sense...........all vehicles built 2005 and after MUST have margin..............ask RTA for details :blink:

Ok, I found some information about this. It makes sense from Toyota's point of view.

http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/speedos.html

Current Australian design rules (ADR) for cars built after July 2006 for speedos allow NO under-reading and over-reading of 10%+4km/hr. This means for a vehicle travelling at a true speed of 100km/hr, the speedo should read anywhere between 100-114km/hr. Vehicles built before this date had a +/-10% allowable error meaning the speedo could display 90-110km/hr for the same true speed.

So, I can now see why Toyota would set the speedo to over-read. The speedometer still has some error margin from manufacturer of up to +/-10% but most likely alot less, let's say +/-5%, so Toyota must set speedo to over-read by that error in order to comply with ADR.

It just grates on my nerve that the speedometer is delibrately set to over-read. But this is becasue I'm an Instrument Fitter by trade and have been calibrating electronic and mechanical instrumentation for over 20 years.

Has anyone verified if their odometer is out by the same margin as the speedo?

ECU if programed by Factory to register accurate speed but to display more on speedo.

Odo IS accurate............checked few times on M4........also checked with Toyota IT.

Edited by CroToy

Best most accurate speed measurement device on the planet earth V's Toyota getting gay with kids speedo out put display

klugrice7vq9.jpg

Edited by RICE RACING