How do you remove factory audio unit?

JIN

Hi guys.

It seems like many ppl have done on their stereo system in this forum so I need some info about removing

the factory head unit cos I am going to install DVD player and speakers this sunday.

I think I have to take the whole centre trim off first and I got some pics of centre trim from DJKOR's posts.

How about the Audio unit? Anyone has pictures of changing it?

Any tips would be appriciated. :D

Hi guys.

It seems like many ppl have done on their stereo system in this forum so I need some info about removing

the factory head unit cos I am going to install DVD player and speakers this sunday.

I think I have to take the whole centre trim off first and I got some pics of centre trim from DJKOR's posts.

How about the Audio unit? Anyone has pictures of changing it?

Any tips would be appriciated. :D

You know what... give me about 15 minutes and I will take some photos for you. The process is so easy (plus I've taken that apart so many times) that I am willing to take mine out for you.

Okay, the guide is a bit rough, but it demonstrates the key points. Tools needed are a flat blade screwdriver and a 10mm socket or spanner. If your hands and fingers are small like mine, you only will need the shifter.

1) Firstly put the shifter into neutral and open the centre console box:

dsc02665tr7.th.jpg

2) Then you need to unclip the top section of the centre trim. You can use the screwdriver to pry it apart, or your fingers:

dsc02666f.th.jpg

3) Unplug the two connectors that I have circled in red:

dsc02670.th.jpg

4) Go to the front of the trim and using your fingers, pull back and away from the A/C controls to release the clips. Repeat for the other side:

dsc02667pl5.th.jpg

5) Unplug the cigarette lighter power connector as circled in red:

dsc02671bb4.th.jpg

6) About 1 inch in, insert the screwdriver (or other flat object), and pull away from the dash horizontally until the clip pops out. Repeat on the other side:

dsc02672xi9.th.jpg

7) Pull the whole clock/vent assembly forward to release the remaining clips. Gripping the unit as shown seems to be the easiest way:

dsc02677fm3.th.jpg

8) Unplug the lower connector for the hazard light switch. You may unplug the clock connector as well, but remember that it will reset if you do so:

dsc02678vd5.th.jpg

9) If you just unplug the hazard light switch, you can place the unit on the dash as shown:

dsc02679xv5.th.jpg

10) Remove the two bolts at the top of the unit circled in red:

dsc02680ov2.th.jpg

[image limit reached - continued below]

• Like 1

11) Remove the two bolts on the underside of the unit circled in red:

dsc02685bh0.th.jpg

12) With one hand on the top of the head unit and one hand at the bottom of the A/C controls, pull forward to release the clips. Unit comes out as shown:

dsc02686ol1.th.jpg

That's really all you need to know. Unplugging the unit at the back is a no-brainer (I didn't go that far because I have settings I don't want to lose at the moment). Then if you need to remove the head unit from the A/C controls, just undo the screws on the side of the head unit.

Just reverse everything to put it all back together.

Edit: Might be my connection but, my last photo isn't displaying. Here is a direct link.

Edited by DJKOR
  • Like 1

11) Remove the two bolts on the underside of the unit circled in red:

dsc02685bh0.th.jpg

12) With one hand on the top of the head unit and one hand at the bottom of the A/C controls, pull forward to release the clips. Unit comes out as shown:

dsc02686ol1.th.jpg

That's really all you need to know. Unplugging the unit at the back is a no-brainer (I didn't go that far because I have settings I don't want to lose at the moment). Then if you need to remove the head unit from the A/C controls, just undo the screws on the side of the head unit.

Just reverse everything to put it all back together.

OMG...

YOU ARE THE MAN!! :yahoo:

This is exactly what I wanted.

Thank you very much DJKOR!

It really helps me alot!! My both Thumbs up!!

No worries. Glad to help whenever I can. I have managed to get that whole procedure down to an art now that pulling it apart doesn't seem like any effort at all. Kinda scary when you have the thought that someone can completely remove your stereo in under 1.5 minutes... which is how long I can take it out if I absolutely had to. So lets count up the times I've performed that procedure:

1) When I first got the car to cover the bright LED's in the stock head unit.

2) To test to see how the steering wheel controls interact with the stock head unit.

3) To install the new head unit.

4) To remove the transit screws on the new head unit. I tested the unit before reassembling the console, but failed to try the DVD until it was reassembled.

5) To plug in the reverse camera and TV antenna which I chose to install a few days after installing the head unit itself.

6) To try to see if removing power for an hour would solve the problem I had about a month ago.

7) To unplug the unit overnight to see if that would help.

8) To try unplugging the unit again overnight the following day.

9) To take those photos I've posted above.

And this is for removing everything all the way to the head unit. I have removed the centre trim (photos 2-5) about the same amount of times in addition to that listed above because just about every time, I reassemble everything and forget to plug cable in for the A/C controls.

No worries. Glad to help whenever I can. I have managed to get that whole procedure down to an art now that pulling it apart doesn't seem like any effort at all. Kinda scary when you have the thought that someone can completely remove your stereo in under 1.5 minutes... which is how long I can take it out if I absolutely had to. So lets count up the times I've performed that procedure:

1) When I first got the car to cover the bright LED's in the stock head unit.

2) To test to see how the steering wheel controls interact with the stock head unit.

3) To install the new head unit.

4) To remove the transit screws on the new head unit. I tested the unit before reassembling the console, but failed to try the DVD until it was reassembled.

5) To plug in the reverse camera and TV antenna which I chose to install a few days after installing the head unit itself.

6) To try to see if removing power for an hour would solve the problem I had about a month ago.

7) To unplug the unit overnight to see if that would help.

8) To try unplugging the unit again overnight the following day.

9) To take those photos I've posted above.

And this is for removing everything all the way to the head unit. I have removed the centre trim (photos 2-5) about the same amount of times in addition to that listed above because just about every time, I reassemble everything and forget to plug cable in for the A/C controls.

Wow...You've done that so many times!

Of course it should be easy for you haha.

I have put my front and rear bumper like 3 or 4 times and I still remember how to do it.

Always, the first time is the hardest moment I guess cos we have no idea how to do it on first try.

BTW, I think you can put those instruction and pictures in new thread as 'howto', so one of the moderator can pin it.

I think that would help alot more people who would like to install their own Audio system.

Also, I could have a look at it when I forget how to do it too. :)

Once again, I really appriciate for your help. :rolleyes:

someone seriously has too much time on their hands :P

Sure do. LOL. The flexibility of being a student and working part-time I guess. All my week is concentrated around Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Gives me lots of time during the week to lounge around and recover enough to survive another long weekend of fun.

someone seriously has too much time on their hands :P

Sure do. LOL. The flexibility of being a student and working part-time I guess. All my week is concentrated around Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Gives me lots of time during the week to lounge around and recover enough to survive another long weekend of fun.

sounds like ur a DJ of some sort?

DJKOR, do u think we can swap the AC controller with the one that has lcd and electronic controlled like on prodigy or the other version of aurion?

I imagine that it would plug straight in, however there could be a minor issue. The electronic climate control utilises both a separate control circuit for the dual zone separation, as well as a temperature sensor mounted to the right of the steering wheel. I would say that you definitely need to have that temperature sensor (which isn't present on the models without the climate control) otherwise it would not be able to set the temperature. More than likely, the display will just give an error code/flash due to its self-diagnostics, and not work.

Should you manage to install a temperature sensor, the unit may work while disregarding the lacking dual zone components, however the whole error code thing may still get in the way, preventing it from working.

sounds like ur a DJ of some sort?

Nah, I wish though. I love music but lack the creativity to create it and/or mix it. DJKOR just forms my name; Daryl Jon KORvemaa.

• 1 year later...

Hey..Another revival of an old thread...

So I just had my free time to learn new things and try to diy the reverse camera...

So far I've gone to removin the head unit.. Thanks to DJKor and Aurion_ZR6..

However, I'm stuck with DJ's step 10&11, removin the 4 bolts around the unit..

What kind of device do I use.. There are no angle to unscrew those...

it's alrite to leave things as they are right?... I haven't put things back together coz the mod isn't finished...

However, I'm stuck with DJ's step 10&11, removin the 4 bolts around the unit..

What kind of device do I use.. There are no angle to unscrew those...

A 10mm socket with a 6 inch extension piece does the trick.

it's alrite to leave things as they are right?... I haven't put things back together coz the mod isn't finished...

No need to put it all back if you don't want to yet. It will just look empty.

Maybe this should be pinned. Probably not the last time this will be asked.

Good work :clap:

It's in the FAQ. Hopefully people will refer to that before they ask.

• 3 months later...
Okay, the guide is a bit rough, but it demonstrates the key points. Tools needed are a flat blade screwdriver and a 10mm socket or spanner. If your hands and fingers are small like mine, you only will need the shifter.

1) Firstly put the shifter into neutral and open the centre console box:

dsc02665tr7.th.jpg

2) Then you need to unclip the top section of the centre trim. You can use the screwdriver to pry it apart, or your fingers:

dsc02666f.th.jpg

dsc02670.th.jpg

4) Go to the front of the trim and using your fingers, pull back and away from the A/C controls to release the clips. Repeat for the other side:

dsc02667pl5.th.jpg

5) Unplug the cigarette lighter power connector as circled in red:

dsc02671bb4.th.jpg

6) About 1 inch in, insert the screwdriver (or other flat object), and pull away from the dash horizontally until the clip pops out. Repeat on the other side:

dsc02672xi9.th.jpg

7) Pull the whole clock/vent assembly forward to release the remaining clips. Gripping the unit as shown seems to be the easiest way:

dsc02677fm3.th.jpg

8) Unplug the lower connector for the hazard light switch. You may unplug the clock connector as well, but remember that it will reset if you do so:

dsc02678vd5.th.jpg

9) If you just unplug the hazard light switch, you can place the unit on the dash as shown:

dsc02679xv5.th.jpg

10) Remove the two bolts at the top of the unit circled in red:

dsc02680ov2.th.jpg

[image limit reached - continued below]

In item 3 - unplug the 2 circled connectors - what are these for & is it essential that they be disconnected?

dsc02670.th.jpg

In item 3 - unplug the 2 circled connectors - what are these for & is it essential that they be disconnected?

These are for the rear power outlet socket and the gear selector illumination. You don't have to unplug them, but you are only making the procedure more difficult for yourself because unplugging them allows you to remove the trim entirely and put it to the side giving you more room to work with.

dsc02670.th.jpg

These are for the rear power outlet socket and the gear selector illumination. You don't have to unplug them, but you are only making the procedure more difficult for yourself because unplugging them allows you to remove the trim entirely and put it to the side giving you more room to work with.

Thanks, that what I needed to know.

DJKOR , what did you do to lessen the brightness of the centre console lcd's ?

Were you happy with the result ?

From what I have read on the net , a combination of a too bright centre console and sub standard low beam driving lights seem like a HUGE oversight by Toyota.

What happens when you are driving out in the country (low ambient light conditions) and you need both your headlights to be working well and your night vision not to be affected by too much interior light ?

Ive heard that many SAAB's have a function where you can switch off most of the interior console lights etc other than the essentials like the speedo and tacho for when cruising at night ... kinda makes sense really.

IF I get around to buying a first generation Aurion or a second generation , this issue could very well be the deal breaker , or I would have to go about doing something to lessen the brightness.

This is partly to do with my experience with the aftermarket Pioneer head unit in my Camry.

The head unit is backlit with a very bright light blue/light purple light and cannot be dimmed.

It took me a few months to get used to it , even in city driving.

Often if Im driving on the freeway and there are no road lights , I will flip the face of the head unit down so that I my night vision is not affected by the glare.

Out in the country in particular, you want to be able to see way ahead of you , to avoid hitting something like a kangaroo etc.

I saw a headlight comparison a while ago (in some motoring magazine I think) where the Aurions headlights were rated at close to last in a list of about 20 cars , and some of these were not expensive cars.

Did Toyota engineers ever bother to drive these cars at night ???

DJKOR , what did you do to lessen the brightness of the centre console lcd's ?

Were you happy with the result ?

I took the head unit fascia off (have to remove the head unit first), then surprisingly I used some paper sandwiched between the LED's and the perspex dispersion plate thing. It dimmed it a little, but enough to work for me because my eyesight is not too bad at the moment (I'm good with light).

Didn't have the head unit for long though before it was replaced.

• 2 months later...

^ Thanks for pointing that out, but if you look closely, you will find that the Camry dash is assembled differently and individual pieces come apart rather than the complete centre console like the Aurion.