Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

Okay everyone. After a lot of discussion on fuel consumption. I have decided to start a thread where you can post your close-to-life figures of your average fuel consumption. I'm sure many of us are a bit skeptical as to whether the trip computer on the Aurion provides a half decent average fuel consumption figure. So for those that want to track their average fuel consumption, start collecting your petrol receipts and post your results here.

The more receipts you collect, the more accurate average figure you can obtain. For those that need to know how to calculate the average litres per 100km, you simply divide the total litres used, by the total distance travelled, then multiply it by 100 [ (litres/km)x100 ]. I have attached a spreadsheet of my calculations if you want to have a look. I try to make my calculation as accurate as possible, so when I record my final odometer reading, it would have been after travelling 70-90km after my fuel gauge says empty and my 'Cruising Range' on the dash says 0km. Doing a calculation shortly after the cruising range says 0km shouldn't throw your calculations off by much however.

Excel spreadsheet (Aurion.xls) of fuel consumption calculations.

So here are my calculations so far:

- At 4010km, my total fuel used was 417.14L and my average fuel consumption was 10.4L/100km

- At 8385km, my total fuel used was 907.83L and my average fuel consumption was 10.8L/100km

- At 12781km, my total fuel used was 1420.46L and my average fuel consumption was 11.1L/100km

- At 15716km, by total fuel used was 1772.86L and my average fuel consumption was 11.28L/100km

My fuel consumption appears to be getting higher and higher. The thing is, the places that I go and conditions I drive in haven't really changed much. I do see myself putting my foot down more often, so that may be the major contributing factor to all this extra fuel consumption. Though, looking at my trends, I have been using ULP 91 more and more in the periods where my average consumption increases (bad student budgeting), though I'm not too sure how much of a difference that can make. But I guess the purpose of this was to get an average figure since conditions will always change.

I will also add as well that about 80% of the time I have been driving this car, it has only been just me in it. I drive almost always with both front windows down fully, putting them to about half way when on the highway. The air conditioner is used only once a week (well so far until summer hits) just to keep everything in order. The oil I am running is Fuchs Titan GTO 10W30 fully synthetic.

My aurion runs about 7000km from 6000km since I bought it(so it's 1,3000km now).

I always use unleaded 91 from caltex and it runs about 9~9.5KM/L from 90% of city driving.

I've been calculating the consumption manually by calculating running distance and amount of filling up, and it's pretty same as what digital meter says.

Personally, it is really satisfiable because it still gives me average of 9~9.5km/l although I accelate hard sometimes and doing 90% of city driving.

• Like 1

I will also add as well that about 80% of the time I have been driving this car, it has only been just me in it. I drive almost always with both front windows down fully, putting them to about half way when on the highway. The air conditioner is used only once a week (well so far until summer hits) just to keep everything in order. The oil I am running is Fuchs Titan GTO 10W30 fully synthetic.

Once you go over about 60 - 70 klms/ hr , having the windows down WILL affect your fuel economy due to extra wind drag and it is actually more economical to run your air conditioner at that sort of speed.

...Unless you want everyone to be listening to the music you're playing in your car.

Once you go over about 60 - 70 klms/ hr , having the windows down WILL affect your fuel economy due to extra wind drag and it is actually more economical to run your air conditioner at that sort of speed.

...Unless you want everyone to be listening to the music you're playing in your car.

Hence why I mentioned it to explain the conditions around my fuel consumption. I've been driving like that since I got the car (and even while I had my Camry), so that isn't really a good explanation for my gradual increase in fuel consumption. I an well award of the effects of drag and that at higher speed, the A/C would be more efficient. I just can't help it though. A large majority of the time I prefer fresh wind through the window rather than from the A/C vents.

You may find that part of the increase in fuel consumption may also be the ECU tuning itself to change gears, VVTi, fuel ratio etc. to your driving habits. One of the worst things about modern cars like the Aurion is they tend to do this constantly, and over time without realising it you will be adapting to the car handling... and what once seemed like lead-footed driving - may now seem like granny driving lol

You may also find that as the engine wears in, fuel economy usually increases as all the parts loosen up, then gradually decreases over time as the engine starts building up carbon deposits, sensors start becoming contaminated, the catalytic converter starts gradually blocking up, air and fuel filters start blocking up etc., with the net result being a decrease in economy.

I had the same thing happen on mine. Started off with like 10.xx L/100k or less in city driving when the car was new... now it's closer to 12L/100k in straight city driving. But then again, it's Melbourne - we probably have one of the poorest infrastructure for roads and public transport of any developed area in the world! =P

My aurion runs about 7000km from 6000km since I bought it(so it's 1,3000km now).

I always use unleaded 91 from caltex and it runs about 9~9.5KM/L from 90% of city driving.

I've been calculating the consumption manually by calculating running distance and amount of filling up, and it's pretty same as what digital meter says.

Personally, it is really satisfiable because it still gives me average of 9~9.5km/l although I accelate hard sometimes and doing 90% of city driving.

U serious? City drive and u get below 10L?

I do city drive as well, Sydney and i got around 15L/100Km..

Im jealous , I'm driving a 1996 4cyl Carmy and with 90% city driving I get about 11.5 l / 100 klms.

:rolleyes:

Wait till u read my readings..

15L/100km..

That much effect? Never actually thought about this b4

has any of u tried to leave ur car while having ur engine on?

I tried once... For about an hour...My tank went off about 1/5 to 1/4 of full tank..

Was vry surprised... :blink:

Edited by VF-X

The only way you are going to get below 10L/100k is either because you are rolling downhill most the time (what goes down must come up though!), you have a huge tailwind constantly, travelling at 80km/h fairly consistently and not sitting stuck at lights or in traffic jams, and if the car is turned off whenever u are stopped (which actually is often shown causes more fuel usage restarting than just leaving it idle).

Even when the car is brand new in peak hour city driving you will never get that type of economy from a non-hybrid car.

U serious? City drive and u get below 10L?

I do city drive as well, Sydney and i got around 15L/100Km..

Im jealous , I'm driving a 1996 4cyl Carmy and with 90% city driving I get about 11.5 l / 100 klms.

:rolleyes:

Wait till u read my readings..

15L/100km..

Ow....I meant 9km/L. So it is going to be around 11L/100KM at least for me.:)

10L/100km for city driving?

how many reds and pesdestrians did you run over at 2am? ;)

we'll have to be more precise to compare results

"city driving" might have just became a very generic term lol

I get ~13.5L/100km driving within suburbs

(posted 6 or so calculations previously, will post another batch later on)

not much traffic

but with 90 degree turns and traffic lights...

I get ~13.5L/100km driving within suburbs

(posted 6 or so calculations previously, will post another batch later on)

not much traffic

but with 90 degree turns and traffic lights...

Around this time last year I posted the result after 6 months or so. I will put all dockets to Excel file and post more info after my holidays (I keep all dockets with odo reading because I have to supply the reading when purchasing petrol).

BH

ive had mine upto 17 litres per 100 ks as i was towing a boat waying 980 kilos traveling the length of springvale rd but on highway i can get it down to 13.2 litres per 100 ks also i think the sx6 loves towing the gear changes seem to be a heap smoother but taking through 1st 2nd and third with the foot down tractin con light stays on and it will still drag an xr 6 with the boat on

ive had mine upto 17 litres per 100 ks as i was towing a boat waying 980 kilos traveling the length of springvale rd but on highway i can get it down to 13.2 litres per 100 ks also i think the sx6 loves towing the gear changes seem to be a heap smoother but taking through 1st 2nd and third with the foot down tractin con light stays on and it will still drag an xr 6 with the boat on

lol i hope you're joking

I recently did a trip from the Gold Coast to Cairns and back with a wife, kid and car loaded to the hilt. The trip computer readings were fluctuating between 8.5L/100km and at one stage it was sitting on 8L/100km on the way back (must be because it's downhill). I had cruise control on sitting approx 2-3k's over the speed limit. I was sitting 2-3K's over as the GPS, I have been told, is more accurate than the cars speedo however every now and then I had to put the boot in to overtake some grey nomads and some 'Wicked' vans. I should have recorded the distance between tank fills, I got 660k's from top up with just under a qtr of a tank remaining but i don't pay for fuel so i didn't care.

Edited by notfromthere

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Just thought I would post some updated figures. Looks like my average fuel consumption is going up. I think the lesson this is teaching me is that I really need to take it easy with my driving. As well, I've switched to PULP 98 (preferably Vortex 98), mainly because the decrease in fuel price. Don't know if I will stick with it once the prices go up but we'll see.

As of 13/11/2008, over 18333km and 2089.2 litres, I have an average fuel consumption of 11.4l/100km.

As per normal, I have included the spreadsheet in which I keep track of it all:

Aurion Fuel Consumption (Excel Spreadsheet)

Okay. Just thought I would post some updated figures. Looks like my average fuel consumption is going up. I think the lesson this is teaching me is that I really need to take it easy with my driving. As well, I've switched to PULP 98 (preferably Vortex 98), mainly because the decrease in fuel price. Don't know if I will stick with it once the prices go up but we'll see.

As of 13/11/2008, over 18333km and 2089.2 litres, I have an average fuel consumption of 11.4l/100km.

As per normal, I have included the spreadsheet in which I keep track of it all:

I know a have a TOTALLY different car, but the difference between shifting at 4k and giving it some WOT-action and grannying my car around means ~150kms/tank of fuel for me.

Best was 680kms/45L tank (still with about 1/8th left), worst was 370kms/tank - around town, driving like an idiot and with what I suspected to be a broken O2 sensor.

...are you adding much weight with your mods?

Yeah.... with my foot.

Edit: Seriously. When I fixed up the intake, it sounded really sweet at high RPM; so you could guess where I was going a lot of the time when accelerating from a standing stop. Then when I cut out the exhaust, I realised it sounded uber sweet as it was approaching redline. Accelerating from a standing stop has never been gentle anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, time for yet another update. I really need to work on how I drive, this is starting to get out of control. As usual, my recordings can be found here:

- At 4010km, my total fuel used was 417.14L and my average fuel consumption was 10.4L/100km

- At 8385km, my total fuel used was 907.83L and my average fuel consumption was 10.8L/100km

- At 12781km, my total fuel used was 1420.46L and my average fuel consumption was 11.1L/100km

- At 15716km, my total fuel used was 1772.86L and my average fuel consumption was 11.28L/100km

- At 18333km, my total fuel used was 2089.2L and my average fuel consumption was 11.4L/100km

- At 21099km, my total fuel used was 2432.43L and my average fuel consumption was 11.53L/100km