Tacho installation help!!! plz lol

Ben^

Hi guys, i've got my first car.. A 1999 TOYOTA HILUX RZN149R Dual Cab this model car has a 3rz-fe 2.7 ltr petrol engine.

Im quite handy with car electronics i've installed spot lights, relays, head decks, neons, truck lights, show lights, etc etc i just dont kno much about engines lol.. So on the tacho i have its got the illumination wires which i kno how to wire into headlights + and - then its got tacho power + and - to wire into accessories and then its got the green wire, the signal wire, the only wire i dont kno where to wire it into lol.. I've read and tried to do some research, so far according to 1 place it should be a brown wire which will just being lieing behind the dash/speedo becuase the 99 hilux doesnt have a tacho built in so i cant tap off that, according to another website it should be white with black trace coming out of some computer which i dont kno where it would be lol.. I've taken a pic of my engine back, if sum1 could point me in the right direction as to where the wire i'll have to tap into will be it would be greatly greatly appreciated.. I kno that it could come off the negative side of the coils but i dont think the 3rz-fe engine has coils according to a apprentice machanic friend at skool cause he popped my hood and was dumb founded were to hook it up to lol..

Can u hook it up to the distrubuter?? sum1 said thats where u can hook it up but sum1 else told me thats not accurate.. I'm really lost on this one guys.. Sorry for alot of reading but i really want this tacho in so i can teach my gf how to drive manual with the engine revs showing lol..

Cheers guys, Ben..

2mw796o.jpg

PS. can u just repost this image with a circle around the where the wire will be in paint or something lol cheers guys,

Hi guys, i've got my first car.. A 1999 TOYOTA HILUX RZN149R Dual Cab this model car has a 3rz-fe 2.7 ltr petrol engine.

Im quite handy with car electronics i've installed spot lights, relays, head decks, neons, truck lights, show lights, etc etc i just dont kno much about engines lol.. So on the tacho i have its got the illumination wires which i kno how to wire into headlights + and - then its got tacho power + and - to wire into accessories and then its got the green wire, the signal wire, the only wire i dont kno where to wire it into lol.. I've read and tried to do some research, so far according to 1 place it should be a brown wire which will just being lieing behind the dash/speedo becuase the 99 hilux doesnt have a tacho built in so i cant tap off that, according to another website it should be white with black trace coming out of some computer which i dont kno where it would be lol.. I've taken a pic of my engine back, if sum1 could point me in the right direction as to where the wire i'll have to tap into will be it would be greatly greatly appreciated.. I kno that it could come off the negative side of the coils but i dont think the 3rz-fe engine has coils according to a apprentice machanic friend at skool cause he popped my hood and was dumb founded were to hook it up to lol..

Can u hook it up to the distrubuter?? sum1 said thats where u can hook it up but sum1 else told me thats not accurate.. I'm really lost on this one guys.. Sorry for alot of reading but i really want this tacho in so i can teach my gf how to drive manual with the engine revs showing lol..

Cheers guys, Ben..

2mw796o.jpg

PS. can u just repost this image with a circle around the where the wire will be in paint or something lol cheers guys,

Easiest place to tap the signal is from the IG- terminal in the black diagnostics box bolted to the front side of your intake plenum, with "Diagnostics" stamped on the cap :P

The IG- wire is the diagnostics tacho feed, for connecting a test tachometer or digital multimeter with tach function etc. You can either use a spade terminal pushed into the IG- socket, or strip back the loom tube leading to the diags box and splice into the black wire which goes to the IG- terminal.

Thanks mate, i'll give that a go and let u kno if i work it out lol..

Ive actually burnt my leg pretty bad and am bed bound for a few weeks so i i'll give it a go when i can lol..

Cheers mate and thanks alot for your help, greatly appreciated.. :)

-Ben

• 8 years later...
On 15/10/2008 at 1:16 PM, CHA54 said:

Easiest place to tap the signal is from the IG- terminal in the black diagnostics box bolted to the front side of your intake plenum, with "Diagnostics" stamped on the cap :P

The IG- wire is the diagnostics tacho feed, for connecting a test tachometer or digital multimeter with tach function etc. You can either use a spade terminal pushed into the IG- socket, or strip back the loom tube leading to the diags box and splice into the black wire which goes to the IG- terminal.

Can you please show us a pic how u have connected the wire.

Cheers

See the photo below and follow the instructions above, you will need to strip back the tape on the loom at the base the access the wiring.

If you don't feel comfortable attempting this, seek a professional(auto elec) to carry out the task. The ignition coil produces much higher voltages than the other system circuits of the vehicle.

2mw796o.jpg.080c43224ef889746a05198e3bd07268.jpg

Hey trent

I've been through the loom an hooked up to the green an white wire, but the signal on the tacho seems to not be right. Need help here.

Can u please show we a pic of your engine an how exactly you did the wiring. 

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Wizz said:

Can u please show we a pic of your engine an how exactly you did the wiring. 

I don't own a petrol Hilux and I no longer have the same ignition system in the vehicle that I added the tachometer to. So a photo is not possible. It would be easier for you to provide detailed photos of what you are doing exactly. Including the lower and upper side with the cap open.

All Toyotas with that diagnostic port should be exactly the same in terms of how you wire up the tachometer signal, providing you are splicing the correct wire and setting the tachometer to the 4 cylinder setting.

Actually, do you even have an IG- terminal on the diagnostic check connector?

I only just noticed that it appears that the engine in the picture runs a dual coil pack(DIS) setup, not a distributor and single coil.

You may require tachometer a signal driver, something like MSD or Autometer make.

• 9 months later...