OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

Well, I must say, having been on this forum for around 5 years, the number of topics covered has not really increased at all. It still revolves around CAI and CES Exhausts. (oops, did I mention the taboo word?)

Here is what happens when you have a couple of fairly knowledgeable blokes and equip them with a shed, some backyard tools, a spare motor and some metal!

The motor of choice here for those of you not used to seeing it out in its naked state, is the 1ZZ-FE, I personally think it’s a under rated motor, as it is cheap to get and can still be fun while remaining predictable and economical!

I’ll let the photos do most of the talking and I’m sure the ‘quiet’ oldies would know where we’re heading with this, as for the chirpy NOOBS out there fire your questions here and who knows, you might learn something a bit more than just CAI

Laser cut 10mm alloy from our own CAD drawings

project00.jpg

First stage: 1.75" runners with custom die pressed ends to meet oval shape at the ports

project01.jpg

Notice the runners are made to match the angle of the ports so they are straight direct entry

project02.jpg

project03.jpg

Flat flange is a bit boring and for the sake of simplicity, backyard tools were used to create a fillet on the ports with a 12mm radius. Yes, it is a wood router.

project04.jpg

In action...

project05.jpg

end result:

project06.jpg

project07.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning up and a polish to get it all nice a smooth... but I think that's enough for today!

I will keep everyone posted as we make some progress! :)

Edited by Pippy
  • Like 1

arrrgh!! the use of that router makes me cringe haha. looks like a very clean job, i take it you got the alloy laser cut elsewhere? do you guys have a lot of workshop experience? personally i would have TIG welded it together but only because i love the look of a nice clean perfect weld LOL very nice but!! post more pictures up as you make more!!

by lookin at it im guessing you used a stick welder but do correct me if im wrong!!

Edited by greg05rolla

still waiting to see if u can get ur puppy down into the 12's :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Getting competive even before the product is finished Bill .... :yahoo:

LOL

All da way Pippy!

arrrgh!! the use of that router makes me cringe haha. looks like a very clean job, i take it you got the alloy laser cut elsewhere? do you guys have a lot of workshop experience? personally i would have TIG welded it together but only because i love the look of a nice clean perfect weld LOL very nice but!! post more pictures up as you make more!!

by lookin at it im guessing you used a stick welder but do correct me if im wrong!!

Greg, you need to clean up your post, if you use quote reply and not clean up the photos, the size of the thread is gonna get out of hand!!

To answer some or questions:

-What?! What's wrong with a router? it is much quicker than strapping it down on a mill and if you have worked with alloy, it is as soft and as easy to work with as wood.

- Yes, the alloy was laser cut elsewhere.

- Workshop experience? Would a shed count as a workshop? DIY all the way buddy. :)

- I don't know where you're looking to get the idea that the alloy was stick welded (unless by stick you mean a stick of tungsten and plenty of argon gas) and you're right you would have it TIG welded as we have done right there.

still waiting to see if u can get ur puppy down into the 12's :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Give me a break bill, i only just started! :) but yes, would be nice if i can get anywhere near 12s.

are we going to see quads on this, or is it just a custom plenum, cause i want trumpets

Quads would be cool, but i don't think i'd try it with this project. Maybe when I run out of things to do hey. :) Brilliant idea tho. As rollamods have suggested, the 20V quads line up.

Edited by Pippy

Well, I must say, having been on this forum for around 5 years, the number of topics covered has not really increased at all. It still revolves around CAI and CES Exhausts. (oops, did I mention the taboo word?)

Here is what happens when you have a couple of fairly knowledgeable blokes and equip them with a shed, some backyard tools, a spare motor and some metal!

The motor of choice here for those of you not used to seeing it out in its naked state, is the 1ZZ-FE, I personally think it’s a under rated motor, as it is cheap to get and can still be fun while remaining predictable and economical!

I’ll let the photos do most of the talking and I’m sure the ‘quiet’ oldies would know where we’re heading with this, as for the chirpy NOOBS out there fire your questions here and who knows, you might learn something a bit more than just CAI

Laser cut 10mm alloy from our own CAD drawings

First stage: 1.75" runners with custom die pressed ends to meet oval shape at the ports

Notice the runners are made to match the angle of the ports so they are straight direct entry

Flat flange is a bit boring and for the sake of simplicity, backyard tools were used to create a fillet on the ports with a 12mm radius. Yes, it is a wood router.

In action...

end result:

Needs a bit of cleaning up and a polish to get it all nice a smooth... but I think that's enough for today!

I will keep everyone posted as we make some progress! :)

so crazy.. whats quads?

Edited by xoom

so crazy.. whats quads?

Individual throttle bodies. In this case since it is a 4 cylinder engine there will be 4(quad) throttle bodies.

Could u explain for those less mechanically minded (such as myself lol) what your actually doin? trying to achieve?

I'm not part of this R&D, however it would be safe to assume PP are replacing the stock intake manifold for something that can flow more air. I'm assuming they will be adding a tank onto the front of it to mount a larger throttle body.

Also, can a mod go through a delete the picture quotes?

ah the router, ive done a fair bit of work in workshops and manufacturing so sort of safety conscious! seen some wicked injuries from using the wrong tool. i love making things like this!! if only i had the money, time and plans to do something like this!! BTW i cleaned up my previous post! sorry! haha keep up the posting on this project im very interested to see how it goes!!

Here is the mock up of the plennum. We used 5" donuts for the curves.

project08.jpg

From another angle, still showing the 'trumpets'

project09.jpg

Now trimmed and side plates welded in

project10.jpg

Another angle...

project11.jpg

Edited by Pippy

a few questions, have u ported the inlet? will u be doing any head work, raise compression, cam work? just wana know how serious this is. one last thing, might sound stupid but have u done your measurements? (is it gona fit under the bonnet) lol

Give me a break bill, i only just started! :) but yes, would be nice if i can get anywhere near 12s.

mate if its not pulling 12's im gonna be seriously disappointed in Purcell Performances workmanship ...... at which point you then come and speak to us at kebab performance and we'll sort it out for u :whistling: :whistling: :whistling::lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :P :P :P