Hilux electical problems, indicators tailights

Kyle_NMD

My 1996 Hilux ute 2x4 has an annoying little electical problem.

First of all everything works light wise, apart from the brake lights this is the problem. I put my foot on the brake and the left indicator lights up, if the indicator is already on it stops flashing. It does this for the whole left side of the car.

It had a new tray put on it a while ago but the mechanic assures me it was all working, and he's a decent bloke I've known him a while.

I noticed that the earth wire going from the negative terminal on the battery wasn't connected so I stuck that back together and then electical taped it nice and tight. then the Earth wire on the tray ontop of the tail light was connected to a nut that was rusted so I cut it and then stuck it behind another nut that goes onto the chassis so it's not on the alloy tray. But its still not working!!!

I need this ute for getting to work, and school so any help would be greatly apreciated, if not I'll take it to an auto electrician and get them to fix it.

Serriously any suggestions would be greatly aprectiated.

Edited by Kyle_NMD

sounds like a wee little earth problem to me

has it done it since the tray was done or after time.

pull the taillights off and get a test light and check and make sure each wire is hooked up to the correct terminal for the correct light eg reen/red to right indicator from memery but check on a diagram.

if tailights are of the bayonet style globe i'd ***** them of and get some led's even cheap ones are better than the other crapthen all u gotta do is change your flasher unit to a low voltage or "led flasher'' to slow down the flash rate due to the lights needing less voltage to run.

stewy

• 5 years later...

Hi there,

see if the holders are swapped by mistake so you maybe don't have the right lights in position.

Also check some globes maybe faulty start changing one by one.

Is that helps!

Hi there,

see if the holders are swapped by mistake so you maybe don't have the right lights in position.

Also check some globes maybe faulty start changing one by one.

Is that helps!

3465722-pointless.jpg
  • Like 1