Coilover Try out.

JIN

OK, here we go.

From the long and big amount of research on coilovers for my aurion, I finally decided to get a set of BC racing (Not Buddy Club) coilover.

I checked alot of threads on many coilover brands regarding on quality & price.

My first thought was K-sport coilover but there is no direct supplier in Australia which means more middle man + higher price.

The average price I got quoted from many suppliers was around $1800.

And then, I found the fact that D2, G4 and K-sport are all same just different labels and paint on them.

In addition, I found alot of negative feedbacks from those brands(no offence for anyone having them) and they all have same common problems that 1. the ride is being too bumpy, 2. noise from the mount top or somewhere else and 3. the Lifespan is noticeably short(normally leaking problem).

There are some outstanding brands which are Tein, Cusco or DMS but they are really expensive, for instance, DMS hits the 3k~4k mark and they are way out of my budget..

Of course they mostly have good feedbacks especially on tracks, but I am not going to tracks anyway and the reason I am after the coilover is I cannot lower my car without changing whole tyres because I have 35 profile tyres cause scrubbing..

I found BC racing coilover and they are getting quite good feedbacks on normal street use. Not too bumpy as D2 or G4 and reliable qulity(because they use thicker tube??).

Furthermore, the price is quite cheap comparing with D2 or K-sport and after sale service is impressive from forums based in the States.

Well, I am trying out a set of Camry 2007 with 8kg/front and 6kg/rear.

The kit is being shipped today or tomorrow so I might get it delivered next Tue or Weds.

I hope the kit is perfect fit onto aurion without any problems and it would slove my tyres scrubbing in lowering, so we can have another alternative option for lowering.

I will keep updating it.

Well it's good to hear someone got the guts to purchase a setup. Definitely keep us posted on the result. I also want to hear how it affects the ride quality.

Ive had a few brands of coilovers over the years

K sports, Zeals, D2's and a few friends have had Teins & buddyclubs

Honestly the k sports are quite good for the money, they arent the same as D2's im sure, they D2's werent much chop

Zeals were the best for ride quality but at the same time the worst for noise, i think i had a particulary bad set, i hated them

they had extremely noisy tops

the K sports are reasonably quiet, a little firm but they are adjustable and can go very low

Teins super sports are good value for money

Buddyclubs are similar to tein ss's , good quality & reasonable pricing but i believe will allow you to go lower

id go for the N+ racing dampers :)

Edited by Pumped

Honestly the k sports are quite good for the money, they arent the same as D2's im sure, they D2's werent much chop

Zeals were the best for ride quality but at the same time the worst for noise, i think i had a particulary bad set, i hated them

they had extremely noisy tops

the K sports are reasonably quiet, a little firm but they are adjustable and can go very low

Teins super sports are good value for money

Based on my research, D2, G4 and K-sport, all of their products are from same factory. Just different logo stickers and different colour paint.

I actually tried to figure out the overall qulity and price because some ppl have no problem with particular model but some ppl always do on the same kit.

Also, I was searching the Tein SS one but camry 2007 kit wasn't available (it was in development)at that time. It is now available only from Thailand Tein supplier but the price of BASIC kit is 48000 Baht (just kit itself) which is about AUD$2100. I am really sure SS would cost alot more than that.

Camry 2007+ SS kit is still under development from the Tein USA web site.

I'm thinking about saving for some Tein SS's - but 6kg front / 4kg rear?

Still a fair way down the track though so i dunno.

For the BC racing coilover, the factory spring rate was 6/KG for both front and rear.

I upgraded the front to 8kg because Aurion is heavier than camry. IMO, 6kg/front and 4kg/rear is too soft for track use, and it really sounds like street use only.

I've seen many ppl complaining that Tein is kinda soft shockies for track use.

I really doubt cheap coilover kits work fine on tracks although many ppl having leaking or noise problems from everyday street use.

Here are my result of researching(Fully subjective based on my research, so no offence)

Under AUD$2000

-D2

-G4

-K-sport

-ISC

-Megan(?)

-NEX

-HSD

Lots of complains and problems known from D2,G4 and K-sport from the internet. Maybe they supply big amount of their products?

I couldn't find much feedbacks on NEX, and ISC.

Interestingly, for BC racing, many of their customers are satisfied with their product. I could find couple of noise problems tho.

HSD has quite good reputation with their products but nothing for camry or aurion 2007 tho.

AUD$2000~$3000

-Cusco

-Tein

-Buddy club

-KONI

AUD$3000+

-DMS

why not get some custom coilovers made?

i know in brisbane, we've got this place called Fulcrum (dunno if its a national chain) that can make custom coilovers for a pretty reasonable price...

a mate got a set for his 74 lancer made up and he told them that he wants it for drag racing, so they made the rebound/etc suit the needs... ;)

i did some study on the k-sport long ago, u can get it for around 1.5k(some guy in perth), but ride quality from what i heard, isnt tat good, tat's why i stayed with pedders..

I know a few years ago there was a place on the gold coast who did air bags, for around 2500 bucks. Dont know if they are still there though.

There's an airrunner airbag kit in USA, but as you'd imagine...quite $$$ & then there's shipping costs...

AirRunner - 2006 Camry

Unsure if Left hand drive & Right hand drive cause a problem. A guy in QLD 'INDOMI' (on Toyota Nation) has this kit on his Camry.

I remember INDOMI is the local stockist here in Australia for AirRunner. Don't know if that would mean any savings or not though.

i once wanted coilovers too for the height.......but now thinking about it you cant go any lower than normal springs like kings and pedders

1. because my car is illigal with them on now, from the lowest pont at the back of may car is 90mm and at the front is now 101mm so therefore if your getting them for the height ur goin to be voiding warranty etc.

2. people with pedders are having scrubbing problems with 20 with those spring what makes you think coilovers wont scrub if your goin to be the same height or lower? unless u put a sh|t load of camber on them, then u heave the problem of less traction when accelerating

3. my car is getting a fair few rattle through it now since my springs have gone in cos there so stiff, id hate to emagine the ride of coilovers

thats just my view but good on you for being brave enough to be the 1st one and im really interested to hear the result ;)

Edited by eSEXSIX

I finally got the set delivered today and they look fine and solid.

Here are some pics and I am now looking for a store to fit them in.

Any suggestion in western sydney area? (near Paramatta & homebush?)

Also, how much normally would that cost to fit them in and wheel alignment?

1. because my car is illigal with them on now, from the lowest pont at the back of may car is 90mm and at the front is now 101mm so therefore if your getting them for the height ur goin to be voiding warranty etc.

2. people with pedders are having scrubbing problems with 20 with those spring what makes you think coilovers wont scrub if your goin to be the same height or lower? unless u put a sh|t load of camber on them, then u heave the problem of less traction when accelerating

3. my car is getting a fair few rattle through it now since my springs have gone in cos there so stiff, id hate to emagine the ride of coilovers

thats just my view but good on you for being brave enough to be the 1st one and im really interested to hear the result ;)

IMO, either you change the springs or the whole suspensions to coilover will void warranty on suspension in both ways.

If there's something wrong with my car, then I will put the original suspensions back into my car but the point is I don't go to Toyota for servicing anymore.

My warranty ends July in this year but I don't like how they charge me on servicing.

Also, the reason why I am getting the coilover is because of the scrubbing.

I have 20" with 35 profile tyres and there's no doubt they will scrub if I just change the springs with 35 profile tyres.

It seemed like I have to spend same amount money on either changing whole tyres or suspension upgrade.

BTW, I am not going for super low on my car, just lower it a bit to make the look fine.

28012009606.jpg

28012009607.jpg

28012009609.jpg

28012009611.jpg

Mmmm. Those do look quite nice. Keep us posted eh.

IMO, either you change the springs or the whole suspensions to coilover will void warranty on suspension in both ways.

If there's something wrong with my car, then I will put the original suspensions back into my car but the point is I don't go to Toyota for servicing anymore.

My warranty ends July in this year but I don't like how they charge me on servicing.

eSEXSIX wasn't just referring to the warranty, but the legalities of it as well. I'm not sure about you, but any lower then 100mm for us in QLD and it is an illegal modification. But things like that don't stop a lot of us.

Finally, I fitted them in today and they work fantastic.

I brought my car into garage for fitting and they charged me $200.

I am really satisfied with the result of coilovers because I was a bit worried about the chassis type and the stiffness of coilovers.

Firstly, the coilovers I bought were for camry 2006+ which is ACV40 in chassis and aurions is GSV40 if I am right.

I know they use same chassis but was a bit worried of mis-match in suspension settings.

However, everything went well during the installation and everything was perfect fit for bolt on installation.

Secondly, the stiffness.

I set 10 clicks from the softest for front damping and 5 clicks for rear.

I just feel like it's nearly same as the factory sportivo suspensions.

The ride height is as the pic and there is no scrubbing at all in any conditions.

It's ok for now but I will go a bit lower when I feel like later on.

Here are some pics.

31012009613.jpg

31012009616.jpg

31012009615.jpg

31012009617.jpg

31012009618.jpg

31012009619.jpg

Looking Good! Hows the handling now compared to the stock suspension?

Also, just wondering, where did you order/buy your BC coil overs from?

and does this mean as long as the coilovers (regardless of the brand) are suited for the 2007+ Camrys they will fit without a problem in our aurions?

Mmmm. Now the temptation really kicks in. Good effort with trying them out for the others here. I will add you to the FAQ.

That would be great to help other people as a reference to get coilovers..

Looking Good! Hows the handling now compared to the stock suspension?

Also, just wondering, where did you order/buy your BC coil overs from?

and does this mean as long as the coilovers (regardless of the brand) are suited for the 2007+ Camrys they will fit without a problem in our aurions?

Thanks mate. Comparing the stock suspension, I could say that there's a huge difference in rolling matter.

I can feel the major rolling is gone, although they were sport suspension(toyota says).

a little bit bumpier but I think I can get it sorted out with damping setup.

As I know, the Gen6 camry and aurion share they chassis so I tired this one and BINGO.

As long as the chassis type says GSV40 or ACV40 from the coilover set, it should be fine but NOT 100% sure because I never seen any other barands except BC racing..

I brought this set from a ebay seller but at that time he didn't list any for camry 2006+ so I asked him and he could make a deal on it from the factory.

I paid total price of AUD$1285 inc shipping via paypal and he put my order directly to their factory.

I can give you his detail if you want.

looking very nice man good to see that you tried it out first ;)

Thanks mate.

I think I will try to get it lower once I have some free time.

looks really good dude! congrats on that after all the worry and hard research ;)
congrats man... looks great...

good to see that the camry is also a direct match up to the aurion... means a lot of other chassis related parts should be the same... :)

Thanks guys.

From observing the ride quality of BC racing coilover, I am really impressed so far. No noise at all from the mounts and good overall ride quality.

I was trying to set different damping setup(only front because rear seats have to be taken off for the rear setup), and I went upto 16 clicks which is middle of the setup and it was HARD.

5 Clicks from the softest would make nearly same setup as the factory stivo suspension. I went back to 10 clicks from the softest setup tho.

I have to get wheel alignment done on monday and will think about getting it lower and camber adjustment as well.

Your ride is sitting really well dude. How much more lower are you going to go.

How low can you go with them. If you go really low will they bottom out, and if you go really low do you have to remove the inside plastic on the guards.

Anyways, looking sweet as.

Your ride is sitting really well dude. How much more lower are you going to go.

How low can you go with them. If you go really low will they bottom out, and if you go really low do you have to remove the inside plastic on the guards.

Anyways, looking sweet as.

Thanks bro.

To be honest, I really have no idea how low it can go more since I have 35 profile tyres.

It's just ok for now.

The mechanic who fitted them in said it seems like the wheels could go under the fender with a bit of camber adjustment without any issues.

but who knows before try it in real life?

I may try 2 or 3 weeks later once all the suspensions are working fine without any problems like leaking etc.

Here are pics of half(?) turning angle.

31012009628.jpg

31012009626.jpg

Edited by JIN