windscreen washer

crownfan

hi

first post here.

I have a 2002 Camry alteva.Its always parked in the open and subsequently because of this as I have been told by Toyota dust and dirt blocks the filter for the windscreen washer.

I can not go from one serviving to another without a blocked washer.no water comes out to wash the windscreen.

Is this common or is something uniquely wrong with my Camry?

Anyway its a great forum.

Toyotas are a much unappreciated car

I didn't even think it had a filter. At least, I don't see why one would be necessary.

In any case, I had a problem with the spray being partially blocked which was solved with a high pressure water gun.

Another time the plumbing from the tank came loose. Check just under the hood where the heat-proof mat is for a little rubber tube, make sure it's connected to another tube that goes under the mat to the nozzles on the bonnet.

can you hear the wiper washer motor running? if not the motors prob no good i the older toyotas they always die my AE93 killed one and my AE82's is on the way out , if it is blocked it won't take much to fix it , and if toyota are telling you it's got a filter i reckon they are full of ***** - it's windscreen washer not a fuel supply for an engine

thanks

the motor does run, little comes out on both holes

I might take , no I will take it to another dealer workshop to see what they do

the one in Nunawading were the first one, I will try the one in Glen Waverley to see what happens

Edited by crownfan

I have a similar problem with my Gen5.5 as well, it's parked in a multi level apartment car park which I guess is half open since you can't excatly close the "windows". I hardly have a use for the washer as I try to keep my car clean with a monthly washing schedule, but whenever I have a use for it, it always seemed to be blocked. Each time I take it for a service they'll unblock it for me... then in a few months time when I need to use it again because some bird decides my windscreen is their toliet... it's blocked again!!!

Now I just carry a spare bottle of water in the boot for these occassions.

the washer nozzles are fine in my 2005 camry sportivo, never had any problems with blockages. occassionally when i polish the car, i may get a bit of polish inside accidentally. but that is easily fixed with a paper clip

Maybe the word "filter" was mis-heard, was supposed to be "fitting", ie the jet itself, which as stated above is easy to get blocked. The only place I'd imagine a filter would be would be inside the pump itself, but if it is I seriously doubt it's a renewable item (never seen or heard it mentioned before)

Do you add any detergent solution to the water in the washer bottle? If so could it be drying in the nozzles and then blocking them? Sounds unlikely. But I’ve never had any trouble with my Gen 5.

the one in Nunawading were the first one, I will try the one in Glen Waverley to see what happens

I would avoid Nunawading Toyota.

I had my timing belt replaced and the belt cover was not refitted correctly after the changeover. The bottom of the cover was unclipped and was flapping as the car drove.

I took it back to have the problem fixed, only for them to have the car for an hour and come back and tell me they did a quick check on the air filter cover. I corrected them, telling them to take it back to the workshop, get underneath and check the bottom of the timing belt cover - they told me there is no cover in Camrys.

When I told them I worked for a rival car maker, their attitude changed and the car was looked over again and "fixed". As I later found out, the cover was not refitted properly so my own mechanic did the work free of charge.

Edited by JMacca53