6th gear success

Graham & Cathy

Did a trip to York Peninsula her in S.Aust yesterday, about 250kms , switched on cruise control at 110kms/hr and it sat on 2000rpm , waited and waited but no shift into 6th, terrain was flat and no head wind , fuel tanks were 3/4 full and 2 people ,engel with emergency supplies ( snags and Coopers pale ale , only just found room for the snags ).

I thought " whats the point of 6th if it wont click in ", so tried a different approach .

I left the cruise control on but wound the speed up to 120kms and after a few seconds !!! WOW revs dropped as it slid into No 6, then slowly eased back to 110kms/hr and the convertor locked on . It was a happy motor at 1650RPM at 110kms/hr.

once that was achieved we found that even when it shifted back to 5th for road levell variations it still shifted back into 6th witout the need to reach 120 klicks again.

Fantastic trip and the same thing happened on way home .

The only thing we did notice was it wasn.t vey happy in hilly terrain with constantly shifting out of 6th so we switched off cruse control until the terrain was flat and then reset the 6th at 120kms/hr , then all way home to the lower speed zone it sat in 6th gear for about 90kms.

Cheers Graham & Cathy

• 1 month later...
Did a trip to York Peninsula her in S.Aust yesterday, about 250kms , switched on cruise control at 110kms/hr and it sat on 2000rpm , waited and waited but no shift into 6th, terrain was flat and no head wind , fuel tanks were 3/4 full and 2 people ,engel with emergency supplies ( snags and Coopers pale ale , only just found room for the snags ).

I thought " whats the point of 6th if it wont click in ", so tried a different approach .

I left the cruise control on but wound the speed up to 120kms and after a few seconds !!! WOW revs dropped as it slid into No 6, then slowly eased back to 110kms/hr and the convertor locked on . It was a happy motor at 1650RPM at 110kms/hr.

once that was achieved we found that even when it shifted back to 5th for road levell variations it still shifted back into 6th witout the need to reach 120 klicks again.

The only thing we did notice was it wasn.t vey happy in hilly terrain with constantly shifting out of 6th so we switched off cruse control until the terrain was flat and then reset the 6th at 120kms/hr , then all way home to the lower speed zone it sat in 6th gear for about 90kms.

Cheers Graham & Cathy

Further 6 gear comment

I have a 220 series diesel with ~2800km. I find I can get 6th gear to engage at just over 100kph by slightly accerating to ~103 the backing off quite heavily. This drops the box into top. I then just feather the throttle and it happinly run at1500rpm (100kph). Admittedly too much acceleration will force a change back. I do the same in cruise control no probelm.

White LC2

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Graham & Cathy

I'd highly recommend speaking to your local Toyota dealer and having the 6h gear ECU modification installed.

Drops in to sixth gear much earlier and holds a lot longer.

I'd highly recommend speaking to your local Toyota dealer and having the 6h gear ECU modification installed.

Drops in to sixth gear much earlier and holds a lot longer.

Hi Richo.

Can you elaborate on the "6th gear ECU modification" please.

I have asked Toyota a number of times (although not for at least 6 months), and all they did was say it was within spec.

Do you have any details so I can ask again.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
the ecu mods are out nowfor the 200 series auto just go to your local dealer and ask for the update it changes the ratios and holds much better insted of hunting for gears

I had the mod done 9th Oct 2009 , works great once you get used to using S mode.

6th selects at 100kmh and torque converter locks at a little under 110kmh and does seem to hold in under light lods ok,

Just returned home from a 4mth trip over the eastern states with a fuel return of 6.5kms per litre, sounds heavey BUT I was towing a 3,2 tonne caravan most of the time , and with a 180 litre long range tank fitted ( total of 270ltrs fuel ), I am pleased with consumption figures , they are bette than my manual 100 turbo.

oil consumption was a non event as changed it at 5000 kms intervals.

I used S mode in 4 speed setting.

Cheers Graham & Cathy