power fc -> zze123r

Which power fc did u use? MR-S?

Will this wiring kit work on the 1zz motor with no ABS?

I'm using the ZZT231 Celica PowerFC.

I'll be moving onto the 1zz in due time; the ABS won't be an issue. For the 1zz the MR-S PowerFC will be used.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity. I am currently looking at the OBDCII for the sportivo.

To tune the PFC correctly you need to have the datalogit and a couple of other pieces of hardware which seem quite damn expensive.

Does the OBDCII not have knock sensors etc in it. If so, running a copy of centrafuse on a computer that is connected to a dvd head deck, you would be able to find out all of this information. And there may even be software out there already tat will log your information over a period.

I have been looking into this for a while as I have been wanting to know every little detail on how the car is performing in regards to air/fue ratio's etc. OBDCII lets you into that?

*Just thinking...This could be a cheaper option, plus the added benefit of a decent stereo :P and GPS for $50 etc anything u can think of as a usb dongle.

Viable?

once you remove your stock ECU, you no longer have any obdII functionality.

Do the power FC's have their own OBDCII? Or do they have a serial communcations device behind it so it can pass information through?? have been reverse engineering computer ***** for a few years now and I've always loved saving $$$ :P

The one thing is I was always told it's basically useless tuning your car unless you have a Dyno to get real power readings from.

once you remove your stock ECU, you no longer have any obdII functionality.

Do the power FC's have their own OBDCII? Or do they have a serial communcations device behind it so it can pass information through?? have been reverse engineering computer ***** for a few years now and I've always loved saving $$$ :P

The one thing is I was always told it's basically useless tuning your car unless you have a Dyno to get real power readings from.

PowerFC's do not have OBDII. They stream data serially upon request, but no knock control or active ignition advance/retard like a stock ECU. The most they can do is flash the check engine light if it hits the knock threashold set in the powerfc. You can use the powerfc hand controller for monitoring engine data but that's about all it's good for really. You'd have to have rocks in your head to try and tune a powerfc with the hand controller.

For logging etc, most serious PFC users need to buy a laptop interface, the most popular is the FC Datalogit: http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/

As mentioned before, a wideband o2 sensor/controller is also an essential component (IMO), you use the 0-5V output from the controller to interface with the datalogit box for tuning purposes.

One of the better PFC tuners in Brisbane I know charges ~$700 for a complete tune of a new powerfc. Less if it only needs a tidy-up of a previously tuned map.

When I install powerfc's (or any aftermarket ECU), I also install an innovate LC-1 or WBo2 2C0 wideband kit, this allows road tuning of ~75% of the map, then only an hour or two so is required on the dyno to sort out the very top end of the map and timing for max torque through the midrange. The best method for this is to shoot for what's known as minimum timing for maximum torque, you'll find that the maximum torque timing values are a couple of degree's before the onset of knock aswell. Some nice examples of this on mainline's site.

Choose your tuner first and ensure they're confident of achieving your goals, any aftermarket ECU is only as good as the person tuning it. It's also really easy to pop an engine with a poorly tuned PFC (or any other standalone ECU)

PowerFC group buy.. anyone? :lol:

hmm K ruds money :spiteful: so as im a noob at ecu gear.. what will we need to get it up and running, and how $$ all up

for the most basic install, you'll need one of Dave's adapters, the powerfc and someone to tune it to your engine.

PowerFC's are ~$1100 from Nengun at the moment, Dave's adapters are $480-600, tuning is $400-2000 depending on where you go and how good they are. Keep in mind most tuners charge an hourly rate for tuning, so if you dont nail it the first time, you're up for more $$$ each time you need things changed. Also, beware of tuners who lock the maps after tuning, to me this is a ploy to ensure you are stuck going back to the same tuner if you need any adjustments done, if it's locked and you want to go to another tuner, your new tuner will have to wipe the locked maps and start from scratch if your old tuner doesn't cough up the password.

Out of curiosity, is there any difference between the facelift and prefacelift ecus?

ie the harnesses would be same on both correct?

Out of curiosity, is there any difference between the facelift and prefacelift ecus?

ie the harnesses would be same on both correct?

The are identical as far as I am aware. My BB harness worked fine on both Dave's Pre-Facelift and my Facelift.

Get some details off your stock ECU, part number etc and see if it matches up.

Took some pictures of my ECU. Can someone confirm it is identical to the Australian version?

post-1107-1241254122_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1241254149_thumb.jpg

I have two ready to go. One with the temp sensor function and one without. The temp sensor function can be added easily later on, or I can add it before shipping.

I'll add finished product photos tonight. Below is a photo before the connectors were added.

DDR_Harness50pc.jpg

• 2 months later...