CAI/SRI buyers guide

Are these illegal?

Law states in nsw anyway, that you cant have a pod filter open in the engine bay ie not in a box...but most of the cai have the pod filter above the fog light which is technically the bumper not the engine bay, so theoretically no not illegal :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I'm going to check out what my mate can get from Simota etc... but does anybody know of any existing kits to suit a 95 Corolla CSX (pretty sure its a 7A-FE engine as its 1.8L - could be wrong, not up on my toyotas :P), or if essentially there is any difference between some of the other kits out there? I can vouch for CES as many people I know have them and they sound awesome, and also for Simota as I have a simota CAI in my civic and it sounds as good as a CES Custom job on a toyota...

Cheers...

Edited by Stewbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

SIMOTA TWIN CHARGER CAI is also one you can look at. it sounds crazy and performance improvement is very noticeable. Available at Shift Performance near Liverpool on the Hume Highway. $299. Specifically made for the facelift stivos' fitting issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Any facelift ZRE's (MY10-11) with the single unit for the MAF sensor and airbox been able to fit a CAI in yet?

Also, are there any places that would make a custom CAI (in Melbourne specifically) and fit for you? or would it be best to stick with premade ones (i.e. Injen, Simota etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

just looking to buy an Injen RD2082P for my 05 sportivo.

has anyone installed this part before and if so how did it go?

also do bumpers and batteries and other major parts of the car and engine bay need to be removed before the cai can be installed???

Thanks

If its for a Corolla XRS or Matrix with a 2zz then its fine.

It makes it a hell of alot easier to remove battery and bumper trust me.

ok, my first post - not sure what the flog i clicked...

looking at getting the rd208, it says its for 'corolla s' and in the instruction manual says that 'for the xrs model' remove such and such. im wondering if anyone has done an install with this on a prefacelift stivo, thought id ask first because its one long piece rather than 2 like the cai for the matrix xrs. does it go in just the same, or is there issues for fitting this to the australian model?

cheers...

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, I read through ALL the posts that people have put up and I'm a little confused on what "I" should be buying, I don't really want to spend alot on my car, just a couple of hundred and that's it. My question is;

I drive a 04' Corolla Sportivo and am looking for a Cold Air Intake kit, just want to know what would be the best to buy keeping everything under $300, I live in QLD too so I believe i don't need some fire proof box. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-SLYLE

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to getting a CAI for my 03 ascent. I have seen several on eBay US but I don't know whether or not they'd fit. I even asked the sellers and they don't know themselves as they only know American models.

Can someone help guide me in the direction please?

I know that CES do a CAI for the 1zz so I think that would fit my ascent.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this bit on Injen website.

25. Is it OK to change my filter to another brand or type?

25. It is possible to fit another brand of filter onto an Injen intake system, but by doing so you will be altering your intake system and voiding the CARB status. During testing, Injen test each filter design for type of vehicle and making sure that the filter will work in conjunction with the factory ECU and settings. By changing filter designs or brands, it is quite possible that you will get an engine check light and or sacrifice horsepower. We do not recommend changing the filter from what originally supplied with the air intake system. In addition, all of our SP and

PF series use MR Technology which means they are specifically tuned to your vehicles OEM Air/Fuel ratio's. Changing any component may significantly alter the Air/Fuel ratio's, void your warranty and possible damage your engine.

Is that true? have you experienced similar problem? I remember reading a thread somewhere about getting the CEL after installing an Injen CAI.

• 2 weeks later...

P_T >> What you mean by CEL ?

i have an injen CAI in my cabbie..

part number RD2076.

made the car sound demonic !!

feels good just to hear it :)

CEL is check engine light.

My question was about the filter, not really the CAI itself. Injen says if you change the filter, you might get some problems with the engine as I quoted and underlined above.

just wanted to know if anyone has gotten a custom made cai from liverpool exhaust,

if so how is it

if you want one with dyno'd results, that gained more power over the TRD CAI, get one from CES Racing! well worth the money

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i purchased the injen intake CAI for my sportivo. Just wandering if anyone has ever had any problems with water entering the intake? should i be worried? the filter is behind the front bumper so it could easily come into contact with water???

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i purchased the injen intake CAI for my sportivo. Just wandering if anyone has ever had any problems with water entering the intake? should i be worried? the filter is behind the front bumper so it could easily come into contact with water???

Thats where all injen CAIs for the corolla have the pod sitting. Just tape up any gaps or holes around the area behind the front bumper and wheel guards and you'll be fine. Thats what I did with mine and no problems here with water, even when I was the car with high pressure hose.

poor guy probably waiting for the reply and already hydrolocked his engine :(

huey, not zre its the zze sportivo :)

anyways, for the zze there isnt a worry to get water onto the pod. even if it does, a splash here and there wont do any damage, unless u r stupid enough to drive it through a puddle which flows ABOVE the fog light.

poor guy probably waiting for the reply and already hydrolocked his engine :(

huey, not zre its the zze sportivo :)

anyways, for the zze there isnt a worry to get water onto the pod. even if it does, a splash here and there wont do any damage, unless u r stupid enough to drive it through a puddle which flows ABOVE the fog light.

yeah I know it was the zze he was referring to (as mentioned in his post and going by his username lol), but what I meant is that regardless of zre/zze, that for the corolla I'm pretty sure the pod for the injen sits behind the bumper/in front of the wheel guards where teh foggies are.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys looking to get cai for my 2002 corolla levin 1.8ltr. Any suggestions on what the best performance one is for around the $200 dollar mark ?? price a bit flexible.

Cheers

Shane

Personally I prefer Injen. It's what I use and what most of the other people I know use and it's been good. I've heard AEM isn't bad but never tried it. What's important is the piping diameter (larger diameter = sacrifice low end for top end power, opposite applies for a smaller diameter) and the pod you use (don't expect awesome flow from supercrap auto pods).

Cold air intake or Short ram intake, it's up to what you're willing to sacrifice. Short ram intake, due to the length of the pipe, air reaches the engine a lot faster, meaning faster throttle response. Downside is a lack of torque (?) and since the pod is sitting in the engine bay, hot, less dense air is being sucked into the engine which will cause you to lose power.

A cold air intake is pretty much the opposite. With the much longer pipe design, you would be sacrificing throttle response. Despite that, the longer pipe design would increase torque (?) and since the pod would be sitting out of the engine bay (under the headlight or above the foglight somewhere), colder, more oxygen-concentrated air would be sucked into the engine, giving more power over a stock intake.

Please correct me if I've said anything wrong :)

Im struggling to find any good places in sydney that sell CAI's. If anyone knows anything i dont know please help a brother out. Looked on ebay 99% are from the us and ill be fked if i am going to spend $100 on postage.

Cheers

Shane

Im struggling to find any good places in sydney that sell CAI's. If anyone knows anything i dont know please help a brother out. Looked on ebay 99% are from the us and ill be fked if i am going to spend $100 on postage.

Cheers

Shane

GIve these guys a call:

http://www.autoxcel.com.au/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=0861bb9be16a76d01f35e9f86130cfd4