2GR-FE VVT-i Oil Line Replacement

DJKOR

Toyota has finally acknowledged this problem! The have started a "Limited Service Campaign" in the US to fix this VVT-i hose problem. The bad news is the LSC only covers 2005-2006 Avalons and 2006 RAV4's. This could change--according to the LSC: "Toyota is currently investigating how this condition may affect other Toyota and Lexus vehicles."

This LSC document is available for downloading here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0p4z5a

The other bad news is that Toyota went cheap with this fix--only the rubber line and 2 clamps are replaced!

This info seems familiar ...

So according to the above (and looking at my 2009 vehicle):

You can see this part without having to remove anything.

After the end of 2008 - Tube only, with no hose. NO ACTION REQUIRED.

Before the end of 2008 (yellow line on hose) - only vehicles with the improved hose. NO ACTION REQUIRED.

Before the end of 2008 (NO yellow line on hose) - vehicles that MAY have an affected hose. Read below.

So if your car has the hose with no yellow line, its possible (and unlikely) for this to occur. But, as I mentioned above, I would suggest not buying the part and installing it yourself just yet (due to the frequent use of co**** language). If you wait a little while, all will become clear.

Check here:

hoselocation.jpg

Tube only design from a 2009 model:

2009tube.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did my 75,000km servicing at Southside Toyota today and they changed the 2GRFE VVT-I Oil Feed Hose for me... Nice..

Out of curiosity; to the all-metal one, or the 'revised' rubber/metal version?

Just did my 75,000km servicing at Southside Toyota today and they changed the 2GRFE VVT-I Oil Feed Hose for me... Nice..

Out of curiosity; to the all-metal one, or the 'revised' rubber/metal version?

Daryl, they told me its the "revised" rubber/metal version ... no luck with the all-metal one.. but i didn't even tell them about the Oil Feed Hose and they changed it for me.. couldn't complain.. :D

just lucky went to toyota to get new trans computer ordered and they told me there was a recall on the oil hose. and this recall was only recent, so will get this fixed at the same time. I wonder if I had not come in before warranty runs out would they have told me? <_<

just lucky went to toyota to get new trans computer ordered and they told me there was a recall on the oil hose. and this recall was only recent, so will get this fixed at the same time. I wonder if I had not come in before warranty runs out would they have told me? <_<

YES, when you start receiving customer letters it will explain that if your vehicle is affected you will have a certain amount of time to have this done free of charge. So for people who havn't had it done, check that Toyota has your current address registered for such things.

All dealers were informed of the activity during the week, so there is no longer any need to go throught the difficult process DJKOR went through. As the dealer is only replacing the hose, it greatly simplifies the process of replacing with new parts.

Anyone who receives a letter, please scan and post (without personal details).

Edited by 450HP/tonne

Im just wondering since this is a Recall does that mean even though ive ran out of warranty that they will still replace the line free of charge? Also does anyone know when the recall was issued?

Lil Bird

Dealers already have the notification, effective as of earlier this week. It's not technically a recall, but rather a customer satisfaction exercise.

Irrespective of your warranty being up, I would expect that if your vehicle has been identified as having the issue, the repair will be carried out free of charge. Phone your dealer to confirm.

When you ring, be sure to have your vehicle details at hand (VIN or engine number and production month should all help). You will get an answer nice and quick ... They can probably even order the part from your call and book in the installation.

Guys, one thing Toyota is really good on is, recall stuff. It's likely that if your vehicle was one of the affected cars and your Warrenty had run out Toyota would still replace these parts for free. A good example of this is the Clock spring recall on the Hilux's even if your car had no warrenty left Toyota was still replacing this part. So stress less, you would of been informed one way or another if your car was in the affected batch and the problem would of been fixed regardless of the state of your Warrenty. :)

Guys, one thing Toyota is really good on is, recall stuff. It's likely that if your vehicle was one of the affected cars and your Warrenty had run out Toyota would still replace these parts for free. ... So stress less, you would of been informed one way or another if your car was in the affected batch and the problem would of been fixed regardless of the state of your Warrenty. :)

Unfortunately try telling that to some of the guys in the States that had their hose rupture before Toyota were to even touch it.

Just got this replaced under warranty at my 60k service.

I did write it down and mention it to the service booking lady but when I dropped off the car and picked it up the service guys said they would do/did it under warranty as though I didnt ask them to. So I'm not sure if me saying I want it checked made them do it or they are doing it for all 2GR-FE cars coming in for service.

"Unfortunately try telling that to some of the guys in the States that had their hose rupture before Toyota were to even touch it."

Lol yeah true, true ok so its something TMCA is pretty goo with then.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Aurion go back in for a leaky boot again (thats another story though) but I noticed on my job sheet that the VVT-i Oil Line was replaced under Recall Warranty. It has stuff to do with Recall codes etc on my job sheet, recall date of 9/11/09 and parts came in stock on 1/12/09. So they only just started a 'recall' now?

Either way mines done now which I'm happy about. I wouldnt have been suprised if the hose were to rupture sooner thanks to my 'more than spirited' driving style.

I just arranged a service for my Aurion due to the Intermediary Spline issue, as I have that exact "thud" feeling in the steering that just suddenly appeared as I pulled out of a petrol station a few weeks ago.

I asked them about the oil line, and they said there is now an official recall for it from Toyota. When I asked about it though, they said Toyota has identified a fault in the rubber of the old hose - but Toyota will only be replacing it with yet ANOTHER rubber hose. I'd rather have one less part to go wrong than to risk it rupturing in 5 yrs time...

Is it really too much to ask for a fully metal pipe, given the entire pipe doesn't need to flex at all?

do you want the drivetrain removed from your car to fit the pipe?

Rubber hose of the appropriate spec is more than adequate in that location, should get at least 10 years out if it before it starts to degrade.

Toyota use rubber hose on oil cooling systems with double spring clamps etc, right next to exhaust headers, they only seem to leak after 15 years.

It also wouldn't suprise me if the change to a single metal hose was also a cost reduction excercise for toyota. Costs them a lot less to manufacture a single piece compared to manufacturing and stocking the 2 metal pipes, hose and clamps.

Edited by CHA54

Is there an official site I can go to to view this recall? I have trouble with mechanics. I bet when I get my Aurion and I ask "have you heard about recall on Aurions for the oil-line" I'll probably then get a blank face back.

nothing here: http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.ph...omItemId/952855

Edited by unique

Guys just over a week ago had my prodicy in for it's 901,000k service. When I arrived at the service reception they said they were doing the scheduled service and that they were replacing the opil line UNDER A TOYOTA upgrade whatever, no charge of course. Added an extra hour to ther service time. IF YOU TAKE YOUR VEHICL;ES TO YOUR TOYOTA SERVICE DEPARTMENT, THEY SHOULD BE UP FOR DOING IT AS PART OF A RECALL. :D :D

I just got a letter in the mail today from Toyota explaining the VVTi actuator oil pipe on the left hand rear cylinder bank may develop a leak and i should contact my local dealership to get the hose replaced free of charge.

There is no mention of a recall, they call it a "Customer Service Exercise"

WooHoo!! no getting my hands dirty.

It's not classified as a recall.

So there, Toyota are now sending out letters advising of the recall !!!!!!!!

Letters advising of the recall? Did you read the post above yours:

I just got a
letter in the mail today from Toyota
explaining the VVTi actuator oil pipe on the left hand rear cylinder bank may develop a leak and i should contact my local dealership to get the hose replaced free of charge.

There is
no mention of a recall
, they call it a "
Customer Service Exercise
"

I just got a letter in the mail today from Toyota explaining the VVTi actuator oil pipe on the left hand rear cylinder bank may develop a leak and i should contact my local dealership to get the hose replaced free of charge.

There is no mention of a recall, they call it a "Customer Service Exercise"

WooHoo!! no getting my hands dirty.

my letter just arrived today, a week and a half after I got it fixed, talk about "snail mail" lol