Ultra Racing Strut Braces

Tofuboi

So as most of you know I purchased all the Aurion Ultra Racing strut braces. That is the rear sway bar, and the upper and lower strut braces. DJKOR has only the rear sway and upper brace.

Here's the fun part.

INSTALLATION:

Upper Strut Brace was easy. Once I had a torque wrench powerful enough to undo the "holy crap these are glued on tight" bolts from the strut towers on the front. I installed the brace and reapplied the nuts on the towers. This alone I noticed a small improvement on the front end stability. The car wasn't really leaning into the corner as such it was getting more flat.

The next weekend I took the car to a mates and we had a crack at installing the rear sway bar and the front lower brace. The rear sway bar was a bit of a issue as the exhaust mountings kept getting in the way... I didnt do this part as well, I couldn't get under the car even knowing it was jacked up. Plus we didnt really take the wheels off which made more fun. :P But we got there in the end and gave it a test run with just that installed and the front upper brace, we had a knocking sound from the rear drivers side. Aha! We forgot to tighten one of the bolts! Once we did that it was all sweet and onto the next part...

The Lower Front Brace..... *queue demonic evil music here*

This brace was the biggest pain in the rear end ever! We got the entire car up on stands and shuffled underneath. We eventually got the two front nuts off where we needed so we could attach the front part of the brace, but the other two points were further back and were to attach to two of the longest bolts I have ever seen!!!! These bolts were nearly 50cm a peice! After finally getting them out and moving the brace into place, for some reason things just would not line up! We spent a total of four hours on this brace alone! Eventually we got it into place and the big bolts were back in where they should have been.

TESTING:

Well testing was sure fun, I have a semi-hilly road near my place where I took it for a blast! (no one really drives down it anymore, and I know why :P) The car was cornering pretty darn flat in comparison to when all of it was taken off, so there was definately an improvement! However something was amiss. I stopped the car and waited... Down went the right pedal and I took off. But wait, I'm hearing a odd scrape/vibration sound when im at full acceleration in 1st gear!

Initially I thought it was the front brace scraping on the road, but I found that out when i went over a bump I could normally travel over rather quickly, yep. It bottomed out, whoops! Forgot that the car will feel lower now because the brace sticks out like a sore thumb if you look at it from the right angle. :P Anyhow that aside, I had my car taken in to my Toyota Dealer to fix a water leakage issue (turned out to be the window seal all along, its fixed now :D) and I asked them nicely to ensure all the bits were fasted properly, they popped the car up on the hoist and low and behold. There was some white paint on the exhaust! Oh no, you gotta be kidding me? I thought to myself...

The lower brace is hitting the exhaust when the engine turns under full power, causing it to rub and vibrate against it!

THE SOLUTION:

Well DJKOR summed this up in one sentance.

"Time to get a new exhaust! :P"

Yep, looks like it! Time to get something fabricated, which means I'll probably start my exhaust experimentation again, horay for all Aurion owners! haha.

THE CONCLUSION:

Well overall I reckon this was a great buy, exhaust issue or not. Next on the list is my DBA rotors and probably some new tyres, since im still on the first set! Anyone thinking of getting the ultra racing gear, I would recommend it. :)

On a positive note, it's good to hear that they are all doing what they should be. Modding doesn't always go perfectly planned, so a little bit of adjustment may be necessary. Like I said though, hopefully you can get yourself a new exhaust setup that will be a bigger improvement... and not CEL.

I was considering the lower bar just for the sake of it, but figured I wont bother. Plus my car is going to sit 15mm lower once I get my tax return, so I don't want any scraping issues.

Just one thing though:

Upper Strut Brace was easy. Once I had a torque wrench powerful enough to undo the "holy crap these are glued on tight" bolts from the strut towers on the front.

I hope you didn't really mean a torque wrench. I wouldn't suggest using that to accurately torque up nuts and bolts again.

I did all 3 on my car in about an hour hour and a half. Me a mate a jack and 2 stands a few beers all went well. But the 4 point one is abit stuffed some how i dont see it comming off unless i cut it oops its really low :P They all feel good but havnt had a chance to really test them <_<

I hope you didn't really mean a torque wrench. I wouldn't suggest using that to accurately torque up nuts and bolts again.

Nah I didnt use a torque wrench, just took a very long time to get the nuts off haha.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

I Fitted up My Ultra racing Strut brace on Friday after taking a air gun to those effing ultra tight nuts lol, anyway i did around 650kms over the long weekend we had here so i thought I’d pop the bonnet when i got home this arvo to just make sure the nuts where still tight etc. I noticed there were a few very small patches of blue and black on my bar. Obviously the rubber that runs along the cowl and the bonnet is making light contact with the bar, has anybody else noticed this with their cars or will i need to have another crack at fitting the bar?

I Fitted up My Ultra racing Strut brace on Friday after taking a air gun to those effing ultra tight nuts lol, anyway i did around 650kms over the long weekend we had here so i thought I’d pop the bonnet when i got home this arvo to just make sure the nuts where still tight etc. I noticed there were a few very small patches of blue and black on my bar. Obviously the rubber that runs along the cowl and the bonnet is making light contact with the bar, has anybody else noticed this with their cars or will i need to have another crack at fitting the bar?

Nothing you can do really except for living with it. The clearance on the bar is off by just the slightest amount and unfortunately will rub with the bonnet in two particular spots.

I've tried putting some adhesive material between to try and reduce the rub, but it just wore through that as well.

So as most of you know I purchased all the Aurion Ultra Racing strut braces. That is the rear sway bar, and the upper and lower strut braces. DJKOR has only the rear sway and upper brace.

Here's the fun part.

INSTALLATION:

Upper Strut Brace was easy. Once I had a torque wrench powerful enough to undo the "holy crap these are glued on tight" bolts from the strut towers on the front. I installed the brace and reapplied the nuts on the towers. This alone I noticed a small improvement on the front end stability. The car wasn't really leaning into the corner as such it was getting more flat.

The next weekend I took the car to a mates and we had a crack at installing the rear sway bar and the front lower brace. The rear sway bar was a bit of a issue as the exhaust mountings kept getting in the way... I didnt do this part as well, I couldn't get under the car even knowing it was jacked up. Plus we didnt really take the wheels off which made more fun. :P But we got there in the end and gave it a test run with just that installed and the front upper brace, we had a knocking sound from the rear drivers side. Aha! We forgot to tighten one of the bolts! Once we did that it was all sweet and onto the next part...

The Lower Front Brace..... *queue demonic evil music here*

This brace was the biggest pain in the rear end ever! We got the entire car up on stands and shuffled underneath. We eventually got the two front nuts off where we needed so we could attach the front part of the brace, but the other two points were further back and were to attach to two of the longest bolts I have ever seen!!!! These bolts were nearly 50cm a peice! After finally getting them out and moving the brace into place, for some reason things just would not line up! We spent a total of four hours on this brace alone! Eventually we got it into place and the big bolts were back in where they should have been.

TESTING:

Well testing was sure fun, I have a semi-hilly road near my place where I took it for a blast! (no one really drives down it anymore, and I know why :P) The car was cornering pretty darn flat in comparison to when all of it was taken off, so there was definately an improvement! However something was amiss. I stopped the car and waited... Down went the right pedal and I took off. But wait, I'm hearing a odd scrape/vibration sound when im at full acceleration in 1st gear!

Initially I thought it was the front brace scraping on the road, but I found that out when i went over a bump I could normally travel over rather quickly, yep. It bottomed out, whoops! Forgot that the car will feel lower now because the brace sticks out like a sore thumb if you look at it from the right angle. :P Anyhow that aside, I had my car taken in to my Toyota Dealer to fix a water leakage issue (turned out to be the window seal all along, its fixed now :D) and I asked them nicely to ensure all the bits were fasted properly, they popped the car up on the hoist and low and behold. There was some white paint on the exhaust! Oh no, you gotta be kidding me? I thought to myself...

The lower brace is hitting the exhaust when the engine turns under full power, causing it to rub and vibrate against it!

THE SOLUTION:

Well DJKOR summed this up in one sentance.

"Time to get a new exhaust! :P"

Yep, looks like it! Time to get something fabricated, which means I'll probably start my exhaust experimentation again, horay for all Aurion owners! haha.

THE CONCLUSION:

Well overall I reckon this was a great buy, exhaust issue or not. Next on the list is my DBA rotors and probably some new tyres, since im still on the first set! Anyone thinking of getting the ultra racing gear, I would recommend it. :)

how much for this gear and still very interested if you are experimenting with the crush pipe.

• 1 year later...

So I'm planning on getting the front upper strut bar to compliment my UR rear sway bar. Do you think it's worth it? Would like to hear more stories about it

I had the top brace installed on my Aurion for about a week before I got the rear sway bar installed and noticed a difference. I think you'll notice more of a difference if you have something that isn't a Sportivo as the suspension setup is obviously diff between the stivo series and the atx and others.

Definately worth it in my opinion.

So I'm planning on getting the front upper strut bar to compliment my UR rear sway bar. Do you think it's worth it? Would like to hear more stories about it

I had the top brace installed on my Aurion for about a week before I got the rear sway bar installed and noticed a difference. I think you'll notice more of a difference if you have something that isn't a Sportivo as the suspension setup is obviously diff between the stivo series and the atx and others.

Definately worth it in my opinion.

Yeah, since mine has the soft suspension. After installing the rear bar the difference was decent. I can still tell the difference.

Though asking on another forum. Most people said it's useless because new cars these days the firewall is close to the front anyway...

Even with the hardened suspension on the Sportivo. I found that it still improved the setup at least 40-50% better than it was without it.

At first I thought it was the placebo effect but i can still feel today that it feels better than a mates sportivo ZR6 that doesnt have it.

Even with the hardened suspension on the Sportivo. I found that it still improved the setup at least 40-50% better than it was without it.

At first I thought it was the placebo effect but i can still feel today that it feels better than a mates sportivo ZR6 that doesnt have it.

Cheers mate. I've spoken to Kenpo through PM and he pretty much says the same thing. I think I'll order one now from eBay. :spiteful:

Woohoo, my next mod is coming up lol.

edit: by the way, what sort of difference did you feel? better turning, stiffer feel, car felt more stable, etc?

Edited by Silver-Aurion

Cheers mate. I've spoken to Kenpo through PM and he pretty much says the same thing. I think I'll order one now from eBay. :spiteful:

Woohoo, my next mod is coming up lol

Then you'll have to come past the airplane viewing area again and find me haha. :P I never thought i'd see anyone up this way. :P

Woohoo, my next mod is coming up lol

Then you'll have to come past the airplane viewing area again and find me haha. :P I never thought i'd see anyone up this way. :P

haha, man that was completely random. NEVER in my life would I have thought I would spot a TOCA member in the middle of no where :lol:

Hey Fella :)

Just do it, the front bar is a great thing and you will notice a difference for sure probably more so with the luxury spec suspension tune than other with a Stivo/TRD. You should notice less axle tramp flatter cornering and sharper turn in.

We’ve seen a real world experience of the difference these bars can make. Same road same day. there was my car with both the tower bar and anti roll bar (plus a few other things that would make a difference lower suspension bigger rubber etc) Paradigm's ZR6 which has the front bar and Scottataxi's SX6 which is stock and the difference was quite measurable on that road arrr was good fun haha

Definitely a wise choice going for the front bar as well, but in my own personal opinion, the difference is not as large as it is made out to be and your head tells you that it is.

Off topic: Damn this rain is getting annoying. I think next time we get a week of sun, I'm going to go for a Nebo run.

Would the strut bars benefit around light cornering like everyday driving?

You notice a difference when light cornering in terms that you notice there is slightly less flex in the body at the front. You mainly feel it in how your body reacts to the turn based on what you are used to.

In saying whether this really has it's benefits though, if you are driving lightly, then well... it's like saying is that energy drink useful if you are going to go for a walk in the park.

Basically, if you are going to get one bar first (or only), get the rear sway bar. If you have the money to get both, get them because they will compliment each other.