Custom Scan Gauge 2 Mount

httttt

More pics to come (once my internet is uncapped).

Over all I am happy with how it turned out, but the small imperfections in the paint due to my crappy sanding job break my heart.

I got my brother to cut the dash piece that was purchased on ebay because he thinks his a hero with that stuff.

My brother bet me $50 he would get it perfect so I wouldn't need to paint it. Needless to say he lost, and needless to say I doubt I will see the money. So I ended up buying some plastic putty and spraying it matte black.

I chose black because I was certain I could not match the silver and would prefer a totally different colour than a slightly off looking silver. I used a plastic primer under coat.

Would I do this again? Yes, but I would be much more patient during the sanding stage. Over all I probably wasted 3 hours of my life on this. Drawing the lines for cutting took me 40 minutes.

The Scan Gauge looks green during the day but at night the lights change to which ever colour you choose.

p.s. Thanks dad, I used all your hot glue. (He will never see this, but at least I told him somewhere.... It's his problem now)

post-14100-1249787058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hidden Taco

looks good taco,how do you find the scan gauge-i am looking at getting one for mine

cheers corey

Thanks!

The SGii is good. But the initial buzz about it wears off in about a month then it is ignored. But it is handy, I use to mainly for the FEC Fuel ecconomy per drive or per tank. It also comes in handy to get error codes. I would say, if you are thinking about it then go for it.

I had my SGii from my previous car, but in the Aurion I didnt want it uglying up the dash (the SG2 is kinda ugly), so I had it in my glove compartment (still plugged in tho) for about a 2 months.

Nice job there mate. Definitely a perfect place to mount it. If I got a scan gauge though, I don't think I would be able to get rid of my Aurion emblem that now resides there :lol:

If I mounted that there though, one thing I would consider is taking the Scan Gauge itself apart and paining the casing the same colour as the silver trim. Ultimate blend FTW.

I guessed it was you who bought the trim when it went up on eBay together with the other dash related pieces.

thats very neat and tidy! what was there to begin with?

would be ideal if it was colour matching with the dash, but thats a whole nother task to deal with

still a top job non the less

now just wished the SG2 was compatible with my model Corolla <_<

i've always wanted a trip computer

Nice job there mate. Definitely a perfect place to mount it. If I got a scan gauge though, I don't think I would be able to get rid of my Aurion emblem that now resides there :lol:

If I mounted that there though, one thing I would consider is taking the Scan Gauge itself apart and paining the casing the same colour as the silver trim. Ultimate blend FTW.

I guessed it was you who bought the trim when it went up on eBay together with the other dash related pieces.

Aurion badge is nice but scan guage see ya later badge any day as aurion badge has it place externally and internally is for better cosmetics that are usefull - well done mate looking very nice considering what had to be done.

I love digital read outs and monitoring things

jeff your car in comming along nicely considering you only had it for short period of time. :toast:

AUR30N

Edited by AUR30N

Aurion badge is nice but scan guage see ya later badge any day as aurion badge has it place externally and internally is for better cosmetics that are usefull - well done mate looking very nice considering what had to be done.

I was joking. Did you not see the " :lol: " at the end of my statement?

Besides, if I did put a ScanGauge inside my car as 'cosmetics that are useful', I would be mounting it with a BlendMount since it will truly be useful and safer to glance at while driving.

Similar to this:

TACOMAFRONT.jpg

Either that, or on top of the steering column.

I like.....how much? :D

How much? :blink: It was DIY so ummmm.

~$20 for the plastic dash section (I wanted to have one spare incase I Fd it up)

$10 putty

$10 primer

$10 spray paint

Geeez, now that I mention it, it was kinda expensive... But then again I still have a lot of the putty, primer and paint left.

jeff your car in comming along nicely considering you only had it for short period of time. :toast:

Cheers

Besides, if I did put a ScanGauge inside my car as 'cosmetics that are useful', I would be mounting it with a BlendMount since it will truly be useful and safer to glance at while driving.

Similar to this:

TACOMAFRONT.jpg

Either that, or on top of the steering column.

I considered this, but to be honest the SGii is one ugly mother and I didnt want it to ugly up my dash like in my previous car.

I use my SGii purely as a trip computer with the added benefit of scanning for error codes. So there is no need for it to be in a safe driving position. Things like the AVG speed per tank or MAX RPM this trip are fun stats that you tend to look at while stationary.

I wouldnt suggest a SGii if anyone is looking for a "performance" gauge. I would suggest the more expensive alternatives.

Edited by Hidden Taco

DJ, I had a re-read of your post because I didnt quite understand the first time (your writing wasnt the problem, my brain was).

I think pulling the SGii apart, sanding it back and spraying it silver would be an awesome idea! That would be a much easier option.

Yes, I was the one that purchased it on ebay. There seems to be another one up already by the same seller.

should color match to the silver console then it looks 110% complete project :P

i like minimalist looks... :D

Thanks.

I dont think I could have matched the silver perfect.

If any one wants to see more pics there are here. Also, this was my first project of this nature... I learned quite a lot from it.