Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

Hey guys just noticed this a couple of days ago. It's not covered by a recall or anything?

And how long can I leave it for before it's realy bad?

UPDATE:

So I have had a look under the car and noticed the marking on it when it was repaired last and I'm guessing I'm going to have to get it done again.

I don't know when it was done, must of been before I owned it.

I took possession 23-09-11 @ 86000km

It's now 18-02015 @ 183000km

So does that mean every 100000km I have to get this done?

If so why isn't it part of a service to check and grease?

Come on Toyota I thought you where better then this...

Edited by 07Prodigy

Re int shaft , I just had done ,car out waranty , done only 47,000 k from new. still in contact with toyota australia arguing for refund. interesting to note on 9/02/2015 they issued a recall on the new fj cruiser for intermediate shaft problem. their is definitely a fault in manufacture, and i beleve it should be compensated in or out of warranty if the vechicle has had fair wear and tare .you would expect more from Toyota , who should be honest enough to admit they have a faulty batch, let you all know how I get on.

• Like 2

Hi everyone , true to form Toyota sent me a standard email re int shaft , saying Aussie Aurions are not made the same as overseas ones and therefore there is no recall in australia, so their sticking to there warranty 3 years and at their discretion, I say to you people all who are having problems with the intermediate steering shaft, email toyota customer service let them know you have problems with it , If we dont tell them they have a problem, then they wont act. Their is nothing like people power. Do us all a favour , send them an email , regards Paul

What's the eMail address?

Hi everyone , true to form Toyota sent me a standard email re int shaft , saying Aussie Aurions are not made the same as overseas ones and therefore there is no recall in australia, so their sticking to there warranty 3 years and at their discretion, I say to you people all who are having problems with the intermediate steering shaft, email toyota customer service let them know you have problems with it , If we dont tell them they have a problem, then they wont act. Their is nothing like people power. Do us all a favour , send them an email , regards Paul

Edited by nvrau

I am having the same issue in my Aurion. Thinking of taking it to Singleton Toyota. Anyone previously dealt with these guys? Or are there any other good toyota service centres near Newcastle/Maitland area?

Thanks

Edited by Max Payne

• 9 months later...

Sorry to re-open this post, but has anyone had any joy having Toyota fix this if your car was out of warranty? I've got the same issue, but i've read a few comments saying that Toyota will normally replace the Intermediate shaft spline as it is a 'known issue', but does it matter if it's no longer under Toyota warranty? I'm the second owner and car is at 67k (2010 model)

Took ours back to Charlestown Toyota mate, 3 replacement racks later, together with a wheel alignment each time and all was good for a couple of weeks, but the noise/knocking slowly comes back, the latest fix was a grease kit, what a bloody slack ***** fix that is, what it involves is nothing more than packing the splines with grease, but honestly Charlie Toyota couldn't do enough for us even though we bought the car from Newcastle Toyota ( Same mob ) :spiteful:

• 1 year later...

Old thread... 

I just did the fix on my 2007, 225 000km. Didn’t buy thr Toyota kit. Undid the knuckle joint above the spline section of the shaft. Slid the spline section up as far as it goes, cleaned it then pushed wheel bearing grease in around the slide of the spline shaft as I pushed it back in. Refitted the knuckle joint... presto. All good, no more noise.