TIMING CHAIN INSPECTION/REPLACEMENT

I own a 2001 JDM Toyota Runx and I was wondering if any of you folks have inspected or even replaced your timing chain and tensioner. Additionally, I need to find out what your odometer is reading as this will give me some indication as to the longevity of the chain and the tensioner.

Currently, I am at 126000 km and I was thinking of inspecting and/or replacing both of these components in December but figured it would be good to get some feedback as to some of your experiences where replacement of these components are concerned as I wouldn’t want to replace these items if it’s not necessary.

Are you sure you have a timing chain and not a timing belt?

Timing chains don't need any replacement, it is only the timing chain tensioner than needs to be checked at the 60,000kms mark.

Timing belts however require replacement every 100,000kms.

Are you sure you have a timing chain and not a timing belt?

Timing chains don't need any replacement, it is only the timing chain tensioner than needs to be checked at the 60,000kms mark.

Timing belts however require replacement every 100,000kms.

ZZE123 have timing chains and do not need replacement.

I have however replaced my drive belt when I got the car at about 50,000KMs. Just a pre-caution :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the responses so far however, I am having some difficulty believing that the timing chanin does not need replacement since it is a chain and it can fail (bicycles and motorcycles have chains that pop) and I'd much rather be proactive about it and save my engine than wait for it to fail and have to buy valves, pistons and possibly a cylinder head if it fails whilst in use.

Hence the reason why I asked as well to list odometer readings so that I can get a guage as to how long a timing chain can last since none of you guys seemed to have replaced your chains as yet. So again, can I get some odometer readings.

I appreciate all the responses so far however, I am having some difficulty believing that the timing chanin does not need replacement since it is a chain and it can fail (bicycles and motorcycles have chains that pop) and I'd much rather be proactive about it and save my engine than wait for it to fail and have to buy valves, pistons and possibly a cylinder head if it fails whilst in use.

Hence the reason why I asked as well to list odometer readings so that I can get a guage as to how long a timing chain can last since none of you guys seemed to have replaced your chains as yet. So again, can I get some odometer readings.

Timing chains do not have set replacement schedules - they are "life of the vehicle" as long as the tensioners and guides are in good condition, but can still fail etc, and you replace them if you start to hear rattling. Plus modern timing chains are often double of triple row, making them significantly stronger than your typical bike chain.

I actually find some difficulty believing that you are comparing a car timing chain to that of a bicycle LOL :)

Car timing chains are much stronger than and do not fail as already advise, as long as the timing chain tensioner is regularly checked and serviced, so instead of worrying about the timing chain going bust, your preventative maintenance should include the inspection of the timing chain tensioner.

To give you an example: I have a Nissan X-Trail with a timing chain that has done 115,000kms and I know others who have done 250,000kms on the factory timing chain with no problems at all.