Reverse Camera on my new Head Unit

Peter Yeh

For anyone that's looking to install an aftermarket head unit, I installed a JVC over the weekend and it's working fine. My 2011 camry hybrid had the same head unit as pictured by Tchau above. The pin configuration provided by Peter Yeh is correct. The stock head unit outputs 6v to power the reverse camera when you put the stick in reverse. So you need to make a voltage converter and hook it up to a 12V power source to maintain your reverse camera when you go to an aftermarket unit. Go to the link below for a simple instruction on how you can make a voltage converter (12v to 6v) with about 5 bucks worth of parts from jaycar.

http://goo.gl/0aGM5

Hi Tchau, Did you manage to get the reverse camera working with the stock head unit?. i'm also looking at installing a reverse camera within standard head unit.

Edited by JoyiLu

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm trying to install a new head unit for my Aurion Touring 2011 which came with reverse Camera. the problem I'm having is I don't know which pins output for my reverse Cam, does anyone knows the pin layout? Can you advise me how to connect reverse camera to new head unit.Thanks

Yes, I can answer that, have look at your 20 pins connector, on pin 5 is reverse signal , Pin 11 is Video (+) , pin 12 is video(-) , pin 13 is camera (+) (6V) and pin 14 is Camera (-) (6V) , with pin 13 & 14 make sure you convert them to 6V before you hook up to ur factory Camera unit otherwise you may cause permanent damage to your device.any problems pls contact me.cheers

Hi Peter,

Good morning.. I have the same head unit as tchau only black in color. I bought an aftermarket reverse camera with 12v supply and a long RCA video cable that came with it. On my understanding from your post I have to cut this RCA connector and connect the positive wire to pin 11 and the negative of the wire to pin 12. Right?

The 12v to power the reverse cam I can connect it to the reverse light instead, right?

How about the pin 5 (reverse signal) what should I connect in there and what exactly it does? THANKS!

• 2 years later...
On 21 December 2011 at 5:10 PM, Peter Yeh said:

Yes, I can answer that, have look at your 20 pins connector, on pin 5 is reverse signal , Pin 11 is Video (+) , pin 12 is video(-) , pin 13 is camera (+) (6V) and pin 14 is Camera (-) (6V) , with pin 13 & 14 make sure you convert them to 6V before you hook up to ur factory Camera unit otherwise you may cause permanent damage to your device.

any problems pls contact me.

cheers

I recently bought an android aftermarket Head unit and came across this problem as well when trying to connect the stock reverse camera to the after market HU. 

Below is my 20 pin connector from my 2010 Camry hybrid. Looks identical to Peter Yeh's. I'm using his wire identification above. 

It didn't work after 2 tries, I haven't soldered it into place yet as I'm not sure it's right. I have a 12v to 6v converter from Jaycar as well. Here's my connection:

pin 5 (red) reverse signal -> 12v in

pin 11 Video+ (red) -> RCA+ (middle lead)

pin 12 Video- (white) -> RCA- (outside lead)

pin13 Camera+ (black) -> 6v out

pin 14 Camera- (black) -> short to ground with main connector (brown) from the large bunch of wires from the other connector head. 

I short the 12v-in ground with the 6v-out ground with pin 14 and the brown ground wire from another connector. 

Is this right? With the RCA plugged into the HU, nothing happened when I shifted into reverse gear. 

I know this thread is old, but any experts still around?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I figured it out and its working now.

My wiring is correct.

Nowdays some HU have a reverse signal in wire that detects a reverse signal.

Just need to hotwire that to the 12v reverse signal. Done. Case closed :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tabrisli said:

I figured it out and its working now.

My wiring is correct.

Nowdays some HU have a reverse signal in wire that detects a reverse signal.

Just need to hotwire that to the 12v reverse signal. Done. Case closed :)

Good on you, all the head units has reverse signal wire, what I did is I hooked up with my reverse light bulb (left rear reverse light bulb).

• 5 months later...

I've spent 2 days trying to find a wiring diagram that matches my 2011 Aurion and finally I've found this thread. Peters harness is exactly the same as mine so now I know how to wire up my new HU to the existing reverse camera.

thanks gents

• 1 year later...

sorry to resurrect an old thread. looking to wire my factory reverse camera to my aftermarket unit. I have purchased a video retention harness but i am unsure where the 2 wires that come out of the 6V/12V convertor actually connect to. I know they are for GROUND and some kind of 12V but dont know where exactly. My HU also has the purple reverse wire.