CASTROL EDGE 5W40 in 2ZZ

Veez

Hi

Due for an Oil change and a few friends suggested i use Castrol Edge 5W40 or maybe Castrol Magnetec 10W40.

Between the two - Which would be better on the 2ZZGE?

I have used Mobil1 0W40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 before - but cost is a bit too much.

first of all, it's 5w30. and it would be fine in the 2zz. while theres nothing wrong with the magnatec, i think the edge 5w30 is much better suited to a high revving 4 banger - 2zz in a nutshell.

there's also edge 0w40, which is about $30-$35 more than all the other edge oils and harder to find. but thats the one thats actually recommended for your engine.

i bought 5 litres as it was on special at 30 bucks but otherwise i wouldn't have , id much rather place penrite in at the correct weight as JP mentioned.

I used 5w40 in my stivo and I found that it burned a bit too fast.

I have 10w30 atm. Are you sure 0w40 is good to use? Our climates different to jp/

Correction, I'm sure I was using edge that seem to burn quickly/

Edited by Brad-dreama

I use Edge 10w60 in my engine as that's what it's bearing clearances were setup for. It does seem to break down fairly quickly, I do oil/filter changes every 5000km.

With naturally aspirited cars (corollas) there is no need to change the oil earlier than 10,000 KMs, especially if you use quality fully synthetic oils like Mobil1, Motul or Redline as these oils work better the longer you keep it. Turbo cars usually change oils around 5000 KMs mark because of the turbo.

Dont waste money changing too frequently.

I have Mobil1 5w-30. Love it.

I disagree completely but i respect the above opinion. The frequency of oil changes in my mind is reflective on how the vehicle is driven , where it is driven and what it's purpose is. I can 100% guarantee oil change intervals on the same motor with the same treatment will show different results regarding engine life and general running day to day , especially with age, that said if you treat the car well it will serve you well in return.

With naturally aspirited cars (corollas) there is no need to change the oil earlier than 10,000 KMs, especially if you use quality fully synthetic oils like Mobil1, Motul or Redline as these oils work better the longer you keep it. Turbo cars usually change oils around 5000 KMs mark because of the turbo.

are you on crack?

oil breaks down.... and even good quality oil. Oil also helps to clean your engine, capturing particles as a by product of combustion.

The more frequently you change the oil, the less particles of carbon, engine, or any other minute fragments the oil collects in its life, your engine will be subjected to.

irrespective of if you are NA or FI... new oil is good for your engine.

i change my oil frequently, because i want o preserve the life of the engine, keeping it clean, and working efficiently.

MAP81's 1zz has had mobil1 oilchanges every 5000km from new, when the cam cover was removed at 100,000km the topend still looked brand new, perfect bright clean alloy. Lots different to some other 50-60,000km old motors which have the dealer recommended service intervals (not sure what oil used) which have a yellowish tinge under the cover.

MAP81's 1zz has had mobil1 oilchanges every 5000km from new, when the cam cover was removed at 100,000km the topend still looked brand new, perfect bright clean alloy. Lots different to some other 50-60,000km old motors which have the dealer recommended service intervals (not sure what oil used) which have a yellowish tinge under the cover.

I observed that with Castrol Edge 5W30 in my Astina. When I got the car at ~30,000kms, it had the usual mucky brown look to the cams and valve train. But after using Edge every 5k for so long, it becamse a clean polished light golden/honey colour until the day I sold it. It just looked like brand new clean metal with new oil tipped on it. I can't say the same about my TX3 which has had Penrite and Motul go through it for the last 2-3 years it was driven, but it's an old car...

Gav.

are you on crack?

oil breaks down.... and even good quality oil. Oil also helps to clean your engine, capturing particles as a by product of combustion.

The more frequently you change the oil, the less particles of carbon, engine, or any other minute fragments the oil collects in its life, your engine will be subjected to.

i change my oil frequently, because i want o preserve the life of the engine, keeping it clean, and working efficiently.

Think of the cost of your oil change (quality of oil and frequency) vs the cost of your engine. I view it as insurance for my engine

are you on crack?

It really depends on how you drive the car. If you take your car to a track day where it will cop a thrashing for a long while, you really should do an oil change right after because chances are the oil will be burnt out and almost like water.

However, if you do not drive daily, always warm up the car sufficiently before going above 3 K RPM, and dont floor it all the time, then 10,000 KM changes with fully synthetic oil is completely fine.

If you have money to burn then service your car as often as you like, Ill stick with 10, 000 KM intervals and use Mobile 1 fully synth oil.

Edited by Modena

Ok ok I found this artcle and it makes sense why you change it every 5000 KMs even though none of you pricks mentioned it :P

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02dec02k.cfm.

I think I will wait till my warranty runs out and then do 5000 KM oil changes myself for free (cept oil and oil filter costs)

Edited by Modena

Ok ok I found this artcle and it makes sense why you change it every 5000 KMs even though none of you pricks mentioned it :P

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02dec02k.cfm.

I think I will wait till my warranty runs out and then do 5000 KM oil changes myself for free (cept oil and oil filter costs)

A lot of hard driving can also cause a small amount of fuel dilution to the oil, also reducing its effectiveness.

Been using Motul turbo light for the past 60k and my head looks brand new also. Quality oil and changing the oil often is the key.

Just a random note,

Super Cheap Auto is selling these Castrol Edges 5w-40 for $29.90

Sale starts 4/11 (thursday)

Did you mean 5W-30?

D35

my apology :P.. numbers numbers ... :whistling: