1zz to 2zz

ok im considering putting a 2zz in my zze122 wagon, i can get the engine and ecu cheap,whos done the conversion before? any tips ....compatability of wiring plugs from the 1zz loom?

will a 2zz plug into a 1zz loom?

The 2zz ECU has a couple more wires over the 1zz ECU to control lift, easily fixed however by running your own wire to the VVTL mechanism. They use the same plugs too, I haven't gone through and checked the wiring on a 1zz but I know the wiring diagram in the official Toyota shop manual is wrong (for the manual at least).

Don't forget you'll also need the 6-speed box, the 5-speed box is rubbish match to the 2zz.

where is the ecu in our little rollas, i havnt even looked for it haha, what else should i be chasing for this conversion? i will be picking up the ecu ,engine ,fuel pump, i have a six speed already

where is the ecu in our little rollas, i havnt even looked for it haha, what else should i be chasing for this conversion? i will be picking up the ecu ,engine ,fuel pump, i have a six speed already

I thought the fuel pumps are the same. Make sure the engine comes with the injectors though.

In the passenger footwell underneath the glovebox; look under the glovebox (no need to remove it) there will be two plugs, take these out and there you will see the ECU. If unplugging anything I recommend disconnecting the battery, but be aware everything will be reset.

i suggest you start by comparing the wiring of the stock ZZE-123 to the stock ZZE-122 wiring.

Personally if i was to do the swap i get a zze-123 front cut and steal the climate control from that too, then you won't have to be messing around with the ZC triggers etc. However having said that, if you are going only for the motor, then the engine loom alone would be ok.

ZZE-123 in japan has both with or without climate control.

again, compare the wiring diagrams of both vehicles and you will find that there might be a couple pins you need to change/swap then that's it.

The swap should be very, VERY, straight forward if you know what you are doing as the location of the engine mounts are common between 122 and 123, and some goes with shift cable links and throttle cable.

as far as engine swaps go, i don't think anyone here has done an engine swap on a ZZE on this forum, and if anyone has they would probably go straight to a 3S-GTE.

if you're using an australian 2zz, dont forget about the ECU's immobiliser coded to the 2zz keys. Make sure you get the matching keys with your 2zz ECU. Alternative is to get a powerfc or other full aftermarket ECU.