Buying an MR2

mowog

I was looking for a cheap car for the kids to drive because I am getting sick of them backing my car into stuff.

I decided to buy an MR2 SW20... What an adventure that was. Just about every car I looked at had been pimped to death.

Or....

They were too expensive for me to buy for my kids to drive into the ground. Based on what I had seen in Brisbane I ended up buying one from a dealer in SA for $5700. Its a gamble buying a car unseen but I saw it as less of a gamble than buying some of the pimped sh*t boxes for sale in Brisbane.

It arrives next week so I will know then if I have stuffed up.

Standby for more words on my gamble.

SW20 is NOT a cheap car to run mate, even in its G-Limited or whatever the Australian models are called 3S-GE versions, its a sports coupe and generally poorly maintained. Fixing them is a pain in the ***** too + expensive =|

As mentioned handling characteristics can be surprising, be very careful when the footwork (Brakes, Rims, Tires) have been altered from factory specs because generally bad choices result in unforgiving/instant snap oversteer :(

It has the factory wheels and new tyres.

I use to fix cars (and aircraft) for a living so maintenance wont be that costly. My 2 boys will learning how to service cars. My kids are not learners the youngest has been driving for 2 years. All have done defensive driving courses and we will be heading to Willow bank for some track days.

The car arrives on the 25th...

It has arrived...

First it is a 20 year old car so I wasn't expecting much. But it is ok for the money spent on it.

Questions.

1. The power antenna is that shared with any other Toyota's? Someone decided they didn't like the installed one and snapped it off.

2. The steering column cover again is this part shared with any other Toyota.

It needs a wheel alignment the steering feels a bit dead.

The engine feels nice and strong

The clutch travel is a bit short... But if you get the peddle down properly the gearbox shifts nicely

The aircon is nice and cold.

For its age it has fair wear and tear on the body and wheels... Might be time to get the compressor and spray guns out again.

It needs a new steering wheel the outer section has dis-bonded from the steel inner.

I need to find some trim clips hopefully common to other Toyota's.

• 2 weeks later...
It has arrived...

First it is a 20 year old car so I wasn't expecting much. But it is ok for the money spent on it.

Questions.

1. The power antenna is that shared with any other Toyota's? Someone decided they didn't like the installed one and snapped it off.

2. The steering column cover again is this part shared with any other Toyota.

It needs a wheel alignment the steering feels a bit dead.

The engine feels nice and strong

The clutch travel is a bit short... But if you get the peddle down properly the gearbox shifts nicely

The aircon is nice and cold.

For its age it has fair wear and tear on the body and wheels... Might be time to get the compressor and spray guns out again.

It needs a new steering wheel the outer section has dis-bonded from the steel inner.

I need to find some trim clips hopefully common to other Toyota's.

Clips are common, unfortunately not much else is. If you're lucky you might be able to find a replacement mast that is similar to what is in there now (Toyota mainly use 5 or so different mast sizes, but there are some exceptions).

You can buy a steering reco kit - rod ends, bushes, etc. Definitely look into it as I can guarantee that the bushes are probably shot.

The trim clips are done... So bloody simple to do it beggars belief why the last owner didn't do it. (clips from supercheap)

Steering rack has been repaired... Bushes were shot.

New JVC Bluetooth head unit and 4 JVC speakers fitted after fixing the butchered wiring. Taught my son how to install a head unit and speakers.

I have a MOMO wheel amd Boss kit now. I will keep the original wheel I have been told how to repair the the dis-bonded section.

I taught my son how to service it last weekend. This weekend he learns how to adjust the clutch pedal and bleed the system.

Future items

Seat re-trim.... Still deciding on leather or cloth lucky for me we can do the re-trim at home. I am thinking leather...

On a brighter note my Mini Cooper D Chilli arrived this week. I ordered it August. The Harmon Kardon audio system is just bloody awesome for an OEM system.

i wish my dad and i could do these things together... unfortunatly cars arent really his thing anymore! all sounds good and i think you will have a great time with the car as your looking after it and rectifying any issues or faults your finding. Good luck with it all!

Well kept MR2 (both SW20s and AW11s) are hard to find!

A standard steering wheel shouldn't be too hard to find on the 2nd hand market, I remember selling my one for the cost of the night's meal at an MR2 gathering!

The original wheel will be repaired and stored.

The plan for this car is to fix its issues and keep it standard. I am not aiming for a concourse car.

The next item is the seats.

Does anyone know if the original seat fabrics are still available? My interior is blue.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...