AUX input mod - PM's sent to DJKOR regarding this mod will go unanswered.

shane_85

hey dj... ya wanna make me a plug and play unit for $50? :lol:

:lol: got lazy? :lol:

I don't see why not. I will have some time free before I have to start travelling again so this sounds like a possibility. I still have to fit your suspension stuff too, so let me know when you are available.

Hey great stuff... thanks shane. This is basically what I was going to do but you have just made it a whole lot easier for me. I have the 4 disc changer with satnav in mine.... it has the aux input on the back of the my unit. Why toyota release the vehicle without an in car connection to it beats me!!

Which plug did you use? Looking through those manuals, as well as my own unit, I'm unable to find the corrosponding plug behind the satnav unit (pictures included)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction here?

post-13080-1262492319_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1262492330_thumb.jpg

Counting the pins is a good start if you are having difficulty. Anyways to make it easy for you, here is what you should be looking at:

headunitpinoutrear.jpg

headunitplugs.jpg

Counting the pins is a good start if you are having difficulty. Anyways to make it easy for you, here is what you should be looking at:

headunitpinoutrear.jpg

headunitplugs.jpg

That's the plug I was currently experimenting with - however grounding F8-19 through a resistor has not given me the AUX option when cycling through MODE on the steering wheel...

That's the plug I was currently experimenting with - however grounding F8-19 through a resistor has not given me the AUX option when cycling through MODE on the steering wheel...

You're definitely grounding the right pin? When you look at the back of the connector on the head unit, pin 19 is the second from the left on the lower row just like in this diagram:

newpicturev.png

And you are definitely using a 1k ohm resistor?

Apart from that, just make sure you have a solid connection with the pin when you connect the socket.

Knowing me, it's probably just not getting a good connection - hence I just soldered it directly to where the plug attaches to the PCB. Not much space, but all done and the good ol multi-meter shows no shorts between soldering.

I'll be trying everything from a 0.100 kohm resistor to a 0.9kohm resistor. they're all I have around.

Well no luck. Final test with multimeter shows wires are exactly where they should be, and don't short against anything either (nor each other).

Using both kinds of resistors grounded to the headunit cage (which multimeter shows to have virtually no resistance between itself a a metal part of the car, hence a good ground) I cannot get any AUX mode to show up by pressing either the Mode button on the steering wheel, or the CD button on the unit itself.

post-13080-1262502580_thumb.jpg

Hey I just managed to get the AUX a few minutes ago.

When I asked Jaycar how to connect the resistor to the plugs, the guy recommended tinning the wire and just shoving it in.

I "tinned and shoved" one end of the wire into the F8-19 (One left one down from top left corner with the clip thingo you push to take it out facing up), and the other end of the wire I connected it to the resistor, and since the resistor metal wire is so thin, I just shoved the other end of the resistor into socket where the brown ground cable goes in(so there is a brown cable and the resistor wire piece both in at the same time) and it worked! :D

Of course this was for testing purposes, and I shall make a proper connection tonight and install it tomorrow :)

Has anyone with the factory SatNav unit got this working? The back of my unit doesn't 100% match up with any unit shown in those linked PDF manuals, and I believe that might be why it's not working for me.

Has anyone with the factory SatNav unit got this working? The back of my unit doesn't 100% match up with any unit shown in those linked PDF manuals, and I believe that might be why it's not working for me.

What a bummer there Steven. You would think it would be that same harness simply because the other wires on that match up with the stock unit... as in the harness where the AUX input is is also the one that has the steering wheel controls and speed signal input. It's also a bit of a huge bummer that it doesn't match up even with the 'Navigation' service manual. I wish I could help, but I think this is out of my hands until I can get a unit to play with.

Steven, I though shane_85 said in Post #4 to use the following connections if you have a factory Sat-Nav unit:

So im ASSUMING (i know its bad to assume but it paid off for me!) from the manual you will be looking at

F14-6(ADPG) to F9-20(GND) - enable the AUX ....through 1K resistor that is

F14-2(VAR+) - Right Signal,

F14-3(VAL+) - Left Signal &

F14-5(VA-) - Signal Ground/Shield

Are you able to locate the F14 connector on the back of the factory Sat-Nav?

I too have a factory Sat-Nav and I am going to do this mod in the next few days.... I guess I should wait to see which connector I should be using before ripping out the factory Sat-Nav... :whistling:

Edited by byw

Steven, I though shane_85 said in Post #4 to use the following connections if you have a factory Sat-Nav unit:

So im ASSUMING (i know its bad to assume but it paid off for me!) from the manual you will be looking at

F14-6(ADPG) to F9-20(GND) - enable the AUX ....through 1K resistor that is

F14-2(VAR+) - Right Signal,

F14-3(VAL+) - Left Signal &

F14-5(VA-) - Signal Ground/Shield

Are you able to locate the F14 connector on the back of the factory Sat-Nav?

I too have a factory Sat-Nav and I am going to do this mod in the next few days.... I guess I should wait to see which connector I should be using before ripping out the factory Sat-Nav... :whistling:

Yeah there isn't any F14 plug. You should be able to compare the pictures I've posted of the back of the unit to that in the manual.

Steven, I was wondering if you can take a look at your factory Sat-Nav and determine whether there are any connectors near where the F14 plug is supposed to be located based on the attached diagram from NS-176? I am hoping there are something there that the F14 plug is supposed to be connected to and we may be able to use them for the mod.... :g:

post-11199-1262594485_thumb.jpg

Edited by byw

Unfortunately there's only a blank area there without plugs.

There is a grey plug as shown in the above picture, that only has a single grey wire running to it - I'm not sure of the purpose of this plug - in all diagrams I've seen sofar it hasn't been labelled (but is included in the pictures).

I've sent an email off to fugitsu ten requesting a pinout diagram, here's hoping they might actually give me one...

Unfortunately there's only a blank area there without plugs.

There aren't even any blank pads on the PCB?

Top suggestion i would say. Even if there is no plug there should at LEAST be some pads on the PCB. It is common practice to have a generic PCB that will or will not perform certain functions depending on the model you get - The pads and tracks are still there, just not connected (Have a look at the motherboard on your PC!)

The other question though is how much other stuff have they left out of the unit if they have decided to ditch one plug? Im assuming if they went to the effort of ditching a plug (presumably for cost saving) that they would NOT bother developing/changing the PCB to exclude it completely? If it does have pads on the PCB where the F14 plug should be, you would have nothing to lose by trying to solder to those pads - just make sure you stick with the 1k resistor rule for poking around.

Where you have originally soldered the wires has a very small chance of working i would say. Your unit does resemble the pictures in the manual for navigation MINUS the plug for AUX (and the one next to F9). This could well be an indication that as well as leaving the pins in the plug blank they have ditched the entire plug assembly for the plugs with no wires in them at all.

Going by the manual for navigation, the connections that you have made (presumably this is plug F10) serve no purpose (that is noted in the manual) for this unit, i.e. are not connected to anything. this of course lines up with what you said... that it did nothing. I assume it did not do anything else out of the ordinary with the connection of these plugs?

I would have my money on checking out where the F14 plug SHOULD be on the PCB and not on getting anything useful from fujitsu ten. I doubt very much that they will give you the information you have requested, you never know tho. On the same note, if you did get something, chances are it would be something generic (as per the toyota manuals) OR a schematic which will be of no use if you have no orientation on which plug is which, especially if it doesnt exist.

Hope you get this sorted out, there has to be a way around it. Dont give up on this yet, im sure there are many people with the nav units anxiously awaiting for you to find the work around!

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you! :g:

okay guys, good news and bad news.

The good news is that I found the PCB connectors for the missing 6 pin plug - exactly where they should be. I was even able to solder wires to the PCB pads, and all test okay with a multimeter.

The bad news, still no AUX. It might have been disabled inside the units firmware is my only guess at this point.

I took plenty of pics, and will upload them after I've got everything back together - as a means to try and get better access to the PCB I disassembled a fair bit of the unit - only to find that the access I needed would probably be the last thing I would get, hence I just soldered it through the small hole I had. It worked, kinda.

okay guys, good news and bad news.

The good news is that I found the PCB connectors for the missing 6 pin plug - exactly where they should be. I was even able to solder wires to the PCB pads, and all test okay with a multimeter.

The bad news, still no AUX. It might have been disabled inside the units firmware is my only guess at this point.

I took plenty of pics, and will upload them after I've got everything back together - as a means to try and get better access to the PCB I disassembled a fair bit of the unit - only to find that the access I needed would probably be the last thing I would get, hence I just soldered it through the small hole I had. It worked, kinda.

Bugger! Thats not what we all wanted to hear!

Look forward to seeing the pics tho. Didnt hear anything back from fujitsu?

Haven't heard back from Fugitsu yet - even if I were, I think it's a little too early yet.

Pictures included show the pads, where I've soldered on - how the wire looks hanging out the back... and a little something I changed just to make it feel my time.

Now to make the rest of everything match it, but that's for another thread.

post-13080-1262773972_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1262773981_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1262773989_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1262773996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven

Actually out of those pads, I didn't try the 2 on the far right, being F14-1 and F14-2. Although the PCB wasn't numbered, all the other plugs number up going from right to left (looking at them), so I'm very sure I've got them identified properly.

Besides in the end I simply ran out of time