AUX input mod - PM's sent to DJKOR regarding this mod will go unanswered.

shane_85

Doesnt look good mate, as i mentioned last night, its possible that they left more than just the plug out of the head unit.....

From what i can see of your picture, there are tracks running from the pads where the plug should be to blank surface mount pads for additional components. I could be wrong but thats what i can gather from your pics.

I think that they have well and truly made sure that you are not able to use AUX with this HU. Short of actually dismantling completely and checking out where things go you will not know for sure but i guess in hindsight, the fact that they have not even connected the plug is probably a fairly good indication that they have gone to the effort of leaving other components out, prob not really a lot you can do in this case. In saying that i guess i started with a remotely similar issue with the AUX in the first place and found a work around for it, might be worth pestering fujitsu for a reply.

I would love to be proven wrong here but i think you have just confirmed that the GPS units will not work with this mod :(

I guess you could always see if there is ANY activity on the connections you have made (resistance, voltage etc) but realistically even if there is activity its not an accurate indication either way... Probably just beating a dead horse so to speak

I agree when I looked at the PCB and saw plenty of unused pads, I wasn't expecting much - but it was a case of nothing ventured = nothing gained

My interest now lies in how some aftermarket modules allow an AUX input (like an ipod) to be attached to these units. There must still be some mechanism that allows for that.

Just thinking about what SecaBoy said about the factory Sat-Nav units...

Does the new facelift Presaras with the factory Sat-Nav have the Aux function?

If it does, does this mean the factory Sat-Nav in the new Presaras have the F14 connector attached and enabled?? :g:

Just thinking about what SecaBoy said about the factory Sat-Nav units...

Does the new facelift Presaras with the factory Sat-Nav have the Aux function?

If it does, does this mean the factory Sat-Nav in the new Presaras have the F14 connector attached and enabled?? :g:

I don't know if there anything different plug wise, but they don't come standard with an AUX port, only the lower models do. Kind of a rip job there

• 5 weeks later...

Just got an aftermarket module that plugs into the back of the factory unit via another plug, and allows connection of an IPOD. It's an entirely different plug than what I've been experimenting on previously - It may be possible to attach an AUX input somehow by studying this module.

Just got an aftermarket module that plugs into the back of the factory unit via another plug, and allows connection of an IPOD. It's an entirely different plug than what I've been experimenting on previously - It may be possible to attach an AUX input somehow by studying this module.

Is it one of those ones that emulate a CD changer? SupaTouring has one of those... SL2i it is called. Would have some circuitry inside it to create that emulation I would imagine.

it actually has three functions, where it can act as a CD Changer, another MP3-CD, or a MD player - I find having it in mp3-cd emulation works the best for me. All of those are also setup to control a third party device (ipod), so I imagine the box would have a bit to do with that. Either way, I need to check how it communicates the signal. If it's by an analogue direct line in approach, fantastic. If however it just reads the MP3 data off the IPOD, then it's a different matter altogether.

Further to my last post, I've been scanning the manuals - and whilst the plug is shown, it's never identified. It's the red circled plug.

The blue is where there is another plug on mine, that isn't even shown in the overseas model.

From the looks of things, I'd say the navigation.pdf file I've been referencing is actually very different to what the Australian model is like.

post-13080-1265523040_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven

Latest update - I've discovered the module does input analogue signal directly into the satnav unit. This means the above red circled plug is actually where the unit accepts the input signal from external devices. The problem, however, is getting the unit to switch to external input mode.

Sofar, by using a resistor to bridge the plugs, I've been unable to discover what actually gets it to switch. In may require a basic CANBUS signal afterall, OR it could just use a basic voltage-differential on a certain input to decide which mode to function in (just me being hopeful).

I haven't pulled the entire headunit out today, so I can't yet say exactly which inputs on the above red circled plug are the line-ins. I should have more time next weekend to tackle it again, and hopefully get more results.

Hey guys, this is my first post so ill try to make it useful as possible. Ive been trawling through this site for a while getting some ideas and heres the first one that has eventuated.

post-16654-1261125794_thumb.jpg post-16654-1261125900_thumb.jpg

It seems that the factory CD/MP3 player on the aurions (and probably the camry's) have provisions for AUX input and that toyota has been too cheap to bothger utilizing it. All they needed to fork out was a few dollars for some shielded cable, ONE resistor and a headphone jack.

Anyway, down to the point. If you pick up where toyota decided to not leave from, this is what you need to do to get AUX input. (Please refer to the Audio_Visual section of the manual avaliable here).

- Refer to page AV-16 to AV-19. P.S mine is the "Standard Model"

1) Connect F8-19(AUXI) to F6-7(GND) through a 1K resistor, DO NOT GROUND DIRECTLY -> AUX will not work if you do this and the original AUX module DOES have an internal resistor (Thanks DJKOR)

2) Test to see that you now have the AUX option by using either the "Mode" button on the steering wheel or the "Disc" button on the HU. If AUX does not appear, then you have failed with step #1.

3) Using a SHIELDED cable, connect the signal inputs for the AUX as follows:

F8-15(ARI) = Right Channel,

F8-16(ASGN) = Signal Ground / Shield (NOT Chassis ground),

F8-17(ALI) = Left Channel

Have a look here for a 3.5mm headphone jack pinout. (Obviously there is more work if your

going to install a socket rather than a direct lead.)

4) Thats all actuall, enjoy your non FM GAYMITTER tunes. :yahoo:

All the stuff you need can be purchased from jaycar for about $5

The hardest part about completing this mod is finding appropriate connections to put into the F8 plug. Because toyota did not put AUX in there, the above-mentioned connections are blank in the plug and do not have ANY wires or clips in these positions.

Have a look here for pics of my install.

Hi mate. slightly old thred. but are you located in sydney?

Hey great stuff... thanks shane. This is basically what I was going to do but you have just made it a whole lot easier for me. I have the 4 disc changer with satnav in mine.... it has the aux input on the back of the my unit. Why toyota release the vehicle without an in car connection to it beats me!!

Hey great stuff... thanks shane. This is basically what I was going to do but you have just made it a whole lot easier for me. I have the 4 disc changer with satnav in mine.... it has the aux input on the back of the my unit. Why toyota release the vehicle without an in car connection to it beats me!!

Hi i also have the same thing, have u tryed it.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Can you post pictures of the back of your unit? Very interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shane, if you're still reading this topic, can you tell me more about your Monster iPod adapter hack?

It looks nice and slimline.. I'd really like to be able to completely hide my install when running, with just the ipod in some sort of harness.

all the cigarette adaptors I've come across so far are too large and their size prohibits closure of any of the compartments they're in.

Whereas you're monster power adapter looks like it will hide nicely.

cheers

Thanks.

Hi,

I am following this topic with interest. I have Presara 2008 and have no Aux input. However my friend has Presara 2009 and has Aux input next to Aux power outlet. His HU is exactly same as mine. I contacted Toyoya for official upgrade to add Aux audio for 2008 Presara but there is none.

My electronic knowledge is very limited but have a photo of back of my HU when was removed for another purpose in a workshop. I thought this might help someone for comparison purpose.

auriongps.jpg

Thanks.

Hi,

I am following this topic with interest. I have Presara 2008 and have no Aux input. However my friend has Presara 2009 and has Aux input next to Aux power outlet. His HU is exactly same as mine. I contacted Toyoya for official upgrade to add Aux audio for 2008 Presara but there is none.

My electronic knowledge is very limited but have a photo of back of my HU when was removed for another purpose in a workshop. I thought this might help someone for comparison purpose.

auriongps.jpg

Looks like the mongrels did provide AUX for the upmarket satnav's in the facelift range then. Shame they'd go so far as to actually cheapen the unit of the previous model just so AUX could not be added.

Hey Guys, its great to see my original post generated so much interest!!

First of all id like to apologize for my absense/ignorance, my wife and i have been very busy tending to our first son who is only a couple weeks old :) On that topic i should probably apologize in advance for my slow replies etc in the future for the same reason.

Anyway, i have been following the thread every now and then and have found it very interesting with regards to the guys who can not get my original mod working. From the limited research i have done it does seem as though the GPS units etc rely more-so on the AVC-LAN protocol.

I originally looked into making a device that would be able to communicate with the GPS units with the AVC-LAN protocol but it looked like a LOT of work and thats as far as i got. Ideally, you would be able to purchase an IC which converts a simple serial stream (or some other simple protocol) into the high level AVC-LAN but unfortunately these chips are pretty much impossible for consumers like ourselves to get a hold of.

I have found a couple of efforts and really good starts to writing software which can emulate these chips but i did not find anything which is tried tested and ready to go.

Obviously the AVC-LAN is not unique to the aurion or toyota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEBus) and there are several other forums which mention and discuss this protocol if anybody is interested (google finds these quite easily).

So to put some actual substance into my post, i did find it interesting that Steven found out that the AUX signal is still analogue with the AVC-LAN and that only the switching is done through this protocol. When i originally looked at the AVC-LAN it did seem daunting the amount of info that is thrown back and forth (and the manner in which this is done) BUT if all we need to do is tell it to switch to AUX, this may simplify the matter a fair bit.

Would love to figure out a solution for you guys but at the moment i have neither the time or resources to do so - not going to rip my HU out and sit on my desk everytime i want to have a play around.

That said, i have been tinkering in my absence and comepleted something else which may be of interest to people; IPOD STEERING WHEEL CONTROL

I feel that this may also generate some interest so im going to start a new thread for it to keep this one clean; be sure to have a look!!

Shane, if you're still reading this topic, can you tell me more about your Monster iPod adapter hack?

It looks nice and slimline.. I'd really like to be able to completely hide my install when running, with just the ipod in some sort of harness.

all the cigarette adaptors I've come across so far are too large and their size prohibits closure of any of the compartments they're in.

Whereas you're monster power adapter looks like it will hide nicely.

cheers

Believe it or not, i got an original Monster FM transmitter with the car thanks to the dealerships dodgy cleanup job (was stuffed down between the seat and centre console). All i did with this was to replace the cable from the charger to the ipod with a shielded 4 core cable - 2 wires for the power and two for the audio (+the shield). obviously the power wires went straight back to the charger and the audio wires were terminated with a 3.5mm headphone jack to go into the AUX mod socket.

Looks nice and neat but is now in a thousand pieces for one simple reason: Noise. I could not find the correctly shielded cable for this application and hence was burdened quite heavily with interference when the car was running which annoyed me to no end. For me there were three solutions i could have used to get around this:

1) Find correctly shielded cable with the configuration i needed - close to impossible for small amounts at a low price

2) Install a noise filter on the outlet where i charge the ipod from - not ideal as not REALLY a solution to the underlying problem (incorrect cable) and $$$

3) Deal with it/ditch the idea and charge as required - This is what i opted for and started on my next project. For a little while i just left the charger

unplugged and plugged it int (and yes, put up with the noise) until the ipod was charged again

Edited by shane_85

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just like to report another successful ipod installation in a 2008 Aurion Prodigy. Thanks Shane and others for the very detailed info. Being a fusspot I would love to know the type of pins that go in the Toyota F8 and F6 connectors and where you can obtain these or an equivalent. We used the "tinned and shoved" technique to connect the home made loom but I am a bit worried about it shaking loose over time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me with "Connect F8-19(AUXI) to F6-7(GND) through a 1K resistor, DO NOT GROUND DIRECTLY ->"

Reading through the threads I know which resistor to buy from jaycar but i'm unsure on exactly how to make this connection? do i need some additional cable to solder on to the resistor (since the plugs are further apart than just the resistor), and also how to connect the wire into the plug?

thanks a lot!!

Edited by s4027318

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me with "Connect F8-19(AUXI) to F6-7(GND) through a 1K resistor, DO NOT GROUND DIRECTLY ->"

Reading through the threads I know which resistor to buy from jaycar but i'm unsure on exactly how to make this connection? do i need some additional cable to solder on to the resistor (since the plugs are further apart than just the resistor), and also how to connect the wire into the plug?

thanks a lot!!

Unfortunately at the stage we are unaware of where you can get the original plugs, sockets or pins. You will have to improvise as best you can with what you have, i have used pins from other connectors that i 'made' fit and others have just tinned the wire and stuffed it in the back of the plug; probably both equally dodgy but both effective.

So long story short, connect the pins with the resistor as best you can as there is no easy way of doing this.