Flashing 4WD Lo and VSC and Engine warning lights

sjreng

On several occassions in my GXL TD 200 Auto when I start the engine the 4WD LO and VSC warning lights flash and the Engine and Stability Control warning lights remain on. After several stop starts the lights all go off.

Today I started the engine and on putting in Drive it had no power, seemed like it was trying to start in 6th gear. I stopped it and on restart the same series of lights came on and again went off after several rrestarts.

My Toyota dealer says Toyota don't know what it causing it or how to fix it.

Has anyone had this issue and has been able to find a fix.

On several occassions in my GXL TD 200 Auto when I start the engine the 4WD LO and VSC warning lights flash and the Engine and Stability Control warning lights remain on. After several stop starts the lights all go off.

Today I started the engine and on putting in Drive it had no power, seemed like it was trying to start in 6th gear. I stopped it and on restart the same series of lights came on and again went off after several rrestarts.

My Toyota dealer says Toyota don't know what it causing it or how to fix it.

Has anyone had this issue and has been able to find a fix.

Thats weird i had the exact thing happen when i was going on holidays in january towing my van those exact lights came on and lost all power had to limp back to toyota 20kph flat strap and one mighty ****** off wife and 6 screaming kids they just said never heard of it b4 and said it was in limp mode reset comp and sent me on my way 2 mins down the road it started again :( chewed through 113L of diesel to do 300k :( topped up at a BP station 5 mins later the thing came alive and hasn't done it since and ive been on a few holidays since

seems like there is a computer glitch or something going on

• 7 months later...

This has happened to me four times. Twice the warning lights have re-set overnight. When the FWD LO light is flashing you can't engage low ratio which caused me no end of dramas on one occasion as I was seriously out bush. On one of the four occasions the vehicle went into limp home mode but otherwise drove normally (apart from the lack of lo ratio).

Toyota apparently has no idea

After more feedback from other owners with the same issue, I purchased a ScanGuage2 ($170 del) and fitted it in May this year, and the lights have never flashed since, and if they ever do the ScanGuage2 can easily clear the codes and stop the flashing I am told. This was a great relief especially when mine were coming on about weekly with one time I was stuck in low range and couldn't go up the Highway, i'd have to keep starting up, stopping and waiting and after 6 or 7 restarts they would go off.Its the best add on I've ever purchased, it has many other features as well. But the real shame is Toyota say it doesn't happen.

• 1 month later...

I also have had this happen, plus a complete loss of engine power (shutdown) whilst towing my 3+ tonne van in rain and two B doubles up my bum. Luckily never got hit by anything but it could have been catastophic if they had as the rear of the van was sticking out on the road. Towed into the Toyo dealer at Shepparton who cleared the codes but never downloaded any data before they did. I asked what happened...."dunno if it happens again bring it back"......great! Has happened once since but this time never lost power and reset itself around three days later. We're heading up the middle and down the WA coast in June so we will see if it happens again. Lost some confidence in the vehicle and want that confidence back. Great tow vehicle but don't like the idea of it losing power in the middle of nowhere so will probably be buying a scan gauge as a security blanket for the trip.

Cheers

Jeff

Lost some confidence in the vehicle and want that confidence back.

Jeff - what year/model is yours - maybe a pattern. I haven't heard of this before and no reference on the LCOOl forum.

Maybe an 09 model thing???

Geoff

G'day Geoff, Dec 2009 compliance, MY10 update version. I have posted a bit on LCOOL re the issues too. I think all told there are 5 of us on LCOOL that have had the same issue, most more than once. It is chipped and I sometimes wonder if that may be an issue but, the first time it happened the chip had been on for over three weeks and 4,000ks of towing my van. The second time was after I had changed the tune (I can also turn the chip off via a switch on the dash) and after approximately 100ks of driving (no van on) so who knows. Toyota have the only realistic option to tow our van other than the F250 Super Duty at 150k which is only for the very well heeled, not me at the moment :rolleyes: but their attitude to people like us who help to keep them in business is nothing short of insolence, got your money so bugger off! This is my fourth Landcruiser and second Sahara and so far this is the only one that has had any reliability problems.

Toyota Austtralia have been advised of both issues, the first time I had a response saying it could be anything, including accessories or any other components or wiring in the car. I had the same accessories on my previous cruisers with no issues so why this one? Very frustrating Geoff. Hope you see no issues with yours.

Cheers

Jeff

....Dec 2009 compliance, MY10 update version. I have posted a bit on LCOOL re the issues...

Hi Jeff,

Touch Wood - I haven't experienced this. It sounds like your car (and the other 4) were made on a Friday afternoon (before a long weekend!).

Clearly you have investigated this far more than I have, so I have very little to offer (apart from sympathy and encouragement).

There are 2 things that might help, if you haven't already thought of them:

- get a scanguage - which (I am told) allows you to read (and subsequently) clear codes. I assume the ECU is doing something strange and tells the engine to shut down. Anyway, the point is that the ECU records all this and retains it. The Scanguage can tell you what these codes are.

- gain access to the code set (I think they are called "DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE" or DTC's). If you pm me on LCOOL with your email address - I can send you the code set I have recently come across (about a 10 page pdf file). My handle on LCOOL is Woodduck

Good luck. Sorry I can't help more.

Regards

Geoff

Thanks for the offer Geoff but I have the codes thanks to I think, Bernie on LCOOL. Yes I will probably get a scangauge before we go to WA later in the year.

The only downside is by clearing the codes it seems the ECU memory for those fault codes is deleted (that's what Shepparton Toyota did) so no fault history. The other thing I found out is that if you wait about 45 minutes you can start the car again but not sure if it goes into limp mode or returns to normal, anyway you probabaly read that thread on LCOOL too.

I really hate not knowing if and when it might happen again. It really shook my wife up the first time (she wasn't in the car the second time) due to the potentially dangerous situation we were in with the rear of the van stuck out in the highway traffic with B doubles barely missing us, pouring rain and lousy visibility was not helping either, luckily we had electrics so the hazard flashers worked.

Cheers and thanks again for your input.

Jeff

Forgot to mention the second time it happened I never lost power, but all the flashing lights etc came up and stayed on for three days, then cancelled themselves????? Again no history. So much for the theory of the ECU being able to recall them and it seems that if any faults sort themselves out the histoy is deleted.

Cheers

.... anyway you probabaly read that thread on LCOOL too....

Jeff,

I can understand your frustration. If it was just about anything else, the vendor would have replaced the product. Doesn't seem to work that way for cars. Something is still to be said about consumer protection (in the car industry at least).

I have read a number of the LCOOL forums - is the one you are referring to titled "200 GXL TTD stalling". Or is there another, specific to your situation.

If you haven't seem the one titled "200 series workshop manuals", have a look at the second last entry on page 1, from Roman.

Good luck in your trip to WA. I hope all goes well.

Regards

Geoff

is the one you are referring to titled "200 GXL TTD stalling". Or is there another, specific to your situation.

If you haven't seem the one titled "200 series workshop manuals", have a look at the second last entry on page 1, from Roman.

Geoff it is "Unexplained loss of power" started by me also Legendts on LCOOL. I'll check out the workshop manuals one not sure if I have read it.

Cheers

Jeff

• 6 months later...

I also had the problem with the lights coming on, took it straight to Toyota because no amount of turning car on and off changed things. They told me its to do with the transmision when it is cold. They entered a new code in and it is back to normal.

• 1 year later...

Hi i have just purchased a 2008 200 series Landcruiser diesel and i had this fault happened just yesterday, i didnt suffer the loss of power but all the lights had started flashing, i had s... myself and took it straight to the toyota dealership in Perth. They advised me they did not know what the problem was that they reset the computer, and advised me if it re-occurs to get it towed back straight to the dealership ,but this morning i went out and started it and it is fine, just to add they were'nt too shy in the charge either.

But the night before i was at the drive-ins with the radio on accessiores for the duration of the movie i was wondering maybe that could of been the problem.

Cheers Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my 200 Series Sahara (MY10).

If you have a chip on your D4D V8 - back the power setting off a bit - it may be the cause.

To reset all the warning lights after this EFI problem, turn the engine off, remove all the main EFI fuses (In Engine bay - 3 I think) for 30sec. Should restart as per normal.

Will let you know if it keeps doing this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

JUST FINISHED FITTING A BEUDESERT SYSTEM AND STEINBAUER CHIP STARTED UP ENGINE AND ALL THOSE LIGHTS WERE ON ITHOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE USED TH WRONG SIGNAL WIRE OFF THE PEDDAL SWITCH LOOKS LIKE ITS NOT THE CASE CAN ANY ONE HELP PLZ CHEERS JAMIE

I decided to increase the RaceChip setting to see what happens - the problem returned!!!

It seems to happen when the engine/autotrans./air is cool and you have just used your right foot excessively.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 2010 200 series LC.The lights have been, on for a few days then off for a week for the past 12 months.I took it to Muswellbrook Toyota and their very capable workshop manager ,Martin.contacted Toyota ,who claimed it was an electrical fault.After many hours searching [dash out etc]they never found the problem although they thought they had once or twice.To cut a long story short ,they found that the cruise control never worked and the problem was in the computer itself .The computer was replaced and all is fine again.

It seems Toyota was right in saying it was an electrical fault.Im very grateful for the effort they made in getting it right again.

• 1 month later...

Had this happen twice with engine light ,vsc , traction control and 4wd lo flashing both times was due to low battery voltage. First time was a legitimate flat starter battery on Fraser Island the day we were leaving. I jump started engine did not loose power but lights stayed on until alternator put enough charge into battery by gympie we needed fuel restarted car after and all faults clear. Second time was a corroded they terminal some boiling water dissolved the buildup restarted car, all lights cleared immediately.

I beleive one cause is low battery voltage and computer shuts down non essential electrics to focus all power to charging and the necessary running components. I have only made an assumption on this based on my experience hope it helps someone but logic says if they need 2 batteries to operate the thing standard, there must be a big drain on power system without any additional extras such as spots radios fridges ect. Ive got a 2010 landcruiser by the way.

Hope it helps guys cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I had this warning come up (check VSC System) the day after purchasing a used 2008 VX Turbo Diesel Land Cruiser with only 90,000 km's on the clock...

The only way the car would start was by holding the engine start button for about 15 seconds, it also wouldn't shift out of park, but by pressing the shift lock button I could get the car into drive & reverse etc...

The car drove normally, I had none of the dramas other people have mentioned in this thread with the car only going 20km's an hour, but after reading the thread I was waiting for it to happen, but luckily it didn't...

I went to my mechanic & he plugged his computer in & the error code identified a fault with the "master cylinder pressure switch:...

Rang Toyota, they said it was $2000 + labour for a reco'd master cylinder because apparently you can't just replace the switch, I nearly died...

Rang the previous owner & he said the car never skipped a beat, I thought he was pulling a shifty & I'd bought a lemon...

I checked all my fuses & noticed the tail light fuse was blown, so I replaced it & it blew again straight away... My mechanic & I were standing around trying to figure out what else it could be when I remembered the previous owner removed the electric brakes he had on the car for towing...

Sure enough we checked out the wiring under the steering wheel where it was previously installed & there were the 4 wires just hanging there rubbing up against the other wires & metal parts of the dash...

He'd obviously just cut the wires & not bothered to tape up the ends... As soon as we moved the wires the warning disappeared... A bit of electrical tape on the end of the wires & everything worked fine, no dramas since...

If any of you guys have this problem & you have electric towing brakes make sure it's not just some dodgy wiring before you do anything, you'll save yourselves a heap of cash & a massive headache...

Cheers, Glen...

Edited by Landcrooza

• 5 months later...

Had this happen twice with engine light ,vsc , traction control and 4wd lo flashing both times was due to low battery voltage. First time was a legitimate flat starter battery on Fraser Island the day we were leaving. I jump started engine did not loose power but lights stayed on until alternator put enough charge into battery by gympie we needed fuel restarted car after and all faults clear. Second time was a corroded they terminal some boiling water dissolved the buildup restarted car, all lights cleared immediately.

I beleive one cause is low battery voltage and computer shuts down non essential electrics to focus all power to charging and the necessary running components. I have only made an assumption on this based on my experience hope it helps someone but logic says if they need 2 batteries to operate the thing standard, there must be a big drain on power system without any additional extras such as spots radios fridges ect. Ive got a 2010 landcruiser by the way.

I had the same kind of experience. Went on holiday to South Africa and car was parked for 31 days. Had to jump start it and after one week same thing. Batteries were too flat again. Try jump start with no suckses. One terminal was heavily corroded so cleaned it and took batteries off. Added a bit of sterilised water and slow charged each battery for 6 hours. Try to start car next morning. Turn enjin very slowly and just manage to start with all above mentioned lights came on. Have to do with low power levels. 7 years and 140'000km I think is a very good record for any battery to last. Time for replacement. Without any spotlights, DVD players or any other execcuries car need 2 batteries to operate. Had same trouble on farm with old tractors with heaps of new technology added to them. Have added a third battery on my tractors and it have fixed the problems permanently. May be the same for ower LC owners with too many excessuries. These cars perform good on long distances but in cities the distances can sometimes just a litlle bit too short to fully charge the batteries.

Hope my contribution make sence and may help some one.

Cheers

Jannie

I had the same kind of experience. Went on holiday to South Africa and car was parked for 31 days. Had to jump start it and after one week same thing. Batteries were too flat again. Try jump start with no suckses. One terminal was heavily corroded so cleaned it and took batteries off. Added a bit of sterilised water and slow charged each battery for 6 hours. Try to start car next morning. Turn enjin very slowly and just manage to start with all above mentioned lights came on. Have to do with low power levels. 7 years and 140'000km I think is a very good record for any battery to last. Time for replacement. Without any spotlights, DVD players or any other execcuries car need 2 batteries to operate. Had same trouble on farm with old tractors with heaps of new technology added to them. Have added a third battery on my tractors and it have fixed the problems permanently. May be the same for ower LC owners with too many excessuries. These cars perform good on long distances but in cities the distances can sometimes just a litlle bit too short to fully charge the batteries.

Hope my contribution make sence and may help some one.

Cheers

Jannie

Me again

I have replaced the batteries with two new once and problem fixed. Car started emedietly with mentions lights still on. Turned enjin off and started again and warning light were off.

What worry me though is why does the TOYOTA workshop workers not knowing these stuff. Its plain common sence.

Cheers

Jannie

• 10 months later...

Hi all: I currently have a Sahara diesel with dual batteries. I am almost certain that the above problem regarding warning lights being displayed, particularly if it's multiple warning lights: (4 lo, VSC, traction, ect.) is due to low battery voltage. After replacing one battery, and then the other, I experience this problem until the new batteries received full charge, then all the lights went out. During the display of these warning lights, it doesn't allow the vehicle to be put into 4 Lo mode. This must be due to the battery power necessary to enable this transition. I would replace the batteries, then monitor whether they have received full charge with a voltmeter after a suitable time, and if not, would then look at the alternator. My bet though is batteries. All the best.