Flashing 4WD Lo and VSC and Engine warning lights

sjreng

hi everyone. i have a 2010 Prado Kakadu, diesel. about 6 weeks ago I had to get a new battery. two days later I started having all of the problems with the flashing warning lights. I would have a bit of trouble getting the car started and then the lights would come on. sometimes they would stay and sometimes not, but whenever the car struggled to start they came on.

mechanic payed around a bit and we had about 6 weeks without. a few days ago, same starting issue and same lights back on.

im really interested to know if anyone has had a definitive answer. we have electric brakes fitted but no other accessories, other than the standard fitted in the car.

I haven't had loss of power issues (yet) but its really frustrating, particularly as we are thinking of selling later this year as we don't need the car for towing anymore. i can try to sell with this going on.

any suggestions????

I once had a 120 series Grande. The override brakes on the boat trailer crushed the trailer wiring. This caused the 4 lo, VSC, traction, etc. lights to come on. At the time I didn't know this was the trailer wiring's fault as the lights were still on long after the trailer was parked in the shed.

Toyota dealer took a few hours of reading to realize that fuses were blown and the computer had to be reset.

So check there is no short circuit of your trailer wiring & check that there are no blown fuses. As mentioned in previous posts, you can fix the problems that cause the lights to come on, but you still need to remove certain fuses to reset the warning lights.

Thankyou all for posting i seem to have solved my problem( My auto elect has at least solved it.)

I took my car down to have a new battery put in , when he had done this he tested the voltage between pos and neg 12.3 volts

then checked between pos and engine earth 14.4 volts

installed new earth from neg to engine block and problem seams to have
been fixed YAHOO who would have thought this would have caused the drama

Thanks

Des

Des

Des

• 5 months later...

I have had this problem with my 2010, 200 series as well but only really gets noticeable when I am towing my van. Completely looses power and blows lots of smoke, also uses a lot more fuel. Have had it back to Toyota dealer this morning they say it is the MAP sensor and seldom fails so none in Australia have to wait for part to arrive from Japan, then may be other faults but can't test until the MAP is replaced.

Oggie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am new to the site, but thought I would contribute, after getting the same warning in my 2009 VX TTD, just recently.

The "check VSC" warning came up, along with flashing 4 lo, ABS & traction control warning lights. In addition, I also had trouble starting the vehicle, and couldn't get it out of park, when it did start, ( needed to use the manual override button). I didn't have any loss of power, and I could engage 4 lo, but was uncomfortable, whilst in the bush, with the family, as I didn't know if I was going to get out.

I checked all batteries, both car & remote, checked fuses, relays etc. - all were ok

In the end, I found it was the brake pedal switch - it was faulty. The tell tail sign was the stop lights, flashing or not coming on when the brake pedal was pushed - I wiggles the switch and all warnings disappeared.

I took it to my friendly mechanic,when I got home, who checked the error codes, and it showed the same, plus other errors - he reset them, and all appears ok at the moment

Will keep you informed.

• 4 months later...

to taxman. 

after a yr of it always coming on and being stuck in high or low in vic alps. thankyou very much. removing fuse 3 in engine bay solves problem instantly and gets you straight back into 4low or vice versa. much appreciated after many frustrating times out on the track.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem with my 2009 VX turbo diesel Landcruiser. Have had a scan done which has shown a P004B DTC. ( Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid 'B" open circuit).  Occurs under heavier acceleration resulting in engine going into Limp Mode with loss of power. Usually clears itself overnight. However if I actuate the Cruise Control as soon as I start the engine it does not occur under normal and heavier acceleration. Mechanic advised that I need to replace the Turbocharger Electronic Stepper Motor/Actuator "B" Bank.  Booking in vehicle to have this done this week. Will advise outcome.

Hi I had the same sort of problem it was a wire touching under the dash it can be earth or power and up sets the computer

John

Thanks for that information Cleo. I will certainly ask the mechanic to check that out and other possible wiring issues before he commences replacing expensive components.

Bano

• 11 months later...

Hi all

I have had this problem in my 2010 Prado and ive  have a engine data scan it puts up a code P0400 which is EGR blocked or outside EGR values , if you are experiencing this your EGR may be blocked and have to get it cleaned .

Tony

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 GXL had it since new and just hit 350k now the lights come on. Locks in 4th and is a pain, typical speak to Toyota and they never heard of it before. 

• 2 months later...

I have a Landcruiser 200 series V8 twin turbo diesel. I have had this same problem a couple of times. I set the trip meter at the neutral mark I. E. No numbers and turned off the car. Came back a few minutes later and turned on, and presto the lights had gone off. The trip meter set itself back to the mileage setting and not where it was when it was turned off. 

Edited by TasCruiser
Missing a word

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen. Been reading your posts. I have LC200 V8 Petrol and also have had the same issue for years!! Always been when towing and ambient temp was high. 
toyota say it’s Catalytic Convertor, but they really dont know. Firstly they said it was MAS, but it wasn’t that. They also saying could be transmission overheating!!

Anyway, I think it is voltage related, but really, NO ONE KNOWS!’ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This is an indication of an EGR Fault.  I restricted the return exhaust gas flow at the cast alumunium  right angle fitting by inserting a metal plate with a small hole in it.(6mm)

The mentioned lights come on about once a week at random intervals. As I have a Scangauge, I am able to reset the codes easily. Toyota does know about the light sequence but appears to be ignorant as far as customers are concerned. 

• 4 months later...

I have just had the exact same thing occur. I have a LC200, 2008 with 308k on the clock. It runs as good as the day I bought it 13 yrs ago. I have found that initially I couldn't get over 40kph. If I stop and turn off the engine and then restart the lights keep flashing but the power returned. I have just travelled through Adelaide with the van and the lights suddenly came on. I stopped and restarted at 3 sets of traffic lights and then the lights disappeared. Glad To hear I'm not the only one.

• 3 months later...

This happened to my 2009 series land cruiser and the fault was an earth fault on one of the main earth points   behind the front fender beside the BBC attery , corrosion point , you need to take the fender cover p kg ate off from the inside t ok get to it .

On 12/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, Ian Chadwick said:

This happened to my 2009 series land cruiser and the fault was an earth fault on one of the main earth points 

I think that's something we all take for granted. It's good to know where all your earth points are located and from time to time inspect them for corrosion because a dodgy earth can throw up random faults and have you chasing your tail fault finding. Straight down a rabbit hole.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, Ian Chadwick said:

you need to take the fender cover p kg ate off from the inside t ok get to it .

Sorry, this gave me a small chuckle.

• 2 months later...

I also have the same light issue on a 2014 Gxl lancruiser

i have disconnected the batteries to get rid of the lights but they come back on randomly?

Hi guys 

I am having the same issue on my 2008 model

the 4lo light came on but I could drive it normally but one strange thing was I was driving forward and the reverse camera came on and stayed on since then reverse camera does not work and no reverse lights. 
I put my obd2 on and scanned and the range sensor switch code 705 came up so I replaced with a OEM Toyota switch only to find nothing has changed. 
I see other posts about battery voltage but mine is at 12.67 for both batteries while it is off. 
I tried the cruise control and that is not working either. 
Since then the more lights have come on 

Only had the car for 5 months maybe a lemon!

But I will work through it ! 
I am doing a full lube change out from back to front next .

any other recommendations would be great 

thanks guys

• 1 month later...

89D8FF91-8650-4500-9249-6F8A75BCB09C.thumb.jpeg.16a1d67cb6903d5279a5fab61f230ee8.jpegHi guys,

I have Toyota 150 Prado and last weekend we travel to Sydney after travel 30km suddenly 4wdLOW  light started to blink with engine light + slippery light. Also I lost power when we driving highway hills. After I disconnect my battery for 20 minutes and restart the engine then all the lights go away and runs normally but next morning When we drive few km and same thing happened. Do you guys any idea about this issue?

lucky 

Edited by Lucky
For add some photos

Hard to say unless someone here is either a Toyota Master Technician OR has had to deal with a similar issue.

Have you had a look in your owner's handbook yet ? It may reference such trouble code.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, Gavin68 said:

Hi guys 

I am having the same issue on my 2008 model

the 4lo light came on but I could drive it normally but one strange thing was I was driving forward and the reverse camera came on and stayed on since then reverse camera does not work and no reverse lights. 
I put my obd2 on and scanned and the range sensor switch code 705 came up so I replaced with a OEM Toyota switch only to find nothing has changed. 
I see other posts about battery voltage but mine is at 12.67 for both batteries while it is off. 
I tried the cruise control and that is not working either. 
Since then the more lights have come on 

Only had the car for 5 months maybe a lemon!

But I will work through it ! 
I am doing a full lube change out from back to front next .

any other recommendations would be great 

thanks guys

Hi all, 

I have just had a look at a mates land cruiser 200 with the same issues and same po705 code. 
has this been a major issue on the 200 series?

load tested both batteries both tested perfect… will check earths when I get it back around for a better look on the weekend.

I have started by pulling all trans plugs and cleaning as this is where I went to first with no reverse camera etc hoping there is someone that knows the fix that for this issue.

fuses have also been checked.

cheers in advance 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - I have had this problem on and off since buying our car secondhand and I found on one of the American forums the recommendation to disconnect the battery for at least five minutes to allow it to reset - works every time but I still don't know what causes it

• 6 months later...

I have a 2011 Land cruiser 200 series- VSC lights came up when I rushed going into low range - it would not come out of low range - pulled the 4wd fuse (fuse box in passenger foot well) and it cleared the problem

But today these lights flashed up for 5 mins then went away - seems Toyota are not acknowledging the problem