manual conversion

Hey guys. Contemplating a switch to a manual and want to know if anyone knows what manual box bolts up to the 2GR-FE??

Or if this is not an easy move, anyone know how to extract some better performance out of the current tiptronic, takes ages to change, auto they currently have....

cheers.

How much time/money are you willing to put into making it work? Because I sure hope you are patient. Though with anything like this, patience is a given.

The gearbox you will be looking at would be an E153. The guy/s doing the MR2 2GR-FE engine swap have been doing this for theirs. You can also get a lighter Fidanza flywheel to go with it as well.

The Aurion would be fairly accommodating since it is based on the Camry body so you can just knock the cutouts out and mount your shifter, clutch pedal etc.

Then there will be the wonderful task of tricking the stock ECU into thinking that the auto gearbox is still there, otherwise it would start playing up on you.

Now be game and be the first to do this to an Aurion. I hear lots of people saying how simple things may be to do or how things could be possible, yet no one has been man enough to attempt such a thing. It's easy to say something, but actually doing it is another.

As for getting more out of the U660E automatic you currently have... there's not much at all that you can do unfortunately except for learning to get used to it.

Drive the car; don't let it drive you.

Are you man enough?

E153.jpg

DJ, you're in a "man up" kind of mood (3/3 of your latest posts) ... anyway!

As I'm not a fan of linking to other forums, I instead point you to a google search for "MR2 2GR":

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=mr2+2gr

Have a good look at the first result, post 10 and 11! Yes, as the post goes on it gets specific to the MR2, but the engine and transmission mating is what you're looking for.

Preview:

"2) Make the engine and tranny mating surfaces work.

2.1) use the m14 helicoil kit to put an m14 thread in the top right bell housing hole on the 2gr motor. it isn't threaded stock

2.2) both dowel pins align, make sure you use both.

2.3) grind out the front of the block where it says "2GR" for clutch hydraulic cylinder. it'll be obvious exactly what needs done when you try to install it.

2.4) do some very light grinding of the same mating surface near the front of the motor for the passenger side output plate to clear. I did this one with a file, it was pretty light interference.

2.5) a bit more grinding towards the back of the motor to get the back motor mount to sit flush. This cuts through one of the unused bolt holes

2.6) ensure the mounting surface is flat from any defects possibly caused by the grinding above. THIS IS CRUCIAL!"

Pitty about all that grinding on a perfectly good block!

Sometimes a little push is all it takes to get the ball rolling. We need less talk and more action. Call it peer pressure if you want... but hey, it get the results. Plus they get the satisfaction of knowing that they can say "take that... I did it".

Look at Evan (Evo7), a little pushing went a long way.

Anyways, it wasn't intended to be a personal attack or anything so don't take it harshly.

I'll take your advice and run with it DJ. funds don't allow for anything that major just yet but I am all for prior planning...i'll stick with the auto for now and learn to drive it :)

thanks everyone...

Sometimes a little push is all it takes to get the ball rolling. We need less talk and more action. Call it peer pressure if you want... but hey, it get the results. Plus they get the satisfaction of knowing that they can say "take that... I did it".

Look at Evan (Evo7), a little pushing went a long way.

Anyways, it wasn't intended to be a personal attack or anything so don't take it harshly.

I agree with your comments totally, people have got to pull the finger out if they want something done. No use them sitting around sucking their thumbs, complaining they don't get what they want!

I was formerly a procrastinator, but I've done a lot of work on that ... Which I will be able to reveal the results of in due time (building a new car takes a while for anyone, particularly with only $50 and a few hours a week to spend on it).

I know your comments weren't anything personal - just an observation on my part, which I agreed with.

All good. Just making sure we're on clear ground. It's just that natural competitive nature. Most people like to do things that others say is hard or impossible. They just need the right motivation.

I can't wait to see your finished project. That takes some serious patience and skill to do what you are doing.

On the topic of the E153, to make the idea even more tempting... how about the fact that you can get an LSD for it. Surely that should be enough to get you excited.

As for me, unfortunately (when looked at in the above perspective) driving an Aurion has become too much of a comfortable daily driver. Despite how fun a manual box would be, I am just too comfortable to keep the auto there. I've grown to actually like the way everything ties in.

All good. Just making sure we're on clear ground. It's just that natural competitive nature. Most people like to do things that others say is hard or impossible. They just need the right motivation.

I can't wait to see your finished project. That takes some serious patience and skill to do what you are doing.

On the topic of the E153, to make the idea even more tempting... how about the fact that you can get an LSD for it. Surely that should be enough to get you excited.

As for me, unfortunately (when looked at in the above perspective) driving an Aurion has become too much of a comfortable daily driver. Despite how fun a manual box would be, I am just too comfortable to keep the auto there. I've grown to actually like the way everything ties in.

Small amounts of drool are beginning to form in the corners of my mouth ...

Considering it will weight under 600kg with me in it, have the same rear track as the aurion front and will have a significantly shorter wheelbase, a LSD would be great (as would a manual)!

The idea at the moment is to get the thing running as soon as I can, leaving room for future upgrades (manual transmission and forced induction are two of these). I'm lucky to be able to get in contact with the guys working for Peter Kittle - the guys who gave the 2GR 600kW at the flywheel ( http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Jimco-2000-buggy-24066/).

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a MCV20R Toyota Camry, Im looking at doing a full manual conversion and dropping in a 2GR-FE. Might sound crazy (Maybe even stupid), but I was wondering, Do the 2GR motors fit in the Camry engine bay? Or is it a right royal pain in the backside to fit engine mounts/loom/etc?