Removing spray paint dust from windows

I was just wondering if there are any chemicals or products which i can use to remove spray paint dust off my car window (didnt tape up one window properly when repaint my door frames) without having to use a razor to scrape (scared i might scratch the glass).

Well my next choice would be the razor blade method. Always use a new blade if you want to minimise the chance of scratching the glass, and hold it was flat to the glass as you can. Doing this, you shouldn't scratch the glass.

Well my next choice would be the razor blade method. Always use a new blade if you want to minimise the chance of scratching the glass, and hold it was flat to the glass as you can. Doing this, you shouldn't scratch the glass.

I will give it a try. Was hesitant using a razor blade in the first place since it was quite a large area.

Cheers.

If you are using a razor. Keep the window as wet as possible with windex! Dry scrape will scratch the windows like anything.

thanks for the tip! hopefully i can get it all off, its really starting to annoy me lol

If you are using a razor. Keep the window as wet as possible with windex! Dry scrape will scratch the windows like anything.

If held right, you won't scratch the glass when dry. I've never had issues.

Even when wet, you can still scratch the glass if not held right.

owned :P

I'm fully aware of this. I used to clean windows for 5 years and have used a scraper on all types of windows thousands of times and a lot of the windows we would clean would usually be where thousands of paint spray has landed on the windows. Yeah, dry scraping MIGHT not scratch but you want to be on the safe side. Plus it makes it easier to scrape on a lubricated on window. If I dry scraped a lot of the windows we used to clean I think we would be in debt millions of dollars having to replace scratched glass.

Also, going too fast will scratch.

Take your time with it and like DJK said hold it right and don't put too much pressure on the window with the scraper.

If its a small or big window I don't see why you would dry scrape. A wet surface will make it much easier as the scraper will glide across the window effortlessly.

yes, i will definitely take my time when doing it. the spray paint dust is really light like a mist.

so, hold it as flat as possible to the window, what about the direction vertically or horizontally? or doesnt matter which way?

Edit: as you can tell, still very hesistant to use a razor hhaha

Edited by DemonRolla

yes, i will definitely take my time when doing it. the spray paint dust is really light like a mist.

so, hold it as flat as possible to the window, what about the direction vertically or horizontally? or doesnt matter which way?

Edit: as you can tell, still very hesistant to use a razor hhaha

It's alright mate. Don't be worried. Just no pressure on the scraper and go nice and easy, let it do the work for you. But by no pressure I don't mean light as a feather but just enough pressure to get the paint to start scraping off.

Something like this: http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/448/44809_300.jpg can give you an example on how much angle you would need.

I've got like three of these in my garage: http://sunxwindowtintsupply.com/images/triumph-6in-scraper.jpg so if yours is straight like that just lean it against the window and tilt it up a bit.

Seriously this is getting too technical just for scraping windows :lol:

Oh god, please don't go anywhere near the glass with a razor blade or scraper. ESPECIALLY on toughened glass like in your side and rear windows.

A clay bar will remove light enamel or acrylic over spray (but struggles with 2pac overspray). Or get some quality paint thinners and it will remove it easily (don't let the thinners get on your paint work though).

I had to remove 2 pac overspray from my entire car, it took forever, but not once did I have to resort to a scraper or sanding the paint.

ohh, i forgot about claying, might give that a try.

tried with the scraping today on a small area, worked pretty well- i really took my time when doing it. finish off the rest when i have more time.

thanks for all your responses

Was scraping for a while until i got into tight corners of the window frame, so i decided to use a dish washing green scourer thing (new of course) with a little Jif. worked a treat! a bit of water and little scrubbing managed to get all the spray paint dust off without any scratches. i'm going to top it off by claying, but will do the windows and my car all at once.. hoping it wont rain :unsure:

Was scraping for a while until i got into tight corners of the window frame, so i decided to use a dish washing green scourer thing (new of course) with a little Jif. worked a treat! a bit of water and little scrubbing managed to get all the spray paint dust off without any scratches. i'm going to top it off by claying, but will do the windows and my car all at once.. hoping it wont rain :unsure:

I have worked in the commercial glazing industry for the last 20 years and you have now pretty much broken every rule in the book.

If you find that when you view the glass in the sun, that you have lots of little scratches, then you will need to get some Sirium-oxide powder (also commonly called jeweller's rouge) to polish them out of the glass. And that is hard work.

Below is an extract from our Maintenance Manual that we supply for our projects on how to clean glass:

Note:

A. Use only cleaning materials which are free of grit and grime (to avoid scratching and marking of glass surface).

B. Use only detergents and cleaning solutions which are recommended glass cleaners. Mild detergents are preferable.

C. Never use abrasive cleaners on glass. Do not use scouring pads, metal scrapers or other harsh materials when cleaning glass. Powder based cleaners (eg. Jif) are not to be used under any circumstances.

D. Some tapes and adhesives can stain or damage glass surfaces. Avoid using such materials unless they are known to be easily removed.

E. When cleaning glass, make sure all dust and grit is washed off before using a drying implement (eg. squeegee) otherwise the glass may be permanently scratched by the grit collected by the implement.

I have worked in the commercial glazing industry for the last 20 years and you have now pretty much broken every rule in the book.

If you find that when you view the glass in the sun, that you have lots of little scratches, then you will need to get some Sirium-oxide powder (also commonly called jeweller's rouge) to polish them out of the glass. And that is hard work.

Below is an extract from our Maintenance Manual that we supply for our projects on how to clean glass:

Note:

A. Use only cleaning materials which are free of grit and grime (to avoid scratching and marking of glass surface).

B. Use only detergents and cleaning solutions which are recommended glass cleaners. Mild detergents are preferable.

C. Never use abrasive cleaners on glass. Do not use scouring pads, metal scrapers or other harsh materials when cleaning glass. Powder based cleaners (eg. Jif) are not to be used under any circumstances.

D. Some tapes and adhesives can stain or damage glass surfaces. Avoid using such materials unless they are known to be easily removed.

E. When cleaning glass, make sure all dust and grit is washed off before using a drying implement (eg. squeegee) otherwise the glass may be permanently scratched by the grit collected by the implement.

oh no... but thanks for those tips.

but to be honest there are no little scratches on my windows.. :blink:

• 2 years later...

I had a bit of overspray on my car windows after a paintjob and all I used was a claybar. Mind you this was a very fine mist of overspray but came of like it was never there with a claybar.

I would be very reluctant to use any kind of abrasives on the glass.

• 2 weeks later...