removing grill to clean radiator

I looked inside my radiator and it got fair amount of bugs wedged in it. It I were to remove the front grill will this be enough to hose down the radiator?

Is it easy to remove the grill because I've never done it before...

I looked inside my radiator and it got fair amount of bugs wedged in it. It I were to remove the front grill will this be enough to hose down the radiator?

For first timer, not too easy especially those who rarely does DIY, like me.. :( Broke a clip of my sportivo grill.

Ask DJKOR, and he'll said doesn't take longer than 5 minutes and very simple. But now, I can do it easily too, at the cost of a clip of course. :P

For first timer, not too easy especially those who rarely does DIY, like me.. :( Broke a clip of my sportivo grill.

Ask DJKOR, and he'll said doesn't take longer than 5 minutes and very simple. But now, I can do it easily too, at the cost of a clip of course. :P

lol, oh crap! I hate broken clips. I seen there are two screws on top. I thought it would have been as easy as removing those screws and pull it off.

Yeah, in addition to those two screws, you have about 4 clips or so holding the bottom part of the grill on. It's easy to remove if you are careful and not forceful in the wrong way. Only takes a couple of minutes.

But if you are going to the effort to clean that, go the whole distance and give her a thorough cleanout. You will get a lot more access.

dsc05812u.jpg

dsc05811h.jpg

In all seriousness, taking that bumper off took 10 minutes tops. You can easily disconnect the fog lights/parking sensors when you remove the plastic trim underneath the bumper (required to remove bumper) as you just reach up from underneath to unplug it all. Then it's as simple as a screw in each side of the bumper up in the wheel arch area, removing the screws and clips at the top of the grill area, then the two blots where your numberplate mounts.

Helpful photos can be seen here:

HOWTO: remove front bumper part1

HOWTO: remove front bumper part2

Edit: Interesting to note, I just looked at that guide for removing the front bumper. Nowhere does it mention about the two bolts that go through the number plate mounting plate and into the front support bar. Maybe this is a TRD only thing?

From my noobness point of view.. I would say outwards...

I wouldn't worry too much if the flow is spread out even tho it's high pressured, but recommended not to use high.. .

Edited by VF-X

I prefer to spray it sideways and from behind where possible (you are limited as to what you can cover from behind). Do not use a pressure hose, or even a hose with a sharp narrow spray. This can cause some of the fins to bend from a little to a lot. I gentle bristle brush with light brushing should help out. Just remember, it's the A/C condenser at the very front. You don't want to really wreck this or anything (more so, reduce it's efficiency).

If you can, try to get some water from behind. Just spray it in through the cooling fans. If you are really game, you could even loosen off the bolts holding the bottom of the A/C condenser in to move it forward ever so slightly to allow you to spray water in between the two. Had to do this when I cleaned mine as there were countless bugs stuck between the condenser and radiator.

Crap... Well removing the bumper looks like a no no for me. I could probably remove it if I can be stuffed but I'm sure that putting it all back together will be a big challenge.

I'll just remove the grill and brush, spray as much as I can.

When removing the grill (after taking the two screws off) how should I remove the rest of the grill from the clips? A pulling up method? A pulling inwards/outwards method? etc...

The Aurion is annoying car to mod. My 97 camry was a dream to pull it apart and back together again. I don't think there was not one thing I did not pull apart on that car. I even removed the whole dash hahaha.

When removing the grill (after taking the two screws off) how should I remove the rest of the grill from the clips? A pulling up method? A pulling inwards/outwards method? etc...

You disengage the clips at the bottom of the grill by either pulling up or pushing down on them (I can't remember) while pulling the grill forward. If you look closely at the back of the grill after removing the radiator trim, it will all start to make sends because you can then see the clips.

You disengage the clips at the bottom of the grill by either pulling up or pushing down on them (I can't remember) while pulling the grill forward. If you look closely at the back of the grill after removing the radiator trim, it will all start to make sends because you can then see the clips.

Alright thanks :)

Guys, I just popped open my radiator cover and I just found the radiator cap. I never knew the Aurion has one!! I don't think its ever been opened in its life time. Anyway, I opened it the the pink radiator water is rusty. Is this normal??? The overflow bottle is prestine clean but the water in the raditor cap is a bit rusty.

Also, I'm having heaps of trouble removing the grill. Both two screws are off on top and the middle clip that u pry open but the bottom is still stuck.

I remembered Daryl saying to push the clip by hitting it from the inside outwards using a hammer or something. To avoid any surface damage, cover the clip with like a piece of cloth. That should do the trick.

I remembered Daryl saying to push the clip by hitting it from the inside outwards using a hammer or something. To avoid any surface damage, cover the clip with like a piece of cloth. That should do the trick.

Thanks, well I still failed it removing it no matter how much I tried. lol. But I managed to clean the radiator anyway by brushing the fins and hosing it all down. A lot of bug crap came out and dust. On further inspection its not rust, I just took some fluid out and put it into a clear glass and its clean. Its the pink fluid that made it look like rust.

In the past, I have successfully removed insects from radiators by using

a compressed air hose, I always use it on the engine side and blow towards

the front of the car, wear protective goggles as you will disturb a lot of

dust and other debris as well. Not sure if you can easily access your radiator

without removing plastic shrouds and panels (as others have mentioned) Cheers,

• 4 years later...