Meguiars VS Mothers VS Others

-DAvo

What Car care product brand do you prefer?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys,

*taken from the mothers thread*

buddy of mine Matt got the masking tape job on his car to show, with a little advice and short amount of time he can fix his very neglected paint.

IMG_1592.jpg

Some rolla shine after some love.!

IMG_1584.jpg

started off look like this .. clean as it could get..

IMG_1578.jpg

George the paint care freak getting into it.

IMG_1580.jpg

Wheel and tyre cleaner doing the hard work while we ate our BBQ.

IMG_1581.jpg

New Wheel and tyre.!

IMG_1582.jpg

This is my black Subaru that I had Clayed and waxed only days before, it look pretty tidy from a distance. After 10 mins with George and a hit with Seal and Glaze, it had us all going WTF. Check out the pics.!

You can just see the small square George did.

IMG_1590.jpg

A few more shots of the same square from different angles. it made the rest of the car look a shade of Grey that had been hit with 1200 grade.

IMG_1587.jpg

Holding up a micro fibre to shade the photo, the square is the paint not the micro.

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Rob.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ill have to admit, being a meguiars fan boy (and still am!) i have recently been testing out a few mothers products... one of these being the step 2 sealer/glaze... gotta say, pretty impressed by the outcome, even on white paint.. (note: all products have had 2 layers of Meguiars NXT2.0 tech wax or gold class plus on top, to seal and protect the finish, all with 12 hour cure time between coats and 24 hours cure time after 2nd coat applied)

comparing to other "step 2" type products ive used in the past, such as meguiars M07 show car polish, Meguiars M205 ultra finishing polish, Meguiars step 2 polish, and a few other random products (Meg fine cut polish, swirlx etc etc) id have to say the Mothers product came very close to the best ive used... dosent have the cutting power as M205 (which is currently still my fave polish) but on a well prep'd surface, the end result is very similar...

compared to the meguiars M07, i found the mothers sealer/glaze to be much much easier to apply and remove.

compared to the meguiars step 2 polish, i found the mothers product to "fill" fine marks better and haze over less.

compared to M205, not the same cut to remove defects, but very similar gloss/reflections. and similar in application and removal.

the other mothers product ive tested recently is the plastic polish... again results were fantastic. very similar to meguiars PlastX, but didnt feel like it had as much cut. more of a "cleaning"... end results were again very very clear headlights to the point where it highlighted imperfections "inside" the light :P

overall from my take of things, id say the Sealer/Glaze product and plastic polish... great products, would probably be a better choice for those who have a more regular cleaning schedule... (can be used over and over again without worrying too much about cutting down your clear coat).. and also probably better for those who already have pretty good finishes on their clear coat (minimal swirls/marks) as the sealer/glaze dosent really have any cut, more of a "fill" effect...

will definately be using mothers sealer/glaze more regularly, between applications of M205.

thanks Mothers for some really good products!

(still a meguiars fan boy thou :P )

Edited by -DAvo

• 3 weeks later...

well after 2 days worth of detailing... ive almost completed my summer detail...

1. wash with meguiars nxt 2.0

2. clay with meguiars quik clay kit

3. 1 pass with meguiars step 1 paint cleaner

4. 1 pass with mothers sealer glaze

this takes us to the following results..

5280312288_c479f895f7_b.jpg

5280312350_082e550842_b.jpg

5280312404_3514a0e063_b.jpg

5279707027_8538a180c2_b.jpg

one step closer to the elusive "white mirror" :P

coming up will be 2 passes of meguiars gold class plus, and finished up with a top coat of meguiars m26.

also some other small details..

wheels will be finished off with mothers all wheel cleaner, and protected with meguiars nxt 2.0, tires dressed with meguiars hot shine gel, windows cleaned with auto glym glass polish.

thanks for looking :)

well after 2 days worth of detailing... ive almost completed my summer detail...

1. wash with meguiars nxt 2.0

2. clay with meguiars quik clay kit

3. 1 pass with meguiars step 1 paint cleaner

4. 1 pass with mothers sealer glaze

this takes us to the following results..

5280312288_c479f895f7_b.jpg

5280312350_082e550842_b.jpg

5280312404_3514a0e063_b.jpg

5279707027_8538a180c2_b.jpg

one step closer to the elusive "white mirror" :P

coming up will be 2 passes of meguiars gold class plus, and finished up with a top coat of meguiars m26.

also some other small details..

wheels will be finished off with mothers all wheel cleaner, and protected with meguiars nxt 2.0, tires dressed with meguiars hot shine gel, windows cleaned with auto glym glass polish.

thanks for looking :)

Absolute credit to you DAvo. When are you going to do mine?

I need a new chamois, i went to supercheap auto but i dont really know what to get. Does anyone know a good brand?

I got mine from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-Genuine-4-0sqft-CHAMOIS-leather-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b69dfdf2QQitemZ170567532018QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Took a couple of weeks to get here, but was happy with it. His parents own the tannery, I believe.

Cheers Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey William - I'll post a few I love:

• Ultimate Quik Detailer, fantastic for spot cleaning after a wash and preserves your coat of wax. Also great for going over the whole car, leaves it very glossy!
  • Non-Acid Wheel cleaner, again great for spot cleaning (or leave it on and hose it off) with a microfibre cloth and safe for all wheel finishes
  • Ultimate Protectant, goes over all plastic/vinyl trims inside and out, smells great and leaves them shiny and UV protected
  • No Smear Glass Cleaner, wonderful at cleaning glass and doesn't leave any streak marks, plus its ammonia free so safe for tinted windows. Their new glass cloth (green in colour) is great too.

There are heaps of others I love but it depends on how "into" detailing you want to get, things like Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, SwirlX, their wax, Ultimate Wash and Wax, the list goes on! They have a fabulous range and are very easy to use, I've had more success with their products than other brands I've tried. Can often get them on sale at places like Super Cheap Auto and Repco, but the dealbusters.com.au always has a 20% off coupon for Autobarn Bendigo so I reckon there might be other stores on there as well.

Edited by Tash

Meguiars all the way. even though its pricy, you get what you pay.

Hi akuma, which are the basic items of Meguiars should I buy?

if you have nothing at the moment and want to set yourself up... then depending on your clearcoat condition...

(IF you clearcoat is in good condition ie. not many major swirls, or scratches)

- Meguiars Gold class wash or Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax

- Meguiars Quik Clay kit

- im going to be controversial and recommend Mothers Step 2 sealer and glaze.. this product is just awsome on good to very good paint work

- Meguiars Nxt 2.0 wax or Gold class plus wax

- Meguiars Ultimate Quick WAX for maintaining your finish...

- good quality chamois/microfibre cloths and also a good quality wash mitt..

if your car surface has a fair few swirls and scratches, then you may need to look into products like SwirlX, ultimate compound etc etc... this can get a bit tricky if you have never done it before.. and i would encourage you to visit the meguiars online forum or even look up meguiars usa on youtube to see how their paint correction products work. just remember always use the least aggressive product first, and work your way up as you need...

hope this helps.

I use the Meguiars range from recommendations from friends and have found their products to be really good. My interior has never looked so good, even looks better than when I bought it new :D thanks to Meguiars

• 1 month later...

So after being a fan of Sonax for a while, I have finally changed brands. The last time I was in Autobarn, the friendly salesman managed to convince me to buy some Bowden's Own Auto Body Wax. I had already hear some positive words from others on the forum here, but I was still a little sceptical since it sounded like the guy was talking it up a bit. I figured I may as well try it out though so I got a bottle.

Tonight I finally gave it a go. All I have to say is that I am thoroughly impressed and I think I will be sticking with this wax instead of the Sonax. This wax is not only easy to apply, but it comes off even easier when dry and leaves no streaks or powdery residue. They certainly aren't kidding when they describe the product on their site. The finish is also very slick and it definitely glistens.

So if I was to recommend a wax, Bowden's Own is certainly on my list.

Doesn't prove anything, but damn I like seeing a reflection:

di-12129804125516.jpg

Might as well chime in here:

Car is in dire need of a wax so I thought using the Mothers Cleaner Wax (liquid) would be a good substitute for removing unwanted watermarks + putting a layer of wax on at the same time (something Meguiars M26 Liquid and M26 Paste won't do).

While it's good at removing light imperfections (it removed all the watermarks unable to removed by washing) I was disappointed with the lustre + depth of the paint colour which the Cleaner Wax left behind. Compared to the Meguiars M26 and Gold Class waxes, it was dull.

I am sure it will protect your car as any wax will, don't use this product as a shortcut when looking for a showroom shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well chime in here:

Car is in dire need of a wax so I thought using the Mothers Cleaner Wax (liquid) would be a good substitute for removing unwanted watermarks + putting a layer of wax on at the same time (something Meguiars M26 Liquid and M26 Paste won't do).

While it's good at removing light imperfections (it removed all the watermarks unable to removed by washing) I was disappointed with the lustre + depth of the paint colour which the Cleaner Wax left behind. Compared to the Meguiars M26 and Gold Class waxes, it was dull.

I am sure it will protect your car as any wax will, don't use this product as a shortcut when looking for a showroom shine.

Hey Andrew, i would highly recommend autoglym Super Resin Polish as a all in one product... easy to use, and stunning results.. follow it up with AutoGlym Extra gloss protection and be prepared for some serious gloss.

ive recently moved away from meguiars waxes, as ive found that Extra Gloss protection simply outlasts, and outshines Meguiars NXT 2.0, Gold class plus, AND M26... and when used after super resin polish, gives the paint a very very glossy/wet look, even on white! plus the EGP has the advantage of not having any cleaners of any kind, so you can effectivly "layer" it, to satisfy your OCD :P

still havent found anything which works as well as M205, and Ultimate compound.. so will be sticking with those for paint correction...

Hey Andrew, i would highly recommend autoglym Super Resin Polish as a all in one product... easy to use, and stunning results.. follow it up with AutoGlym Extra gloss protection and be prepared for some serious gloss.

ive recently moved away from meguiars waxes, as ive found that Extra Gloss protection simply outlasts, and outshines Meguiars NXT 2.0, Gold class plus, AND M26... and when used after super resin polish, gives the paint a very very glossy/wet look, even on white! plus the EGP has the advantage of not having any cleaners of any kind, so you can effectivly "layer" it, to satisfy your OCD :P

still havent found anything which works as well as M205, and Ultimate compound.. so will be sticking with those for paint correction...

By all in one, I am assuming it contains some polishing agents?

I got my hands on a tub of Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax (Blue) and I was pretty happy with that.

I use the Meguiars range from recommendations from friends and have found their products to be really good. My interior has never looked so good, even looks better than when I bought it new :D thanks to Meguiars

Very interesting. I used some Megs dash and was extremely disappointed with it. Maybe I am applying it incorrectly.

Cheers Tom

Very interesting. I used some Megs dash and was extremely disappointed with it. Maybe I am applying it incorrectly.

Cheers Tom

Try using Autoglym rubber and vinyl care for the dash as i use it on all 3 cars i own. Just follow the instructions properly and you should have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hands on some Autoglym Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection and I was pretty happy with the results. The Resin Polish is easy to apply and easily removed but the EGP is extremely easy to apply but once set it is a little tough to remove.

Depth of the colour is simply better than anything i've used. I have some Poorboys Black Hole, EXP and Nattys Paste Wax incoming so it has some big shoes to fill.

post-14703-0-86447700-1300023861_thumb.j

post-14703-0-17103000-1300023872_thumb.j

andrew, i found if you dampen your microfibre while removing EGP it makes its 100 times easier. i learnt the hard way with a white car about EGP "streaking"

but yeah, glad you like the combo.. im about to add the HD wax to the SRP/EGP combo. should be epic :)

• 2 weeks later...