ryco oil filters

As Mick said, absolutely fine. I been using it for my mum's rolla since I've been servicing it. No problems.

Quick note though, your ZRE ('07 & '08) uses the metal oil filter, whereas the '09 ZRE uses the paper kind of oil filter. Not sure about the facelift ZREs, probably paper type too. :)

Peter.

As Mick said, absolutely fine. I been using it for my mum's rolla since I've been servicing it. No problems.

Quick note though, your ZRE ('07 & '08) uses the metal oil filter, whereas the '09 ZRE uses the paper kind of oil filter. Not sure about the facelift ZREs, probably paper type too. :)

Peter.

Metal oil filter? i asked the person at supercheap she gave me the z386 one.

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/product/make/TOYOTA/model/COROLLA/series/2zr/part/Z386

Edited by Ascendant Rice

Metal oil filter? i asked the person at supercheap she gave me the z386 one.

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/product/make/TOYOTA/model/COROLLA/series/2zr/part/Z386

The metal oil filter referred to here is like what you showed here in you link. This is your typical oil filter. The other type of filter is the cartridge style which goes a little something like this (where you replace the element on the inside only):

dsc05577x.jpg

I've always used Ryco filters. Does the job and I think that part number should be correct. There should be a Ryco booklet in store that lets you know what you need anyways.

Might jump over to Genuine filters for OEM goodness.

Lift Yo' (Andrew I think) is selling them for $15 each. Cheap.

Don't like them one bit, I'm not sure how they are for your cars but I've seen them leak from several of my friends cars and my own car (EG Civic), when they switch back to OEM or their associated tuner (Nismo/TRD/Mugen/Blah blah blah) no issues...

Ryco is now made in several different locations depending which filter you use, this includes India and Israeli from memory.

Edited by DreadAngel

I've used probably 20 Ryco filters over the last 5 years and not one single issue - in fact, the only issues I've ever had with oil filters was on two occasions - one when I did my first-ever oil change and had to drill the OEM filter and spin it with a jack handle because it had been done up too tight, and the second time when I forgot to check that the old seal had come off with the filter before I put the new one on (it hadn't, only time that it hadn't too) and on startup the oil ****** out between the old seal and the new one.

I've used probably 20 Ryco filters over the last 5 years and not one single issue - in fact, the only issues I've ever had with oil filters was on two occasions - one when I did my first-ever oil change and had to drill the OEM filter and spin it with a jack handle because it had been done up too tight, and the second time when I forgot to check that the old seal had come off with the filter before I put the new one on (it hadn't, only time that it hadn't too) and on startup the oil ****** out between the old seal and the new one.

Haha same with me. The very first time (ages ago), didn't check if the old seal was still on. Started engine and oil was dripping everywhere.. :clap:

... and the second time when I forgot to check that the old seal had come off with the filter before I put the new one on (it hadn't, only time that it hadn't too) and on startup the oil ****** out between the old seal and the new one.

Haha same with me. The very first time (ages ago), didn't check if the old seal was still on. Started engine and oil was dripping everywhere.. :clap:

Done that as well. I remember when I started the car then checked the engine bay for leaks and saw a huge mess in there, then saw all my oil all over the garage floor. Was quite angry with myself after that. Had to get on my pushbike and ride a few k's to the nearest Repco and get some more oil.

I've never used Ryco filters on my car, but I've fitted them to a few other cars with no ill effect. My dad's Gen4 has been using Rycos for at least the last 3 changes.

I personally have been using K&N oil filters for the last 22,000km and will do so for the next 35-45,000 (huzzah for US priced filters!)

I've used ryco filters for about 10 oil changes or more .....

No problems.

Or you can try the autobarn drift oil filter. A bit exy at 20 bucks a pop.....

Only upside is its got a magnet inside it. If you ask me, kinda looks like a K&N rip off. <_<

:spiteful:

i used to use ryco filters but they are not as good as toyota oem.

for $5 extra, i know what i'd be buying

a small thing is the oil on the seal. toyota fit a piece of plastic you take off and it's already oiled. ryco don't, and i now 99% of you know to do this, but how many finish the job and realise you missed it

whitestivo

a small thing is the oil on the seal. toyota fit a piece of plastic you take off and it's already oiled. ryco don't, and i now 99% of you know to do this, but how many finish the job and realise you missed it

whitestivo

my ryco filter had that plastic thing on it aswell

whitestivo

But the ryco ones don't come oiled.

I have bought a few of them and all come plastic covered, but unoiled. Maybe to protect the seal? Which is one up on Ryco if they do, because the K&N ones come unoiled and un-plasticed.

whitestivo

But the ryco ones don't come oiled.

I have bought a few of them and all come plastic covered, but unoiled. Maybe to protect the seal? Which is one up on Ryco if they do, because the K&N ones come unoiled and un-plasticed.

mine had oil under the plastic? well it was a brown liquid didnt check because mechanic put it in

• 1 year later...

I HAVE USED RYCO FILTERS IN THE PAST AND FOUND THEY WORK FINE , HOWEVER I STILL PREFER GENUINE FILTERS ,I THINK FOR A LITTLE BIT MORE MONEY THERE BETTER OPTION AND FOR WARRANTY YOUR BETTER OFF WITH GENIUNE FILTERS.

Lol if you have seen the testing and the difference between a cut open ryco and a genuine Toyota filter you'd cough up the extra few bucks every time. Also we have from time to time seen vehicles coming in running like a dog, taken the non-genuine filter off put a genuine one and there back running how they should. Even just having a quick look you can feel the differences between the two, the weight the quality of the paper and seals and o-rings.

I'm not using Ryco atm but i'm using some aftermarket filter i bought from HK for my Aurion atm and i can't tell a difference between the genuine and aftermarket in terms of feel. They both look black when i change them.

it is standard for oil filters to let unfiltered oil through. They have a piece of spring steal at the end of the filter media holding it in place, so when the oil pressure gets too high the filter media can move down and let the oil bypass it.

This is important as you don't want the media rupturing under pressure and letting all the metal filth it has collected back into your motor.

This bypass is most common when your oil is cold and thicker than normal, thus generating more pressure on the filter.

Say you have a 60 weight oil start your car cold and pull out of your driveway doing 8000 rpm with cold oil, its going to be applying more pressure to the filter media than usual maybe so much it could rupture, there for all good filter should be able to let oil past.