Installing UHF Radio in LC200

Nomad

WOuld appreciate comments from anyone on which is the best UHF radio to install in the LC200. I really dont want to have to make too many holes in the dash and have heard that spare space in the vehicle is difficult to find. Am considering a GME model with remote mic which I am told has a very small control unit. Would appreciate any feedback from others that might have solved the issue. As a caravan traveller around Australia, UHF radios are a bonus to talk to truckers and other vanners about road conditions and to ensure you are not holding them up.

G'day Nomad,

I recently installed a GME TX3440 UHF in my TLC VX diesel. (I think this is the radio model you mention.)

Did it myself with only a little advice from a pro.

I used NO SCREWS only Velcro. The mike sits on the dash to the right of the temp control arrow.

I attached the main body of the unit to the right of the gear box housing just in front of the seat edge.

I set it up thre months ago and it all works well and the Velcro hasn't come adrift. It probably would not do for heavy offroad work though.

I wiped the metal surfaces of the Cruiser with a rag slightly moistened with mineral turps before applying adhesive black Velcro and applied adhesive White Velcro to the back of the mike mounting clip and the back of the main unit.

If you wish I would be happy to e-mail you photos of it all.

PS If you do get a TX3440 make sure all the buttons work freely. The PWR button on mine kept sticking. The vendors wanted me to bring the whole kit and kaboodle back but I went direct to GME in Perth and hey gave me a new mike no questions asked.

Many thanks for the kind advice and offer. Have found three others in Caravan Parks over the past three days, all using the same GME unit you mention. So I have had a look at the various ways they install them, one on the side like yours, others hidding under the dash, but all with the mic in the same spot.

Just need to find a good deal and installer when we get across to the east coast as its a bit limited in Broome at the moment.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

WOuld appreciate comments from anyone on which is the best UHF radio to install in the LC200. I really dont want to have to make too many holes in the dash and have heard that spare space in the vehicle is difficult to find. Am considering a GME model with remote mic which I am told has a very small control unit. Would appreciate any feedback from others that might have solved the issue. As a caravan traveller around Australia, UHF radios are a bonus to talk to truckers and other vanners about road conditions and to ensure you are not holding them up.

Hi Nomad,

I have one of those UHF radios and they are a great little compact unit, mine is under the dash where you cannot see it and tied on with cable clamps and because everything is on the microphone the lead just rests near the console, no holes or bolts and nice and neat

regards Peter

• 3 months later...

G'day All

Brand new to this forum, previously owned a Patrol (I'll start ducking now) so this is my first Cruiser which I've had for just over a week now so don't know too much about 'em, but **** I'm impressed so far.

I too am curious about the positioning of the radio, I've got a GME TX4400 which I removed from the Patrol before I was relieved of it so I'm also looking to install it in to the Cruiser.

As was mentioned previously there's not a lot of places where one could hang a 4400 as they're a bit bigger than the 3440.

I am getting it fitted professionally as I don't trust myself to fit it to this vehicle even tho I fitted it to the Patrol so any ideas would be great so that I can discuss 'em with the sparky.

Regards

Tubby

Quick question.

The owners manual states that the dealer is to be consulted before installing a mobile radio due to the potential interference to some of the vehicle's electronics.

Can anyone shed some light on this requirement?

Has anyone done so and if so, what were they advised?

Just curious.

Regards

Tubby

• 3 weeks later...

Had you considered an overhead console. That is where I put mine and it is out of the way, superneat job and operates off aux battery. Also the overhead lights are heaps better (but I think the o/hd lights have been improved since my model - 08 GXL).

Re: Interference - that's bull. They are just protecting their proverbial rear end. The UHF radios these days have all the right clearance and protection in-built. With that said, if you put it on top of your bluetooth or normal radio, you are asking for trouble.

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Geoff5

Got a GME TX3420 supplied and fitted.

The remote head is attached to the side of the centre console on the passengers side almost at the top with the mic attached via velcro to the dash just below the passengers a/c temp control.

The radio is located behind a panel out of sight up under the glovebox.

Why the passengers side you may ask?

Because the bride will be operating it while I concentrate on the driving.

Regards

Tubby

• 3 years later...

The following video might be helpful but I am still waiting
a full solution.

http://www.australianimages.com.au/project200/dash-pull-apart.php

Having had problem sighting a CB radio in a 200 series Land
Cruiser, I found the above video. This Video was very useful in assisting with
the location of the CB for a Uniden UH7760NB unit with remote speaker
microphone control unit, but it leaves no idea of the aerial route.

I feel confidant to install the radio, but am reluctant to
strip the fascia down without knowing the route, I have looked around and have
no idea. Can anyone help RayS

Edited by RayS