Alternator problems

Ronnyboy

I used the car a few times today, when i tried starting the car up tonight it didnt start :(

So i assumed it was a flat battery so i called NRMA to replace the Battery.

After NRMA checked the battery he said that the Alternator isnt charging the Battery hence the reason its not starting and quoted me $530 for a new Alternator.

I gotta admit, i know crap all about Alternators, should i just get NRMA to replace it or should i look for a specific brand?

Also what is the life of the Alternaters, my one is almost 5 yrs old.

Did you at all notice a charge light while driving? That usually indicates that the alternator is not operating as it should.

When was the last time you had your battery replaced? If it has been around 5 years, it could probably just be the battery and only that. It may have just happened to be on it's last legs today. Not saying this is the cause, but I know how some people out there just try to rip you off.

And the price he quoted you sounds to me like a bit of a rip-off. It's been a while since I've had to buy an alternator, but I'd be expecting half of that for one to be purchased and fitted. But I can't really comment there.

Have heard of replacement alternators being required for the 02 - 06 models but it usually should last the life of the car. Any symptoms like radio/engine cutting out briefly (like mine)?

Edited by Family Guy

Did you at all notice a charge light while driving? That usually indicates that the alternator is not operating as it should.

When was the last time you had your battery replaced? If it has been around 5 years, it could probably just be the battery and only that. It may have just happened to be on it's last legs today. Not saying this is the cause, but I know how some people out there just try to rip you off.

And the price he quoted you sounds to me like a bit of a rip-off. It's been a while since I've had to buy an alternator, but I'd be expecting half of that for one to be purchased and fitted. But I can't really comment there.

The Charge light did not come up at all.

The Battery was changed a year and a half ago and is still under warranty with NRMA.

At first i thought it was the battery as its been fairly cold in Sydney which i thought may have caused it.So i called NRMA to have a new battery installed For free, after the Tech checked the car, he said its not the battery but the alernator, as it isnt charging the battery.

On the other hand i was going to my warranty booklet, the car still has part of the 3 year extended Mechanical Protection warranty remaining. Looks like that the alternator is covered. Will give the dealer a call first thing in the morning.

Have heard of replacement alternators being required for the 02 - 06 models but it usually should last the life of the car. Any symptoms like radio/engine cutting out briefly (like mine)?

No not at all..

It was the last thing i was expecting to stuff up in the car. I do have Subs in the car but they have been there for almost 5 yrs. Not sure if they would have caused any damage.

Edited by Ronnyboy

That price seems a little steep.

My mother had the alternator replaced in her Hyundai last year, all up for the alternator and installation it was $309. Annoyingly, the alternator was not installed properly and was loose, resulting in a trip to the mechanic. The alternator was installed by the RACV, I suspect they sell and fit generic alternators as opposed to genuine ones.

Perhaps go to Toyota and buy the part from them and get a mobile mechanic to install.

Yeah im having the car towed to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Hopefully it is the alternator and nothing else.

Seriously, if its the Battery, ill be so annoyed, i wasnt able to use the car at all today :(

For reference, my Alternator died around the 98,000km mark (May 2009) and I took it to an UltraTune who were unable to fit an alternative alternator onto it. They had to source the same model alternator which cost me $560 including GST to have it fitted.

Some good news Everyone..........

Had the car towed to Toyota this morning and got the alternator replaced for free :)

saved $530 ( Not sure how much Toyota would have charged if it wasnt covered)

This is the first time ive actually claimed something under the vehicle warranty.

For reference, my Alternator died around the 98,000km mark (May 2009) and I took it to an UltraTune who were unable to fit an alternative alternator onto it. They had to source the same model alternator which cost me $560 including GST to have it fitted.

Mine died out at 106,500 Km and Lasted 4 and a half years.

The Service advisor said that there is no specific lifetime on Alternators. He did say that a few cars less then 1-2 years old needed replacement alternators.

Edited by Ronnyboy

I've heard alternator failure is a common problem on the Gen 5. I know of one person with a 2005 model Altise who recently had to replace the alternator at less than 100,000kms.

Who is the supplier of the OEM alternator in the Gen 5?

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a 2005 Avalon only to get it home and find the alternator has a charging problem. Charging OK (mainly when the engine is cold) one second and not charging the next, a regular off and on charge from 13.5 volts down to 12.4 v. A new alternator looks as though it could cost me an extra $500 on top of the purchase price :angry: . The car's only done 81,000 kms. I thought Toyotas were bomb proof.

If you buy a 'NEW' Alternator then you will pay top dollar. Unless you request a new alternator, most replacement alternators are reconditioned that has lower a purchase price, and they still come with some type of warranty.

You guys should've bought a Gen 4.... 12 years old - 246000km's original alternator!

Man I love my car clap.gif

My old Camry 1995 April model developed battery charging problem after two years, I was nowhere near a Toyota dealer, I went to a roadside auto-electric shop and they tested the alternator and replaced a capacitor for $60. The car with the same alternator is still going strong even today.

K8Canb

You guys should've bought a Gen 4.... 12 years old - 246000km's original alternator!

Man I love my car clap.gif

Im happy with my Gen 5.5 wink.gif

Gen 4's are nice and are good cars aswell smile.gif

Another interesting point to add - before the Gen 6 I had a Gen 3 Camry and I had a problem with the alternator, I would get the light come up on the dash but wouldn't have any other problems, and the car would always start first time every time. It actually turned out to be the switch inside the alternator causing the problem, rather than the alternator itself. And that was sub $100 to fix, my mechanics sourced the switch from a wreckers and popped it in, problem solved.

Pity there are so many reports of that trouble with the Gen 5 though, it's pretty disappointing :( Am hoping they fixed the problem in the Gen 6!! :)

Pity there are so many reports of that trouble with the Gen 5 though, it's pretty disappointing :( Am hoping they fixed the problem in the Gen 6!! :)

I know its sad :( luckily mine was under the new car (extended) warranty so it didnt cost me. :)

The quotes i got for the alternators were over $500.

When i got mine changed, the Service advisor said its a common issue with both Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camry. On that note i have not heard anyone complain about the alternator on the Gen 6 Camry.

I know its sad :( luckily mine was under the new car (extended) warranty so it didnt cost me. :)

The quotes i got for the alternators were over $500.

When i got mine changed, the Service advisor said its a common issue with both Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camry. On that note i have not heard anyone complain about the alternator on the Gen 6 Camry.

Hmm well that's interesting then, I will have to keep that in the back of my mind :) That said I haven't heard of any other Gen 6 owners complaining of that but I don't really know that many either. But I suppose if that's one of the worst things that can go wrong then it's not too bad, despite the cost!

• 3 years later...

Well my alternator just kicked the bucket. For reference, mine is an '07 Altise (bought brand new) and have had the battery replaced once. Suddenly, the other day I noticed it was struggling very slightly to start. And then it was dead when I tried to start it outside a shop. Jumpstarts were temporary fixes and RACQ have checked it, confirming the battery is fine but alternator is dying. My mechanic will be fitting a genuine Toyota alternator in the next day or two. Here's to another 7 years of Camry driving :)

Oh Ronnyboy, I'm Indian too :)

Well my alternator just kicked the bucket. For reference, mine is an '07 Altise (bought brand new) and have had the battery replaced once. Suddenly, the other day I noticed it was struggling very slightly to start. And then it was dead when I tried to start it outside a shop. Jumpstarts were temporary fixes and RACQ have checked it, confirming the battery is fine but alternator is dying. My mechanic will be fitting a genuine Toyota alternator in the next day or two. Here's to another 7 years of Camry driving.

It is unfortunate that you're having Alternator problems. It may be worth while checking out some car wreckers as you could get an Alternator for a fraction of the price.

• 8 months later...

The alternator in the 94 Holden Apollo (Camry with Holden badges!) stopped charging intermittently a couple of years ago. I took it to one auto electrician and he wanted to just pull it out and replace it.

I went home and pulled the brush and regulator assembly out of the alternator and discovered that the brushes had worn right down. I bought some new brushes from a more helpful auto electrician (old bloke like me) for $5. I fitted them, and it was all that was wrong with it.

In my experience, the two most likely things to fail in an alternator are the brushes and the bearings; both of which can be replaced. Changing bearings is a bit more difficult if you don't have the right pullers and such. But even if you have to get a mechanic to pull the bearings, it is still cheaper than an entire new alternator. Bearings from a bearing shop cost less than $10 each last time I bought some.