MWR 2GR-FE parts

MWR looks like they might be making a kit for the 2GR-FE to go into the Lotus Elise. If they do they will then have people wanting to modify the engine; win-win for the Aurion owners.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=5

Cliff notes

We're also months in to developing an all-out NA V6 with more displacement and modified heads and valvetrain. No numbers yet but we're expecting to see 400hp+

I like how they are quoting whp when they measured at the hubs :blink:

holy crap looks like modding your Aurion might just get easier :P once the Lotus boys get hold of them and have a tinker we should be able to flog, beg and steal the odd bit here and there to give the Aurion 2GR-FE so more kick :D how much would it sh!t the TRD boys of you could get a AT-X to 330hp (246kw)320lb/ft (433Nm) without the aid of the dirty (but awesome) red Eaton on top lol :P BUT of course that'd never happen ,not all the bit that make up that total Lotus package would or could easily be fitted to our 2GR but still should be hopefully able to get a half decent gain with some of these bits in the future :lol: :P :D :toast:

Also those headers mentioned on there, anybody want to have a crack at how hard they would be to make fit ?? seem to promise a lot though mmm PR spin lol

Interesting read...hopefully in the near future there might be some nice bolt on upgrades available,an extra 50 or so killerwasps in a N/A Aurion would be great. B)

Don't know how streetable it would be with that much power. Actually considering the low speed traction issues I have (with stock suspension and ****ty, worn tyres :P) I always wondered how the TRD boys managed to go on.

By the way, in all likelyhood anything that would boost the power of an N/A v6 would probably work even better on the supercharged v6 :)

Interesting read...hopefully in the near future there might be some nice bolt on upgrades available,an extra 50 or so killerwasps in a N/A Aurion would be great. B)

lol as awesome as it would be to gain 50 killerwasps it would be a fair effort to transfer the whole 46kw from the Lotus package across to the Aurion I just don't think it's possible? But getting figures that rival the DI 2GR-FSE engine probably wouldn’t be out of the question. Bit more power all the way through the rev range and more torque down low would be the ticket :toast:

how much would it sh!t the TRD boys of you could get a AT-X to 330hp (246kw)320lb/ft (433Nm) without the aid of the dirty (but awesome) red Eaton on top lol :P

Yes it does seem quite funny in a way... but then what if you do said mods to the TRD? Would it still be up front?

Yeah, I've had my say in the past about dynos like that, as well as Dynojet Dynos in general. I would love to see what figures they get on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Don't know how streetable it would be with that much power. Actually considering the low speed traction issues I have (with stock suspension and ****ty, worn tyres :P) I always wondered how the TRD boys managed to go on.

By the way, in all likelyhood anything that would boost the power of an N/A v6 would probably work even better on the supercharged v6 :)

Those of us running modified suspension should be ok...i feel i could get away with a little more grunt and still be able to put it to the road. ;)

Yeah, I've had my say in the past about dynos like that, as well as Dynojet Dynos in general. I would love to see what figures they get on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

As a general rule I take 15% off of USA dynos. No reason why I chose that figure other than the difference between the typical whp figures from USA and AUS dynos for the 2zz.

Some worked Aurions would give the AUDM crowd a bigger scare :ph34r:

how much would it sh!t the TRD boys of you could get a AT-X to 330hp (246kw)320lb/ft (433Nm) without the aid of the dirty (but awesome) red Eaton on top lol :P

Yes it does seem quite funny in a way... but then what if you do said mods to the TRD? Would it still be up front?

lol imagine a standard 16inch wheeled AT-X with that sort of power! Anybody got a mother in law they want to subtly get rid of?? However your right whatever you could do to the N/A engine to get some power gains could always be replicated on the S/C car. 280kw to the front wheels? NICE HAHA

Dynojet dyno's do seem to be pretty "generous" with their figures and easily fudged.

Well how awesome is this little bit of news :)

on a similiar note, anyone know where I can get intake and exhaust manifolds for the engine?

I hear extractors/headers cause limp mode engine response sometimes because of the multitude of sensors.....

mmm it's true the 2FR-FE is pretty touchy with it multitude of sensors but i guess the guys at Monkey wrench racing have found a way around this? Here’s to hoping anyway, I’d be hell keen on some headers. Just goes to prove how restrictive the standard system is, chop out the pre cats and she breaths like a champ.

Without the pre cats would this make the car use more fuel and cause more pollution?

mmm it's true the 2FR-FE is pretty touchy with it multitude of sensors but i guess the guys at Monkey wrench racing have found a way around this? Here’s to hoping anyway, I’d be hell keen on some headers. Just goes to prove how restrictive the standard system is, chop out the pre cats and she breaths like a champ.

Without the pre cats would this make the car use more fuel and cause more pollution?

It's more likely to kill the environment. The cats (not the meow type, the monolith type) on the headers are there for cold starts, as they need to warm up very quickly. Moving them further away means a poorer cold start performance.

I'd say MWR were using the AEM EMS to run the engine and it would be able to ignore the sensors that are having a fit.

Here’s to hoping anyway, I’d be hell keen on some headers. Just goes to prove how restrictive the standard system is, chop out the pre cats and she breaths like a champ.

I think we are close to some real work Aurion results. I'm still waiting:

00UCH what a Aurion!!!!

ok quick update, Im heading out to the T&T tomoro night, the friday im getting my headers installed :) and end of next week gettin a K&N cold air intake. Then on the 17th going to Phoinex lights see what difference it makes. Looking at other specs im hopping for around 260-280hp atw

I personally think 260WHP may be pushing it for expectations... but I tend to be a little pessimistic.

Here’s to hoping anyway, I’d be hell keen on some headers. Just goes to prove how restrictive the standard system is, chop out the pre cats and she breaths like a champ.

I think we are close to some real work Aurion results. I'm still waiting:

00UCH what a Aurion!!!!

ok quick update, Im heading out to the T&T tomoro night, the friday im getting my headers installed :) and end of next week gettin a K&N cold air intake. Then on the 17th going to Phoinex lights see what difference it makes. Looking at other specs im hopping for around 260-280hp atw

I personally think 260WHP may be pushing it for expectations... but I tend to be a little pessimistic.

anything over 20kw is pushing in for an N/A engine in my opinion... thats when thing will start being unrelaible

Be careful about purchasing the parts from Monkey Wrench Racing. A month or two ago, I was inquiring on purchasing a 2GR-FE header from them. They said it would fit but the header was mainly for the 2GR-FE that was installed on Toyota MR2 that swapped in the 2GR-FE engine. If you are facing the header as it would attach to the engine, you'd would have to take into consideration the one pipe that would be to the far left. I know on the Camry and RAV4 (Even when you look at an 2GR-FE engine on the engine stand), that pipe on the far left curves around some other piping. It curves to the right before joining the middle and furthermost right pipe. I'm not sure what it is avoiding (Air conditioning piping?) but it clearly curves to avoid it. The MWR pipe does not have this curve but the shop feels it will still fit without issues. That was one of the things I was concerned about.

The other is what you guys mentioned about the cat converters. Moving them further up stream I could deal with but where are they going to go? They seem almost perfect being where they are, right where the exhaust piping comes out of the exhaust ports, to heat up very quickly. It would take longer for the them to heat up if they were moved upstream but it's a matter of where would you fit them so they aren't too far up. Also, the O2 sensors. There are like 4 of them right? One before and after each of the two cats. You'd have to take into consideration the new location of the O2 sensors. Two of them would have to be after the cat to measure cat efficiency. Got to be sure the stock wiring is going to reach these sensors.

Just some things to ponder if you plan to get their header. I was --><-- close to getting one (Approximate price was $650 - $700 US at the time) but after all the other exhaust piping modifications that would need to be done, it would take the price well north of this.

It would be nice if someone made a header for us that took all of those things into consideration so it would be as close to plug-n-play as possible. Good luck anyways!

BTW: Search for a gentleman's name on the net who goes by 'Gouky'. He was one of the originators of the MWR header to go into the MR2. The guy with MWR name is Matt. Gouky is 'Frankenstein Motorworks'.

DSCN0091.jpgDSCN0092.jpg

Gouky sent me this picture to show how much clearance I'd have with the header from MWR (or from him at Frankenstein Motorworks). It can be purchase from either one of them. Perhaps the 'piping' I was concerned with was the oil dipstick. I have to double check again.

Img_5165.jpg

Edited by Myxalplyx

Be careful about purchasing the parts from Monkey Wrench Racing. A month or two ago, I was inquiring on purchasing a 2GR-FE header from them. They said it would fit but the header was mainly for the 2GR-FE that was installed on Toyota MR2 that swapped in the 2GR-FE engine. If you are facing the header as it would attach to the engine, you'd would have to take into consideration the one pipe that would be to the far left. I know on the Camry and RAV4 (Even when you look at an 2GR-FE engine on the engine stand), that pipe on the far left curves around some other piping. It curves to the right before joining the middle and furthermost right pipe. I'm not sure what it is avoiding (Air conditioning piping?) but it clearly curves to avoid it. The MWR pipe does not have this curve but the shop feels it will still fit without issues. That was one of the things I was concerned about.

The other is what you guys mentioned about the cat converters. Moving them further up stream I could deal with but where are they going to go? They seem almost perfect being where they are, right where the exhaust piping comes out of the exhaust ports, to heat up very quickly. It would take longer for the them to heat up if they were moved upstream but it's a matter of where would you fit them so they aren't too far up. Also, the O2 sensors. There are like 4 of them right? One before and after each of the two cats. You'd have to take into consideration the new location of the O2 sensors. Two of them would have to be after the cat to measure cat efficiency. Got to be sure the stock wiring is going to reach these sensors.

Just some things to ponder if you plan to get their header. I was --><-- close to getting one (Approximate price was $650 - $700 US at the time) but after all the other exhaust piping modifications that would need to be done, it would take the price well north of this.

It would be nice if someone made a header for us that took all of those things into consideration so it would be as close to plug-n-play as possible. Good luck anyways!

BTW: Search for a gentleman's name on the net who goes by 'Gouky'. He was one of the originators of the MWR header to go into the MR2. The guy with MWR name is Matt. Gouky is 'Frankenstein Motorworks'.

DSCN0091.jpgDSCN0092.jpg

Gouky sent me this picture to show how much clearance I'd have with the header from MWR (or from him at Frankenstein Motorworks). It can be purchase from either one of them. Perhaps the 'piping' I was concerned with was the oil dipstick. I have to double check again.

Img_5165.jpg

Ahh man seems like were all back at square one then :( kind of sucks the big one really. 99.9% of the time youre happy to have a engine co designed and built by Lexus except for when you actually want to mod it lol :blink:

wait wait i've got it, surely that red rocker cover have got to be worth atleast 10kw's haha :clap:

Edited by Adamsy

mmm it's true the 2FR-FE is pretty touchy with it multitude of sensors but i guess the guys at Monkey wrench racing have found a way around this? Heres to hoping anyway, Id be hell keen on some headers. Just goes to prove how restrictive the standard system is, chop out the pre cats and she breaths like a champ.

I chopped out the "pre cat on the rear bank, but I had to put sensor on the front bank to stop the errors. Im keen for another setup.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, this is Marc from Frankenstein Motorworks. I figured it would be easier to answer your questions this way.

The headers were originally designed to fit the 2gr-fe into the MR2 application which has a tiny engine bay. both the front and rear use the same part number as a cost savings for production. on the rear the flange comes within 10mm of the carrier bearing casting, about as close as possible. in front it comes about as close to the oil cooler. it does require slight tweaking of the oil dipstick to install but it's minuscule and does not affect it's operation.

The original design reason was that the stock front manifold interfered with the manual transmission's clutch linkage and I figured I'd pick up a few extra horses along the way. it does clear all the engine mounted accessories I've been able to get my hands on and I don't have a reason to believe that the Australian engine uses different accessories from the american one. this means your A/C will fit with these headers. the only power train bit that this interferes is the RAV4's transfer case. there's no way these will ever fit on a 4wd or awd.

Also, the flange outputs are not at the stock locations. you will need a custom y-pipe to fit these to the rest of your exhaust.

it does eliminate the primary catalytic converters which does throw an ECU code but it never puts the ECU in a limp mode. I've put about 37,000 kilometers on my 2GR powered MR2 and the only time it ever went into limp mode was when i lost the accessory belt and the water pump stopped pumping. granted, this new setup may or may not meet emissions in the modern car, but a 2GR without cats has been tested to be much cleaner than a stock 3s-gte with cats. this is all that has been needed to pass most emissions tests (except for California which has a visual check also)

with the headers and a manual transmission everyone that has dyno'd their car gets between 200 and 220 Kw to the wheels or about 235 to 257 Kw at the crank (the E-153 we are using is well documented to have about a 17% power loss through it in 4th gear).

This motor delivers awesome power, the peak is not just the story, the torque across the entire RPM band is massive.

here's a bit of parting hoonage:

with the headers and a manual transmission everyone that has dyno'd their car gets between 200 and 220 Kw to the wheels or about 235 to 257 Kw at the crank (the E-153 we are using is well documented to have about a 17% power loss through it in 4th gear).

Not trying to invalidate the figures or cast doubt, but just mentioning this so that others don't get misled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those power figures of 200kW + at the wheels was on a DynoJet or similar dyno right? I'm not going to argue the way it works, but I personally have seen figures from these dynos stated to be higher than what a Dyno Dynamics dyno would show.

For comparative purposes, since the Dyno Dynamics dyno is more common here in Australia, I think the best example of what figures to expect would be to look at Chris' Aurion (00UCH) which has these exact same headers:

00UCH what a Aurion!!!!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

as DJKOR stated, a 20kw gain is already very impressive however I do believe that up to 40kw with just a new exhaust is not realistic.

It is nice to know that those desiring a full exhaust now have that option, however I believe many will be deterred by the engine code. Is there no way this can be avoided without resorting to an aftermarket or piggyback ECU?

I'm not going to have an internet argument over the gains. ask anyone that has this motor installed (most are in MR2s with these headers) the cars are ridiculously fast and they all dyno out.

The differences in horsepower seem related to the merged diameter. 2.75" (70mm) is required on the MR2 to get full horsepower. since the aurion has a much longer exhaust system i would not be surprised if you needed 3" all the way back. I'd be really curious to see the above guy's exhaust system.

I've been looking for a camry install with pics and dyno. i'll get a hold of him, thanks!